Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design: Ugly or Sexy? Prius?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X looks good. Front fascia I at first wasn't sure about, but it grew on my quickly. The X doesn't look as good as the S, but honestly, I think it would be impossible for it to. It still looks as good or better than most other vehicles out there in the same class.

The Prius looks dopey. It's just a style that I don't like. You see it in a number of recent Japanese vehicles, and the styling probably plays much better over there. Examples include the new Toyota Pruis, Toyota Murai, Nissan Cube, Nissan Juke, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMiEV.

To my eye, Model X is neither ugly nor sexy. It's interesting.

As an SUV, Model X is inherently taller and bulkier than Model S. It will never have the low, sleek profile that Model S has, and that's ok. This is all due to the vehicle function.

This Model X looks fantastic!

Model X Founders.jpg

http://flic.kr/s/aHskmwEkiH

Last edited:
The front doesn't get "ruined" by adding a license tag.
Along with the singleton higher-amp charger, I think it's absolutely brilliant and even humanitarian of them to remove two hard, sometimes agonizing choices that we had to make for a Model S purchase: Legal with front plate or look slicker without?
Spend two grand or risk slower public charging?

As to the overall looks, I am not a good judge. But I wonder: what if the X had come before the S?
[emoji845]

I wish, when I google Model X pictures, all the ugly nose cone mules would go away replaced by great looking final version.
Yeah, google is tricky in that sense. You need to add something else to your search to get new ones to pop up.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that the new X nose is much better than the S.

The X is nothing more than a taller S. Direct profiles from left/right side may be similar to others but it is unmistakenly differently from the front/back/45 degree angles. I think if people think it looks like a Prius then I immediately disregard any future opinion they have of looks. It is not even remotely close, IMO.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/EAFFUe3.png
View attachment 96562

Call me crazy, but it looks 90% different... Maybe it's how bubbly the X is?

- - - Updated - - -

This Model X looks fantastic!

View attachment 96581

That's a nice pic... I sword I'd never go with a black card again though (they show every little swirl mark/tiny scratch).

The front doesn't get "ruined" by adding a license tag.
Along with the singleton higher-amp charger, I think it's absolutely brilliant and even humanitarian of them to remove two hard, sometimes agonizing choices that we had to make for a Model S purchase: Legal with front plate or look slicker without?
Spend two grand or risk slower public charging?

As to the overall looks, I am not a good judge. But I wonder: what if the X had come before the S?
[emoji845]

If I go through with my res, I still WON'T put a front plate on it... I think a front plate makes any Tesla look less epic!

- - - Updated - - -

Usually black car with black rims look ghetto to me. But DAMN that looks sexy. Would prefer tan leather interior myself though.
Really? I've never understood why people like light color interiors? They stain easier and don't look as good IMO.
I really want to see a gun metal gray version with black rims.

Unhappy car. I'm surprised how wed people are to their explosion based cars to require the explosion radiator grill to be on their electric cars. Might as well get a cup of used motor oil to drink while driving, recording of an unmuffled explosion based engine, a blood thirsty arab that wants to kill all infidels with a knife in his hand that already has a lot of experience sitting in your back seat at all times, and compressed ICE exhaust to release into the cabin of your modified grill Model X to complete the experience. Very nostalgic & romantic, all that toxic pollution going into you, if the oil wars and domestic invasions don't kill you first.

Oh, and I already said I love it. Definitely HATE that Prius -- I'd rather look at the dear kill on Hwy 17 I saw yesterday than that.

In all honesty, if Tesla offers better body styles for particular Model X orderers that look either like the Prius or a monster ICE grill just so we get more people off oil, I'm for it. I just think part of the advertising of the Model X really is that it is analogous to synthetic diamonds being better than blood diamonds, unless you are an evil murderer that loves your murdering and wants to rebel in the blood. I've always wanted to make a diamond factory that etched the authenticity of each synthetic diamond into the diamond, and advertise it as authentic synthetic, guaranteed not to be a blood diamond, and made a bunch of money off of it to people with morals.

Last edited:
I heard the front bumper choice on the X was a (very) last minute decision. They (he?) made the decision to take a huge design risk to make a strong identity statement: this is an electric vehicle for the future and they will look very different and make some uncomfortable. I believe he tried to do the same thing with the falcon wings and pulled it off. Looking futuristically different outweighs looking "safely beautiful" on these early models, at least for Elon. And if some think it's ugly, that's just the inevitable cost of this marketing approach.

I heard the front bumper choice on the X was a (very) last minute decision. They (he?) made the decision to take a huge design risk to make a strong identity statement: this is an electric vehicle for the future and they will look very different and make some uncomfortable. I believe he tried to do the same thing with the falcon wings and pulled it off. Looking futuristically different outweighs looking "safely beautiful" on these early models, at least for Elon. And if some think it's ugly, that's just the inevitable cost of this marketing approach.

How is the X's bumper any more of an identity statement than that of the S'?

For the S, both Franz and Elon have stated many times that the nosecone on the S was designed to be safe and familiar. They didn't want it to be too different from a "normal" gas car and scare people away. For the X, they obviously no longer think that safe, "ICE-like" design is necessary, and can make a statement that this is a different class of vehicle.

That's exactly what I meant by "making an identity statement". Thank you for saying it so eloquently.

For the S, both Franz and Elon have stated many times that the nosecone on the S was designed to be safe and familiar. They didn't want it to be too different from a "normal" gas car and scare people away. For the X, they obviously no longer think that safe, "ICE-like" design is necessary, and can make a statement that this is a different class of vehicle.