Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design: Ugly or Sexy? Prius?!

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
SF Bay Area
I think the front is stunning looking -- Franz and his team took a chance with something new and did an excellent job. The rest I'd have to see in person, as it looks slightly awkward from some angles, but I suspect it will look great on the road. Don't think it looks like a Prius. Can't really think of any SUV I think looks really good, but the X is pretty cool.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
I think the front is stunning looking -- Franz and his team took a chance with something new and did an excellent job. The rest I'd have to see in person, as it looks slightly awkward from some angles, but I suspect it will look great on the road. Don't think it looks like a Prius. Can't really think of any SUV I think looks really good, but the X is pretty cool.
Kinda wish it looked like an oversized S

CarlK

Mar 23, 2013
SF Bay Area
Imo,
1. The current gen Prius actually does not look too bad.
2. SUV by nature is not supposed to look sexy, meaning Ferrari sexy.

With those I'd say the X looks elegant but not sexy.

Last edited:

rolosrevenge

Dr. EVS
Feb 7, 2009
The looks of the X don't really do much for me, but I feel that way about all crossovers and SUVs. They are built for utility, looks are secondary.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
The looks of the X don't really do much for me, but I feel that way about all crossovers and SUVs. They are built for utility, looks are secondary.
It may just be me, but I'd prefer some points in the looks department if it meant sacrificing some utility. Honestly though, I think it's more about reducing the drag than anything.

Yggdrasill

Feb 29, 2012
Kongsberg, Norway
Btw, I can't be the only one who sees this when looking at the Model X's fascia.
kXYoJlD.png
That's exactly what I see. The rest of the car looks great, but they should have stuck with the nose cone.

ecarfan

Sep 21, 2013
West Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm an S owner, and I love the X design and the new nose. Think the nose looks better than the S. The X is clearly the best looking SUV/CUV ever! It's very hard to make a big car look that good. Franz is amazing. And a .24 CD is astonishing.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
I think almost universally the back is considered ugly. The front I'm pretty sure most found acceptable. Overall I think "bloated Model S" is the best way to describe the car.

With the new front fascia the reaction has been mixed. Some people love the front, but some think it looks weird without a fake grille.

opposite here. We love the back and side... front? meh.

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
I think it was a right move to make the car look more 'electric'. I like the front a lot and it probably still looks good with license plate.

Last edited:

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
It certainly is not a Prius, does it look as nice as the Model S, not quite but it is an SUV and overall as far as they go it looks very nice. As I have said before was not able to get close enough at the reveal to really see it and with the lighting inside and the fact it was dark on our test ride I still need to see it during the day and up close. I will say that my biggest problem will be the cost.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
The X is SEXY! I'm loving the nose. When I first saw it roll on stage it kind of shocked me, but I think it's magnificent. These cars are going to draw crowds once they are in the wild. Imagine the first time a non-Tesla enthusiast sees the falcon wing doors randomly in person. 90% of people probably have never even seen pictures of the Model X so it will be crazy when they first see one.

I agree that the new X nose is much better than the S.

The X is nothing more than a taller S. Direct profiles from left/right side may be similar to others but it is unmistakenly differently from the front/back/45 degree angles. I think if people think it looks like a Prius then I immediately disregard any future opinion they have of looks. It is not even remotely close, IMO.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/EAFFUe3.png
EAFFUe3.png

No2DinosaurFuel

Apr 16, 2015
San Diego, California
Not to be sexist but i think the model x is was geared towards women. So the looks will only look good to a women. I find it appalling. Like others here said, it is a bloated model s. And the fake grill screams feminine. We can argue all day on whether the model x is sexy or not, but it is pointless. I think we will have to wait for the numbers to really say.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Not to be sexist but i think the model x is was geared towards women. So the looks will only look good to a women. I find it appalling. Like others here said, it is a bloated model s. And the fake grill screams feminine. We can argue all day on whether the model x is sexy or not, but it is pointless. I think we will have to wait for the numbers to really say.

My wife was totally turned off by the nose. We have kids together so I'm quite sure she's a woman :wink:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC