Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X First Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think people will come to appreciate the FWDs until they've spent some real time with the car. A big benefit for me is being able to keep the door open in the garage and walk back and forth without having to close it. A traditional door would have to be closed in order to move past it (assuming there is a wall near the side of the car). So, to load or unload "stuff" in the FWD, I just have to open it once and easily move back and forth since the door is up and out of the way. I used to hate pulling a large box out of the side of my Pilot, then try to close the door with my foot while balancing the large box so I could walk past it towards the front of the garage.

These kinds of experiences won't be valued by a one or two hour review.

I don't think people will come to appreciate the FWDs until they've spent some real time with the car. A big benefit for me is being able to keep the door open in the garage and walk back and forth without having to close it. A traditional door would have to be closed in order to move past it (assuming there is a wall near the side of the car). So, to load or unload "stuff" in the FWD, I just have to open it once and easily move back and forth since the door is up and out of the way. I used to hate pulling a large box out of the side of my Pilot, then try to close the door with my foot while balancing the large box so I could walk past it towards the front of the garage.

These kinds of experiences won't be valued by a one or two hour review.

That, and cleaning/vacuuming the car, loading and unloading younger kids and dogs, being protected from the rain while buckling a car seat, etc.

And don't forget the door speakers - I love having the music play from overhead. I'm looking forward to tailgating in the fall.

Car & Driver review:

2016 Tesla Model X - Instrumented Test

It was almost exactly what I expected: criticism of the falcon-wing doors, but exceptional praise for powertrain and suspension tuning, which they describe as "genius". Other items of note: C&D found the seats comfortable and enjoyed the expanded view of the overhead windshield.

I think this was a fair and generally very favorable review. Obviously the FWDs will continue to split opinions. One notable error--the table at the end lists "base" price as north of $130K, which of course reflects a very well equipped P90D, and not the base, even for the most expensive MX.

Fantastic piece by MotorTrend on a head to head with the Bentley Bentayga.

Just like the rest of us they sound totally double minded. It's phenomenal, remarkable, extraordinary, great price point, exceptional, extraordinary, amazing, astonishing, astounding, sensational, stunning, incredible, unbelievable.
I mean its hideous, ugly, repulsive, repellent, unsightly, over priced. So what is the true verdict?

Just like the rest of us they sound totally double minded. It's phenomenal, remarkable, extraordinary, great price point, exceptional, extraordinary, amazing, astonishing, astounding, sensational, stunning, incredible, unbelievable.
I mean its hideous, ugly, repulsive, repellent, unsightly, over priced. So what is the true verdict?

I thought this was a very strong review.

They rate the X over the $278K Bentayga and rave over the performance and ride quality. They don't like the styling of the X, or the Bentayga or Audi Q7 for that matter. They get a kick out of some of the new tech (especially AP and the auto front doors) but wish there wasn't so much so Tesla could have introduced the X 18 months ago. Seemed balanced but overall extremely positive. Also fun to watch.

Last edited:
I thought this was a very strong review.

They rate the X over the $278K Bentayga and rave over the performance and ride quality. They don't like the styling of the X, or the Bentayga or Audi Q7 for that matter. They get a kick out of some of the new tech (especially AP and the auto front doors) but wish there wasn't so much so Tesla could have introduced the X 18 months ago. Seemed balanced but overall extremely positive. Also fun to watch.

Good, balanced review, and enjoyable. I think they're a little harsh on the styling, but that's personal preference. One nit, however - they raise the 18 month Model X delay to say that it in turn delayed the Model 3, which is not the case - the long pole in the Model 3 tent is the Gigafactory, which is needed to hit Model 3 cost and volume objectives.

So they now have a Model X in the Oak Brook, IL store. So got to actually get in one for the first time yesterday. As an SUV I love it. Loved being able to get in the backseats so easily with the FWD. I am 6'1" and also my 5'11" 14 year old also loved how easy to get in. Now I need to say is that it is still an SUV/CUV and has the same flaws that every SUV/CUV has. It looks much larger on the outside then it is on the inside. This isnt a Model X criticism this is an SUV/CUV criticism. Why I never have had a SUV/CUV and likely never will. Sticking to our Model S and a Model 3 when they arrive. So glad when our kids were small that we had a minivan.

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi
So they now have a Model X in the Oak Brook, IL store. So got to actually get in one for the first time yesterday. As an SUV I love it. Loved being able to get in the backseats so easily with the FWD. I am 6'1" and also my 5'11" 14 year old also loved how easy to get in. Now I need to say is that it is still an SUV/CUV and has the same flaws that every SUV/CUV has. It looks much larger on the outside then it is on the inside. This isnt a Model X criticism this is an SUV/CUV criticism. Why I never have had a SUV/CUV and likely never will. Sticking to our Model S and a Model 3 when they arrive. So glad when our kids were small that we had a minivan.

As a Honda Odyssey owner I hear you, our 2002 Odyssey has lots of space inside (though gets around 20 mpg). Minivans are far roomier than SUVs/CUVs but I have to say that due to flat floor and falcon wing doors, Model X is perhaps the most minivan-like of all SUVs/CUVs.

I drove with four kids ages 7 - 18 plus dog for a Memorial Day weekend trip to the woods, nearly 500 miles round trip, and while there we took several 10-15 mile drives with two adults and five kids in the X, very comfortably. I'm very happy to have the X.

MotorWeek "shot" my car for 9 hours for a show that will debut July 2 on PBS and re-air on July 17 on Velocity. Currently there is a 2 minute promo for it on their site MotorWeek.org
I can't say enough how amazed I am with the vehicle. It has changed my life. I impressed upon the reviewers my thoughts on the car. They really enjoyed driving it, especially the autopilot. We'll see how the show comes out...

MotorWeek "shot" my car for 9 hours for a show that will debut July 2 on PBS and re-air on July 17 on Velocity. Currently there is a 2 minute promo for it on their site MotorWeek.org
I can't say enough how amazed I am with the vehicle. It has changed my life. I impressed upon the reviewers my thoughts on the car. They really enjoyed driving it, especially the autopilot. We'll see how the show comes out...

MotorWeek.org said:
Think of all the futuristic things people have wanted to see in vehicles for years, and you would have the Tesla Model X. Falcon wing doors, autonomous driving, a huge center touchscreen, and of course the ludicrous electric power.

No! People don't want any of those. People want functional doors that don't keep hitting the ceilings and other objects. I will feel safer with a 16 year boy at the wheels. He can at least spot the trucks. They want a roof that protects their heads from the sun and lets them put their bikes and skis on top; just to name a few. I tried my Leaf's acceleration once, and my kids said "no more". FWDs are from the past, not future!

ROTFLOL! Who are these guys? Another one trying to make a name for themselves by associating with the Tesla name?

Last edited:
No! People don't want any of those. People want functional doors that don't keep hitting the ceilings and other objects. I will feel safer with a 16 year boy at the wheels. He can at least spot the trucks. They want a roof that protects their heads from the sun and lets them put their bikes and skis on top; just to name a few. I tried my Leaf's acceleration once, and my kids said "no more". FWDs are from the past, not future!

ROTFLOL! Who are these guys? Another one trying to make a name for themselves by associating with the Tesla name?

Putting a bike on the roof is a fairly certain way to hit the ceiling with an object. And as a parent of teenagers, I would personally think the autopilot and collision avoidance technologies will reduce, not increase danger. But it's clear you've made up you're mind and may even be selling short!

Reactions: madodel