Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Front Suspension Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a link to a Model S rear suspension failure from hitting a pothole. It does seem that based on all of the problems with Tesla's suspensions at a minimum they aren't very robust.

Pothole in Vidor Texas Took the P85 Down
As I posted today at automotive reliability and durability testing as example of other testing at other automakers, I found the clip I was referring to. This is from GM's proving grounds over 1.5 decades ago (and I'm no fan of GM).

I haven't watched this in ages. At minimum watch from 0:30 to to ~1:25 of
. Skip to ~1:01 to see an extreme on/off curb driving test.

One has to wonder what level of this sort of testing Tesla does and what their procedures and guidelines for pass/fail are in terms of robustness.

this dumbass "cmd_keen", probably same person as OP!

Model X front suspension failure | Tesla Motors
Eddie, I think you are confusing my post with someone else's. I never said there was a TSB on the suspension issue, but there is one for the half shafts since it was on my work invoice when I went in for service two weeks ago... and no I am not the same person as the OP :(

Yep. I called the guy out and all i got was a bunch of dislikes :rolleyes:
I know how you feel. I get dislikes for not liking the new Bolt on a Tesla forum. Im honestly disappointed some of these issues are happening. There is another thread of someone refusing delivery on a new P100D who didn't seem to be a very picky person and is very positive about the Tesla brand and he was being called a liar that the windshield has a crack in it.

Reactions: mmd and KZKZ
Eddie, I think you are confusing my post with someone else's. I never said there was a TSB on the suspension issue, but there is one for the half shafts since it was on my work invoice when I went in for service two weeks ago... and no I am not the same person as the OP :(

Sorry, thought your reply to OP was a confirmation of the issue he had with the TSB. By the way I didn't get any TSB on my MX, so not sure what TSB you are referring to. At this point I won't be able to confirm until I get my car back to see if they had some TSB, maybe my service manager was wrong. But will know by next week.

@electricity, you're wrong. I am a real person. My name is Satish Reddy, I work as a chief engineer at NASA Johnson Space Center. You may look me up on LinkedIn. I posted this article originally and uploaded these pictures of my car when it failed in our parking lot where my car is the only Tesla. I do have the Tesla invoice with $0.0 charged that clearly acknowledges this failure and shows which parts were replaced. I have no axe to grind against Tesla. I like Tesla vehicles and wish the company succeeds and is around to take care of warrantee claims, maintenance, years from now.

@electricity, you're wrong. I am a real person. My name is Satish Reddy, I work as a chief engineer at NASA Johnson Space Center. You may look me up on LinkedIn. I posted this article originally and uploaded these pictures of my car when it failed in our parking lot where my car is the only Tesla. I do have the Tesla invoice with $0.0 charged that clearly acknowledges this failure and shows which parts were replaced. I have no axe to grind against Tesla. I like Tesla vehicles and wish the company succeeds and is around to take care of warrantee claims, maintenance, years from now.

Sorry to hear about the suspension failure on your Model X and sorry you have to endure the personal,attacks from some here.

Thanks for posting. There does seem to be an inordinate number of suspension failures. Did you report the failure to NHTSA ?

It really amazes me if someone has a problem with a Tesla they are liars. I see it in so many posts. Maybe it's because so many people here have so much stock in the company? Seems like people more concerned with making some money then a car enthusiast who wants a great car. When I test drove a Model S it was probably the most exciting car I had ever driven. Maybe that's why so many people deal with quality issues. It's comical to me for so many people to deny the serious issues. Really hard to get the truth around here.

Perfect summary.

doubt you will...guy's a faker by appearances....has yet to prove he even owns the vehicle in question...if he was really worried about this he'd come back here and do that.....hasn't bothered so far.....
I have a responsible job, two businesses to run, two kids to chase to respond to every idiot who questions my existence. As I said, my intent was to warn MX owners to not take their suspensions for granted and kill themselves trying to show off to their friends the instant acceleration and handling of the beauty that MX is. As a result of this failure, I'm a little bit more gentle on the car. I hope everyone is of this car or any another car as there could be a flaw lurking in some critical part.

As a result of this failure, I'm a little bit more gentle on the car.
sreddy642,
You shouldn't have to be more gentle on your car!
Again, as I stated over on the Tesla forums, sorry to hear what happened and thank you for bring it to our attention. Hopefully Tesla x-rays the failed part for analysis... then we may have a TSB. Unfortunately, a "known" issue isn't an issue until something like this surfaces. Hopefully your case was just a single bad casting and not failure (over time) due to fatigue. I think it is the former since we have not heard of another case of this happening, at least not on the X.

Not everyone lives on TMC nor has the time to immediately respond.
I do have the Tesla invoice with $0.0 charged that clearly acknowledges this failure and shows which parts were replaced.
Thank you for coming back. I think we'd appreciate it if you posted the relevant portions of your invoice/work order receipt w/the work that was done, excluding any personal information.

And... if I were in your shoes, I'd be filing a safety complaint w/NHTSA at http://safercar.gov/.

Oh, and from a brief glance at your LinkedIn profile, you have very impressive credentials. They're far more impressive than mine.

LFront.jpg
[/QUOTE]

So what was the cause of this particular suspension failure?

Was there any follow up by Telsa as to the cause of the defect?

Status
Not open for further replies.