Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Glass Roof Crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 6 weeks into ownership, my glass roof above the right passanger seat has a crack in it. It is hard to tell what happened and when, most likely something hit hard from outside. From the impact it looks likely to be a small rock or debris. Took it to the Tesla Service Center and they told me they don't have it in stock, anywhere in the U.S. They have placed an order and expected time for it to arrive is 4-6 weeks.

This is a long wait and honesty I have heard of another individual with a crack in the left glass who has been waiting for 6 months for his to arrive.

Just wondering if any of the forum members have any suggestions on who to contact to expedite it?

I just went to the service center in Raleigh, NC and they looked up the part on the computer, ordered it, and gave me a price of $725. When they brought my car back to me and I received the invoice, it was only $425. They said they overestimated the repair time and that it was a very simple job.

I found my invoice. It was actually $442.50
Concern: Replace passenger side falcon door glass with SOP glass that is on the shelf - glass cracked Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 67.50 Pay Type: Customer Pay Corrections: Door Glass and Regulators General Diagnosis Found passenger side falcon door glass cracked Corrections: Door Glass - Rear - Upper - RH Replaced passenger side falcon wing upper glass Part Quantity Unit Price RR DOOR ROOF GLASS ASY, RH (1034903 -90-J) 1 375.00 375.00 Total Parts 375.00 Parts Replaced or Added Total Job Parts: 375.00 442.50

Also got hit by a rock or flying debris. $1,400 to replace the whole windshield. Worst thing was that there was flying glass debris in the car. Fortunately none went into my eyes while I was driving.

Attachments

• IMG_4746 (2).JPG
    IMG_4746 (2).JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 610
I found my invoice. It was actually $442.50
Concern: Replace passenger side falcon door glass with SOP glass that is on the shelf - glass cracked Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 67.50 Pay Type: Customer Pay Corrections: Door Glass and Regulators General Diagnosis Found passenger side falcon door glass cracked Corrections: Door Glass - Rear - Upper - RH Replaced passenger side falcon wing upper glass Part Quantity Unit Price RR DOOR ROOF GLASS ASY, RH (1034903 -90-J) 1 375.00 375.00 Total Parts 375.00 Parts Replaced or Added Total Job Parts: 375.00 442.50

Thanks Lancew. I appreciate your taking the time to find the information. I also emailed the Tesla Body Shop Repair. Let's hope this will be here soon.

Maybe coordinate with the body shop advocate: Body Shop Support. Even though you're dealing with a service center, they should be able to source a glass roof quicker. It's worth giving it a shot. Good luck.

Emailed body shop support which promptly responded saying this line is to assist customers whose vehicles are currently in body shops. They copied local Service Center to assist which going by experience won't be of much help. I will need to figure out some other way to get their attention. 4-6 weeks for simple glass roof is too much.

Also got hit by a rock or flying debris. $1,400 to replace the whole windshield. Worst thing was that there was flying glass debris in the car. Fortunately none went into my eyes while I was driving.
Wow. I am surprised at the amount of glass fragments that broke apart. Glad you were not injured. You might want to share that picture with Tesla.

Looks like Tesla is the place to get these windshields replaced instead of insurance claims etc. Maybe they are buying down the cost of this repair?

Wow. I am surprised at the amount of glass fragments that broke apart. Glad you were not injured. You might want to share that picture with Tesla.

Looks like Tesla is the place to get these windshields replaced instead of insurance claims etc. Maybe they are buying down the cost of this repair?

I went to a Tesla SC to replace the windshield since no other place would replace them. The SC also mentioned that they don't handle insurance claims. I had to pay Tesla the full amount and now I'm waiting to see what the insurance company pays me. I was surprised by the amount of shards, I thought windshields were designed not to do that. Adding insult to injury, they left greasy black fingerprints all over my headlines when replacing the windshield in the interior. I noted that in my feedback, for that price I was expecting the technicians to wear white leather gloves when handling my baby.

I am with AMICA and have zero deductible glass coverage. They told me when the SC replaces my glass, have them call us and we will give SC our credit card information so they can get their payment instantly. I am wondering if SC is ok with something like this arrangement?

Wow. That is not supposed to happen. I've had serious rock damage like that in the past and the windshield seemed to have some sort of "plastic liner" or something that held the pieces mostly together.

• Informative
Reactions: jnt76
I am with AMICA and have zero deductible glass coverage. They told me when the SC replaces my glass, have them call us and we will give SC our credit card information so they can get their payment instantly. I am wondering if SC is ok with something like this arrangement?
I have USAA. Windshields goes thru a third-party vendor SafeLite and that's what they told me on the phone. Calling them today for payment and see what payment I get.

We found an impact and "spider leg" cracks in our Model X right FWD roof while parked in a hotel lot. This after a drive from the Bay to LA. We don't know how or when the glass was hit but obviously there were lots of trucks on I-5. We opened a claim with our insurance company & we will contact the SC when it opens.

Wow. That is not supposed to happen. I've had serious rock damage like that in the past and the windshield seemed to have some sort of "plastic liner" or something that held the pieces mostly together.

Yeah, windshields are laminated glass so the two panes can't separate. That photo looks like the pieces are thin flakes from the inner pane. I've never seen glass split like that, reminds me of slate ( I think, grey rock, easy to split...)?