TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Mule Sightings

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Paul Carter, Jan 29, 2015.

1. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Agreed, front image seems to show rear-view mirror. I was looking at the side image, which is inconclusive.

Cameras around the rear-view mirror are there, but are they merely a regular auto-pilot setup or stereo cameras or some such upgrade? Hard to say with that resolution.

2. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

This is a good WAG. A single red line/light for regen calls attention to trailing vehicles to be cautious while a full array of red when you apply your foot to the brake shows you are slowing quickly/stopping.

3. JST

JST Active Member

From the other pics we've seen, these look like one of the two smaller sets of wheels they've been using on the prototypes. I'm guessing these are optional 20"ers. The white one in the video upthread has noticeably larger wheels.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Probably not, it has "mfg" plates. Although someone in in California might be able to comment on that better than I can.

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Is it just me, or is it very hard to see a driver in that front shot? Looks like a bare MS seat...

:wink:

For the record, I don't believe for a second they'd have a driverless car out in public traffic at this point.

6. timf

timf Member

I wouldn't call it a Founders Series because it is still being used as a test vehicle. Rather, it is most likely a recently built release candidate. It could contain all the parts that are destined to go into the Founders Series vehicles, but is not one that is destined for delivery to a real customer.

7. AnxietyRanger

Sounds plausible. It might even have the Founders text in the side blinkers, hence the camo there.

To use Eds parlance (sorry, had to go there ;)... could this be a Release Candidate 2 vehicle?

8. JST

JST Active Member

There's no reason they couldn't drive a Founder's series car around with MFG plates prior to delivery. They do it all the time with inventory/loaner cars that are later sold.

But I agree with others--the better bet is that this is still one of the pre-customer cars, though it does look complete and ready to go.

I am interested in whether Nigel and Bonnie think we are finally seeing the final car, or if they think this still might be a decoy of some sort.

9. AnxietyRanger

Comparing the two fronts seats shows the driver silhouette, he/she is there.

Enhance gets even more detail:

model_x_mule_driver.jpg

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Ha! Yeah, I forgot this was a zoom of a mirror image. Serves me right for responding before coffee.

11. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

I'm really curious about that falcon wing door gap. Could be testing how the car responds if the door isn't fully closed?

12. AnxietyRanger

Could it be Elon Musk driving his Founders home? Nah. Probably still a tester... but we've heard him drive those, right?

model_x_mule_driver_2.jpg

13. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

What's this? AnxietyRanger making a funny post? If that's not a sign that the end is near, nothing is. :wink:
    (That is, the "end" of waiting for the Model-X)

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

^ That photo looks more like Elvis is driving. Plausible?

15. doggusfluffy

doggusfluffy Closed

16. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

17. JST

JST Active Member

Interesting that it has an amber turn signal.

18. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

Interesting turn light signal in the video of the X.

19. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

Nice! A Blue Model X with white plastic bumper wrap.

20. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Nice music. Feels luxurious.