Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never claimed those camouflaged mules testing a variety of things were "decoys" (and I don't recall Bonnie ever saying that either*), that's your word. There was plenty of discussion about not jumping to conclusions based on what we all agreed were/are test mules.

*Cue tiresome conspiracy accusations that Bonnie and I agree too often...

You all but said the alphas and betas were decoys...

I'll take that wager. I think that Tesla has been road testing various components and FW but the real Model X is still under wraps. Elon would be stupid to insist on no reveal until deliveries but then allow cars to be driven openly around Palo Alto.

And Bonnie's speculation that no two panels on the mules and final versions would match implies the mule's exterior was created to fool the few people that checked this thread for spyshots.

I don't know if this is 'radically different' or 'moderate' - but I'm happy to state that I don't believe that we'll see any of the current body panels reused in the final. And by that, to be very specific, I don't believe that any panel we see could be swapped for a body panel on the final Model X and come close to fitting. Not talking 'gaps'. Just won't fit.

To further clarify, this has nothing to do with how close Tesla is to producing the Model X. It has everything to do with how seriously they take an edict from Elon that it will be kept secret. Would you be 'that guy that used to work here because he was in the new vehicle, out waving at photographers'? :) Nothing is leaking. That tells me a lot.

You guys took Elon's words too literally. "No reveal" meant no reveal event before deliveries.

They're going to have no end of problems with those opposing silver door handles. Even the slightest sub-millimeter difference in height is going to catch the eye and be perceived as "mis-alignment". Might be better off making them body-color.

As I said in another thread, I still suspect any misalignment we are seeing has been 'faked', that something has been jammed in the door sills to make the doors look a little askew. The whole automotive world knows of the special doors and I suspect Tesla wants to keep some cards close to their chest in terms of achieving the technical marvel. Only a theory though.

I'll take that wager. I think that Tesla has been road testing various components and FW but the real Model X is still under wraps. Elon would be stupid to insist on no reveal until deliveries but then allow cars to be driven openly around Palo Alto.

And the Model X is still under wraps. Anyone seen the real nose yet? Oh and please point me to the interior pics, I'd love to see them. :biggrin:

It's my belief that these are definitely the final versions.

First and most obvious reason is that they are now going through the paint lines at the factory. But also, I was told back when one of the service centers opened in July to keep checking back at the end of August and I'll see an X on display. That may not mean reservations holders are getting them, but it would mean they're in final production.

BTW -- that blue is beautiful!

In all seriousness what happens to these mules once the X is out and shipping? Do they just remove the batteries and crush them or what? They can't sell them.
I remember reading awhile back (in Wired?) that the only Roadster mule was still floating around out there minus it's drivetrain.

And Bonnie's speculation that no two panels on the mules and final versions would match implies the mule's exterior was created to fool the few people that checked this thread for spyshots.

You guys took Elon's words too literally. "No reveal" meant no reveal event before deliveries.

I'm laughing. Look, I still believe what I believe. But I've also said that I've done some spectacular faceplants in my life and I'll gladly own it when I do. But you seem almost, I dunno, angry? Like just waiting for a chance to be all upset over what was and wasn't said. I've also said it's my opinion and I've stated why. Let's not turn a bit of fun into something like this. Please.

Seems like the whole forum is angry about on thing or another. Full moon, dunno. Lighten up, people!