Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the CT comes in below the X it's RIP for the X.

No reason to get a more expensive X over a better more utilitarian CT. Although I will say the recent online pictures of the CT make it look really cheap in quality, like a low $40k truck.
Because it is a low $40k truck. 😅just like I think the X at most is a $70k suv. Really more of a $60k suv.

At $50-60k for a cybertruck I was very excited. Would even go for it at $80k if it has 500 miles of range.

Tiger is right I think that intro prices on cybertruck will be high and they will have to take a dump eventually to actually get enough customers.

Which means despite my day one reservation, I ain’t buying one until prices take a dump.

I’ll never make the mistake of overpaying for a Tesla again. Need to go with my gut if what I think it’s worth.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
You assume everyone would be cross shopping the 2. There is zero chance I would buy a CT over an X - regardless of price. I have a 2020 X with free life time super charging and FSD. To pull me from that, Tesla would have to offer me to transfer those benefits to a new X.

The point is that it will be so in your face to pay more for an inferior product that people will not pay more for X than what CT is selling. They will look for other brands or a CT plus. CT will be superior to the X, dependability, robustness, build quality, new tech, everything. Relative valuation is built into humans.

Last edited:
Ugh if only seat color was included in the price. Really want cream seats but now the price for them is $9500.
Right? I might actually pull the trigger if I could just get Cream or White w/the tax credit. I'd trade the free exterior color for a free interior color lol.

Maybe some will pop up in inventory under $80k w/different interior color.

Right? I might actually pull the trigger if I could just get Cream or White w/the tax credit. I'd trade the free exterior color for a free interior color lol.

Maybe some will pop up in inventory under $80k w/different interior color.
Maybe you could wait until end of quarter. I’m sure some demo cars will get dumped at $2,000 off or more with a interior other than black.

Looking at the Model X inventory today (Sept 2), there are no Model X cars priced at or below $80K, using a search range of 200 miles from where I live outside Boston. All have either optional interior, wheels, or seating arrangement. (There is one that is "only" $80,240, but that has Yoke steering, which presumably pushed it over.) I do not know when the new prices were set, but I'd guess any qualifying inventory got snapped up immediately.
I wonder if you found an inventory car that you otherwise liked but that had pricier wheels or the yoke, would Tesla be willing to swap it out and reduce the price? I always wondered if they would do that for used cars already equipped with FSD, which I would not want to pay for. Seems to me I have read of cases in which they would do that.)

Would be cool if the pricing has nothing to do with the Cybertruck and instead Tesla was waiting for Lucid to show its hand with the Sapphire. Now here comes the Plaid+ with 500 miles range, 8.8 1/4 mile, 0-60 in 1.8 all for $124,450. Faster with more range than the Sapphire for half the price. The LR and the Plaid had to drop in price to make room for the Plaid+. One can dream!
If only Elon didn’t say “The Plaid is just so good” he should’ve said “The Plaid is just good”

I see no used Model S or Model X cars at all, at the Tesla web site. I have seen that before, and then a batch of them will show up a week or two later. Not sure if there really are none or that it is just that the site is not kept current....

I see no used Model S or Model X cars at all, at the Tesla web site. I have seen that before, and then a batch of them will show up a week or two later. Not sure if there really are none or that it is just that the site is not kept current....
waitingfortelsa shows 141 S and a couple hundred X right now. Cars come and go from inventory. I think it is how Tesla tries to keep things hidden, but that is just a guess.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Sorry I did not notice that was after potential discounts, they even included potential gas savings. Fine print xxxxers.
Either way, the price drop is significant. I'm sure folks looking at discounted inventory Xs noticed nominally a 10k diff, but I think this is bringing it back to 2019 and before price levels. It's made me jump back into looking at the X after heavily considering the Y.

As a Tesla owner and enthusiast, I've got to say, the recent Tesla price cuts this year have me scratching my head. While I'm all for making EVs more affordable and accessible (the ultimate goal), I feel that these drastic cuts have seriously dented the resale value of used Teslas. It feels like those who invested in the brand just last year, and prior, are taking a massive financial hit. Personally, I bought a used 2018 Model X P100D for $84,500 last July 2022 (Although the used market was a bit high at the time), and now I'm seeing its value plummet to around $50,000 or even less!

I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Are you feeling the pinch of these price cuts on your Tesla's resale value too? Do you think Tesla should have rolled this out differently to protect current owners? Let me know what you all think.