Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery yesterday. Pretty excited and disappointed at the same time. I had 6 issues.

1) My car had a tear in the 3rd row seat and almost all seats have some kind of wrinkle or loose fitting leather. I can't imagine how they were able to park this car out saying its ready for delivery. The sales guy was trying to say this is quite normal and I just didn't give him any more time to finish his sentence. Asked for the manager and he promised to fix these issues with a service request. Let's see how that goes.

2) Passenger door trim was not flush

3) Driver side 3rd row trim was not flush.

4) The paint over the weld on the passenger side frame was not smooth and there was a tiny paint chip. Not bad but could be done better and can get worse if not taken care of.

5) Spoiler had a tiny scratch.

6) Passenger side falcon wing door was not sitting flush when closed with the roof when looked from the top angle. This could be a rubber seal issue.. Not sure but I'll let the pics talk
Glad you have the pictures. This is terrible. Each and all of it.

So what're the chances Tesla will even attempt a fix for my driver side falcon door? It's recessed 2 mm too far along the B-pillar, and over 3mm where it would align with the rear hatch. The rear hatch is actually slightly marred along that intersection point.

1680828954974.png

1680828966341.png

So what're the chances Tesla will even attempt a fix for my driver side falcon door? It's recessed 2 mm too far along the B-pillar, and over 3mm where it would align with the rear hatch. The rear hatch is actually slightly marred along that intersection point.

View attachment 925778

View attachment 925779

I think it depends on the service center. Berkeley (901 Gilman) did well by me...they adjusted both the FWDs on my X's post-delivery service appointment last year, no questions asked. They told me if they're going to adjust one side they'll generally do the other too.

Bruce.

PS. Off-topic, that's a gorgeous color.

I think it depends on the service center. Berkeley (901 Gilman) did well by me...they adjusted both the FWDs on my X's post-delivery service appointment last year, no questions asked. They told me if they're going to adjust one side they'll generally do the other too.

Bruce.

PS. Off-topic, that's a gorgeous color.

Yeah I need to get a picture of it in the sun to compare how the reds are different.

But more-off-topic-er… the red paint is beyond terrible quality. I’ve been absolutely killed on TMC for being too fickle before so I’m not posting the pics here. But there are paint chips, scratches, and runny clear coat all over this thing.

Having worked in automotive and final assembly, this is appalling. I’m used to paint shop directors that would hang their heads in shame if this type of stuff made it out of the plant. Wow, it’s bad to see all this on a single vehicle at this price point.

Tried updating to 2023.12.1 yesterday and got a APS_w132 error. All autopilot features are disabled since the failed update and looks like a service center visit is required to fix the issue. Does anyone else have/had this issue? The service center tried to push the current version(2023.6.11) again remotely and it didn't work.

View attachment 925778

View attachment 925779
That’s horrible! I can’t believe you accepted delivery. I wonder if QC even cares or is told to make it pass regardless hoping customer won’t notice. When I go to pick up my MX, I’m going make sure it’s almost perfect. For $100k it damn well better be. I would cut them some slack if this were a first model year but it’s been in production for a few years now. Zero excuses, only fanboys accept a half a$$ build. More people need to stop accepting poor builds and then Tesla would make sure QC doesn’t check car blindfolded.

Reactions: navinbusy
That’s horrible! I can’t believe you accepted delivery. I wonder if QC even cares or is told to make it pass regardless hoping customer won’t notice. When I go to pick up my MX, I’m going make sure it’s almost perfect. For $100k it damn well better be. I would cut them some slack if this were a first model year but it’s been in production for a few years now. Zero excuses, only fanboys accept a half a$$ build. More people need to stop accepting poor builds and then Tesla would make sure QC doesn’t check car blindfolded.

Lol you should see how much I got flamed on the Model 3 sub before we took delivery of our first Tesla. The Tesla-advocates think the cars are great in spite of their flaws and won't tolerate people being too picky about stuff.

The problem is if you refuse delivery when your car is rolled out, they keep your $250 deposit. So when they rolled out a dirt-covered model X with a greasy interior, crooked doors, a dent on the rear hatch, and several features not working... I'd lose my $250 if I refused it.

Plus you're stuck dealing with 6 hours of paperwork to reverse the trade-in that they just took possession of before they showed you "your next car."

The general learning I have with Tesla is set your initial expectations super low and you will be later pleased by how great their tech is. But at this point, I'm not liking this model X purchase. I'm fine with a dirty car, and I think they'll eventually replace the damaged metal/paint bits. But the extra headache of a bunch of mystery error codes that left us on the side of the road and the possible permanent lack of park assist are not sitting well with me or my wife.

Luckily Tesla gave me a super old/beat-up/stinky 2017 Model X as a loaner for the next few weeks hah.

Last edited:
Lol you should see how much I got flamed on the Model 3 sub before we took delivery of our first Tesla. The Tesla-advocates think the cars are great in spite of their flaws and won't tolerate people being too picky about stuff.

The problem is if you refuse delivery when your car is rolled out, they keep your $250 deposit. So when they rolled out a dirt-covered model X with a greasy interior, crooked doors, a dent on the rear hatch, and several features not working... I'd lose my $250 if I refused it.

Plus you're stuck dealing with 6 hours of paperwork to reverse the trade-in that they just took possession of before they showed you "your next car."

The general learning I have with Tesla is set your initial expectations super low and you will be later pleased by how great their tech is. But at this point, I'm not liking this model X purchase. I'm fine with a dirty car, and I think they'll eventually replace the damaged metal/paint bits. But the extra headache of a bunch of mystery error codes that left us on the side of the road and the possible permanent lack of park assist are not sitting well with me or my wife.

Luckily Tesla gave me a super old/beat-up/stinky 2017 Model X as a loaner for the next few weeks hah.
Dang, that’s the one thing about an actual dealership like BMW that makes sense. If you don’t like it because of flaws, they order you a new one or give you a discount to take it and they’ll fix it as well. I’m really going back and forth whether to order the MX or order a loaded ‘24 X7.

A stinky loaner sounds awful. But, at least you got a loaner. 😁 I’ve owned so many different brands of cars up to $200k(more thrifty these days). I want to retire eventually.🤪 It amazes me how attached people can get over a brand. They better be getting paid to promote.

Dang, that’s the one thing about an actual dealership like BMW that makes sense. If you don’t like it because of flaws, they order you a new one or give you a discount to take it and they’ll fix it as well. I’m really going back and forth whether to order the MX or order a loaded ‘24 X7.

IMO, if you can get a X7 xDrive40i or iX xDrive50 for MSRP ... I'd take the BMW over the Model X every day of the week. My problem is I can't find one - which puts them well beyond what I can afford.

Basically the Model X was my wife's option number 3 (behind BMW and Cadillac) - which I'm now regretting I'm too broke-weak to afford these markups for large SUVs in the SF Bay area. The Model X w/out park assist and throwing out weird error codes is just not a good car to expect someone to operate with confidence.

But Tesla's red paint + turbine wheels + falcon doors is pretty cool. This whole mega-pricing-over MSRP is nutso.

Edit, no joke the stinky loaner was like… wtf. It’s obviously a trade in or lease return. The inside smells of stale farts and BO. I had to park it outside with the doors and windows open overnight. Also sprayed the crap out of it with fabreeze. It pulls hard to the side and needs an alignment real bad. The digital screen shows the Tesla logo (freezes then reboots) more often than it’s working.

Needless to say, my wife isn’t driving this loaner, but I hope she’ll eventually drive the new model X if it’s repaired ok.

Tesla just doesn’t make enough cash to supply service with loaners lol. I asked them if they could just turn their Uber credits into a rental I could run through Costco lolol. (The answer is heck no)

I need a car to put the kid safety seats in… I guess stinky loaners are better than no loaner?

Last edited:

On the other hand, there were some people in this forum that condemned anybody who accepted a less-than-perfect Model X as doing a disservice to the community (because they'd be letting Tesla "get away" with crappy quality). It's one of the reasons I was reluctant to post pictures of my car...when you've spent a bunch of $$$ on something, the last thing you want is people second-guessing and armchair-quarterbacking and saying, "well _I_ would have rejected that".

Bruce.

On the other hand, there were some people in this forum that condemned anybody who accepted a less-than-perfect Model X as doing a disservice to the community (because they'd be letting Tesla "get away" with crappy quality). It's one of the reasons I was reluctant to post pictures of my car...when you've spent a bunch of $$$ on something, the last thing you want is people second-guessing and armchair-quarterbacking and saying, "well _I_ would have rejected that".

Bruce.

Yeah concerns around fit and finish are uniquely individualistic. I don't know why TMC users project onto others what they should "accept". I feel like for each individual buyer, the only "right" thing is whatever the person who is spending money feels. I spent money on this 2023 Model X and it's failing to meet my (edit: and my wife's) expectations. I hope Tesla comes through or it's going to suck.

I used to work in automotive (corporate and manufacturing), so I think I just notice more things than others may not care about. I also worked on a project to get laser operated gap guns (both human and robots) to measure cars to improve build quality and align the cross car beam better. So I'm doubly attuned to some of these things. Tesla needs to invest in some gap guns and actually give a damn. It's not supposed to be the buyers who give a damn. It's supposed to be the manufacturer who takes pride in their craft.

It seems to me that Tesla employs an expert in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ for manufacturing fit and finish. The paint, panels, and builds are just poor. Good tech, but rubbish build consistency and quality. It's probably a robot set with a wide tolerance level hah. They probably fired anyone who actually cares since it would just slow down production.

Anyway, please post pictures of your Powerwalls and their disconnects. So I can pass judgement or approval. ⚡

Reactions: bmah
Yeah concerns around fit and finish are uniquely individualistic. I don't know why TMC users project onto others what they should "accept". I feel like for each individual buyer, the only "right" thing is whatever the person who is spending money feels. I spent money on this 2023 Model X and it's failing to meet my (edit: and my wife's) expectations. I hope Tesla comes through or it's going to suck.

I used to work in automotive (corporate and manufacturing), so I think I just notice more things than others may not care about. I also worked on a project to get laser operated gap guns (both human and robots) to measure cars to improve build quality and align the cross car beam better. So I'm doubly attuned to some of these things. Tesla needs to invest in some gap guns and actually give a damn. It's not supposed to be the buyers who give a damn. It's supposed to be the manufacturer who takes pride in their craft.

It seems to me that Tesla employs an expert in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ for manufacturing fit and finish. The paint, panels, and builds are just poor. Good tech, but rubbish build consistency and quality. It's probably a robot set with a wide tolerance level hah. They probably fired anyone who actually cares since it would just slow down production.

Anyway, please post pictures of your Powerwalls and their disconnects. So I can pass judgement or approval. ⚡

Aw I'm pretty sure I'm posted pictures of my disconnects. :cool:

This seems like a good place for a joke:

Question: How many Tesla QA engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer: None. It's within spec.

Bruce.

My Model X (23 Plaid, HW4) has been in service a few times already.

Main issue are the falcon door sensors are not working correctly. They even hit a parked car next to them!

Can you let me know if this is normal, or try yourself.. stand right next to your falcon door and open it. Will the door open and hit/start to push you if you don't move?

That's what my doors do. Obviously if I was a wall of car, the doors would hit it. Just want to see if maybe you guys have the same issue and don't even realize it.

My Model X (23 Plaid, HW4) has been in service a few times already.

Main issue are the falcon door sensors are not working correctly. They even hit a parked car next to them!

Can you let me know if this is normal, or try yourself.. stand right next to your falcon door and open it. Will the door open and hit/start to push you if you don't move?

That's what my doors do. Obviously if I was a wall of car, the doors would hit it. Just want to see if maybe you guys have the same issue and don't even realize it.
It should definitely not do that. If anything, my doors are too conservative and will stop really short when there is another car next to it. Front doors are also very conservative to the point that it drives my wife nuts. She will push the button and the door will open about 6 inches, but as it is stopping (but before it has fully stopped) she will try to open the door the rest of the way. There must be some logic to deal with wind or something because the motor will fight her hard. If she waits for it to stop moving before she tries then it moves easily.

Now, my 2022 MXP still has USS. I'm not sure if Tesla eliminated all USS from the newer cars or just the bumpers. Is there a small circle on the top of the car in between the FWD? That's the USS to measure ceiling height.

I am guilty of telling people that they should have rejected their cars. I don't want someone to accept a car just because they are excited and have been waiting a long time only to regret it later. I have been dealing with Tesla's highs and lows for 13 years. At the end of the day it's just a car and Tesla should be giving you a product that is worth what you are paying for it.

I am also one of the people that believes that until people start rejecting poor quality en masse that Tesla will not fix the core problem. They will not change until they feel it in accounting.

Do they really keep your order fee after a single rejection now? Back in 2022 you could reject twice before they cancelled your order (and kept your order fee). If my CT comes in and has issues I will reject it. If Tesla cancels my order at that point I will never buy another Tesla again.

I am guilty of telling people that they should have rejected their cars. I don't want someone to accept a car just because they are excited and have been waiting a long time only to regret it later. I have been dealing with Tesla's highs and lows for 13 years. At the end of the day it's just a car and Tesla should be giving you a product that is worth what you are paying for it.

I am also one of the people that believes that until people start rejecting poor quality en masse that Tesla will not fix the core problem. They will not change until they feel it in accounting.

Do they really keep your order fee after a single rejection now? Back in 2022 you could reject twice before they cancelled your order (and kept your order fee). If my CT comes in and has issues I will reject it. If Tesla cancels my order at that point I will never buy another Tesla again.

It’s worse than what you said. I had traded in my car so the paperwork and stuff had been submitted. It would have been an extra 3 hours to leave with out the model X. I had my kids with me so that was a non starter. And yes my deposit would be kept.

Tesla is absolute trash client experience. I didn’t want to buy this model X because I really wanted another brand. But those other makers are trash sales.

And now I have a brand new X that has to be in the shop for 3 weeks and I have a trash loaner.

So yeah it’s all trash hah. PS, I’m never buying a Tesla again even if every other option remains trash.