Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s worse than what you said. I had traded in my car so the paperwork and stuff had been submitted. It would have been an extra 3 hours to leave with out the model X. I had my kids with me so that was a non starter. And yes my deposit would be kept.

Tesla is absolute trash client experience. I didn’t want to buy this model X because I really wanted another brand. But those other makers are trash sales.

And now I have a brand new X that has to be in the shop for 3 weeks and I have a trash loaner.

So yeah it’s all trash hah. PS, I’m never buying a Tesla again even if every other option remains trash.

I'm sorry it's not going well for you.

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I'm sorry it's not going well for you.

Bruce.

Lol I don't know why I thought this would end up better. Man I am an idiot.

You know what's the worst. Most of my neighbors think I'm a Tesla stan. They see two Teslas, three Powerwalls, and 2 Tesla Wall connectors in my garage and they think I'm some Tesla fanatic who will gush about their products.

I like the Powerwalls (a lot), my wife likes the Model 3. But I tell every single person to just avoid Tesla vehicles and their garbage service. Folks are like "but... why did you get so much Tesla stuff????" The answer is I'm an idiot. Like I say in the energy sub all the time. Holeydonut = Sucks.

Man I feel so stupid. Shouldn't have got this Model X. I'm just broke/lame to afford $30k market adjustment on an Escalade.

It’s worse than what you said. I had traded in my car so the paperwork and stuff had been submitted. It would have been an extra 3 hours to leave with out the model X. I had my kids with me so that was a non starter. And yes my deposit would be kept.
Ugh. Word to anyone reading this - fully inspect the car before doing any paperwork. When I picked up my MXP in KC, they just tossed me the key and said to come back inside when I was ready to sign the paperwork. I wasn't trading in though. I had not paid or anything. My family and I crawled all over that thing for 30 minutes. I had the key so could have driven it but from reading all of the posts here on TMC, the only problems people were having were alignment and cosmetic issues and I thought that driving it would be pushing my luck. After we were satisfied with the car I went back inside, paid via the app, signed the paperwork, and off we went.

Mine was an end of Q1 2022 car so I was nervous and went in preparing to reject. But it was in fantastic shape. The backup PRND mask had a scratch in it that they replaced and there was a tiny misalignment between the right FWD and rear hatch. SC fixed it right up when I got home.

I expect them to give me the same latitude when I pick up my CT. If not, then some other company will be able to win my business.

Last edited:
Ugh. Word to anyone reading this - fully inspect the car before doing any paperwork. When I picked up my MXP in KC, they just tossed me the key and said to come back inside when I was ready to sign the paperwork. I wasn't trading in though. I had not paid or anything. My family and I crawled all over that thing for 30 minutes. I had the key so could have driven it but from reading all of the posts here on TMC,
Similar when I purchased my Model Y. I originally chose home delivery, and they dropped the car off and were gone before I even knew it. They said to accept the car to unlock it and inspect it. I just sent a note via the app that I had to be able to inspect it inside before I would accept it. They unlocked it remotely, so I could inspect it. I ended up rejecting it because of some interior issues. For the next one they wouldn't allow home delivery again, so when I got to the Tesla store they just pointed me to the front, said your car is there and unlocked. When you are OK with it come back in to sign the papers and accept it via the app.

I don't understand why some locations won't let people inspect the cars before accepting them.

Hello fellow X’ans, it’s been a while. I had a rough start after taking delivery with some issues almost a year ago, but thankfully, most is well now. Sorry to hear about the issues some of you are experiencing, hopefully they will be resolved and you will buy another Tesla.

My new issue: my auto high beam hasn’t been turning on, anyone experiencing this?

Hello fellow X’ans, it’s been a while. I had a rough start after taking delivery with some issues almost a year ago, but thankfully, most is well now. Sorry to hear about the issues some of you are experiencing, hopefully they will be resolved and you will buy another Tesla.

My new issue: my auto high beam hasn’t been turning on, anyone experiencing this?
It must’ve heard me complain here as it’s working fine now lol

Reactions: RayzorEV
I know this is not an issue specific to the refresh model X, but my wife got the “steering assist reduced” message on our 2022 MXP yesterday, and lost all power steering without warning while driving. Thankfully, she was on a residential street going 30 mph, but still nearly crashed trying to bring the vehicle to a stop (she was on a corner when the power steering failed). She was 70 miles from home, and the car had to be towed 80 miles to the SLC SC. Diagnosis still pending, not sure if it is the steering rack, software, or something else.

I know this is not an issue specific to the refresh model X, but my wife got the “steering assist reduced” message on our 2022 MXP yesterday, and lost all power steering without warning while driving. Thankfully, she was on a residential street going 30 mph, but still nearly crashed trying to bring the vehicle to a stop (she was on a corner when the power steering failed). She was 70 miles from home, and the car had to be towed 80 miles to the SLC SC. Diagnosis still pending, not sure if it is the steering rack, software, or something else.

Did Tesla ever respond to what causes the steering to just cut out?

Another parent with kids at the day care we use said their Model X had a similar scary experience that you had. Basically the car shut down the power steering while driving and the Model X becomes amazingly difficult to turn. Luckily they were on a back road, so they ended up going through some brush/shrubs and ended up stopping on a hill.

Tesla told them it was operator error and to resolve it through the insurance as an accident lol. Basically the only thing I've personally learned about Tesla is that if the tech results in a weird issue, you're better off slamming into something than trying to resolve the issue with Tesla safely. Because while an owner may believe something is a safety issue, Tesla's MO is to assume these errors/miscues are normal since "complicated tech" will be glitchy or they'll assume it's it's operator error.

Did Tesla ever respond to what causes the steering to just cut out?

Another parent with kids at the day care we use said their Model X had a similar scary experience that you had. Basically the car shut down the power steering while driving and the Model X becomes amazingly difficult to turn. Luckily they were on a back road, so they ended up going through some brush/shrubs and ended up stopping on a hill.

Tesla told them it was operator error and to resolve it through the insurance as an accident lol. Basically the only thing I've personally learned about Tesla is that if the tech results in a weird issue, you're better off slamming into something than trying to resolve the issue with Tesla safely. Because while an owner may believe something is a safety issue, Tesla's MO is to assume these errors/miscues are normal since "complicated tech" will be glitchy or they'll assume it's it's operator error.
According to the SC “ Test drove vehicle in attempt to duplicate the alert experienced but no alert is present at this time and the steering system is working properly. The steering column ECU appears to have experienced a software bug that may have been caused by map location. Replacement is not recommended at this time. Please advise customer to monitor vehicle and provide timestamp and map location if concern continues.” Needless to say, this does not inspire confidence. My wife is amazingly chill about this, and doesn’t have any heartburn about continuing to drive the vehicle. This is the latest in a long series of problems that we have had with the car. It’s unfortunate, because my wife loves driving it. I am going to file a report with NHTSA.

According to the SC “ Test drove vehicle in attempt to duplicate the alert experienced but no alert is present at this time and the steering system is working properly. The steering column ECU appears to have experienced a software bug that may have been caused by map location. Replacement is not recommended at this time. Please advise customer to monitor vehicle and provide timestamp and map location if concern continues.” Needless to say, this does not inspire confidence. My wife is amazingly chill about this, and doesn’t have any heartburn about continuing to drive the vehicle. This is the latest in a long series of problems that we have had with the car. It’s unfortunate, because my wife loves driving it. I am going to file a report with NHTSA.

Lol your wife is the opposite of mine. Tesla told my wife (edit: in response to our vehicle shutting down and needing to pull over ASAP) "we cleared the error codes, if they come back let us know" and she was like "WTF why would you think I'd let my kids back in this POS car???"

Tesla's motto should be "the error codes and shutting down at inopportune times are a feature, not a bug."

Last edited:
Lol your wife is the opposite of mine. Tesla told my wife (edit: in response to our vehicle shutting down and needing to pull over ASAP) "we cleared the error codes, if they come back let us know" and she was like "WTF why would you think I'd let my kids back in this POS car???"

Tesla's motto should be "the error codes and shutting down at inopportune times are a feature, not a bug."
Get the “steering assist reduced” message again. Thankfully, my wife was in a mall parking lot and the power steering hadn’t shut down yet. Will keep you posted……

IMG_5363.jpeg

Does anyone experience the same problem? The second row seat (right side) got stuck and locked in place. Cannot move or change or put the seat back to normal position. I had the same issue last year when I took delivery and Tesla replaced the whole seat. I didnt use the seat since replaced. Today I used it again and it got stuck again. Same problem. Not sure if this is a common problem and if we have a permanent fix for this issue. Thanks everyone.

I got the same "Steering assist reduced" on my 2022 MXP, and it wouldn't go away for three days. The car was steering normally, but I made a service request and the earliest date was a week out. The message went away after three days but returned four days later while I was in a carwash tunnel. This time, all power steering was gone, and I could barely get out of the carwash. I pulled over and powered down the car, got out and back in, and the error disappeared, and power steering was back.

My service appointment was two days later, and when I arrived, they said the tech had proactively ordered a new steering rack. They kept the car overnight but did not actually replace anything. From the invoice notes, "Customer concern verified in data review and steering rack was inspected per engineering notes for possible harness damage. No issues seen for harness communication failure. No part replaced at this time as a communication discrepancy between internal components was mismatched and rectified. Please continue to monitor and notate any future incidents for review and inspection."

They sware by fixing the "component mismatch" the problem should be fixed, but I'm not that confident. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

My tesla model x plaid has been doing this on and off for the past 3 weeks and service kept it for a week and claim they could not reproduce issue. I am furious! The literally will not start. Anybody ever experience this?View attachment 950590

They don’t need to reproduce — they just need to check the logs from when it happened. Did the car think your trunk was opened while it was driving?

Reactions: bmah
They don’t need to reproduce — they just need to check the logs from when it happened. Did the car think your trunk was opened while it was driving?
The trunk was open as I had just finished putting in my groceries lol, I was gonna close it but that message caught my attention and the car almost turned off at the stop light and wouldn’t go more than 13 mph the whole way home

The trunk was open as I had just finished putting in my groceries lol, I was gonna close it but that message caught my attention and the car almost turned off at the stop light and wouldn’t go more than 13 mph the whole way home

And what’s with only 57 miles of range left from a trip to get groceries? Not that that should cause anything but not typical. Makes me wonder what other non-typical stuff is going on.