Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on our MS experience over the last 10 years, as long as toe is correct to Tesla's specs, excessive wear comes from too much factory camber. Nearly everyone does this nowadays because people can't drive and cars have gotten very fast/powerful. Next time you pull up next to a BMW, Audi, Etc, check out the rear wheel camber. It is insane.

The reason is that it minimizes lift-throttle oversteer. When entering a skid, untrained drivers will lift their foot off the accelerator. This will actually increase the skid and cause the car to spin out. The answer is to keep your foot in it and just steer into the skid. But people won't bother to go to a driving school to learn so they dial in crazy amount of rear camber in the rear wheels which will help minimize this behavior.

The inside wear was ridiculous w/ our 2012 MS with 21" wheels. One our 2018 we moved to the 19s and it's a lot better (the taller sidewall squishes more to keep more of the tire in contact w/ the road) so I haven't bothered w/ aftermarket kits.

I went w/ the 20s on the MX for the same reason.

Reactions: StrayTexel
Based on our MS experience over the last 10 years, as long as toe is correct to Tesla's specs, excessive wear comes from too much factory camber. Nearly everyone does this nowadays because people can't drive and cars have gotten very fast/powerful. Next time you pull up next to a BMW, Audi, Etc, check out the rear wheel camber. It is insane.
People mix-up toe and camber all the time. I've seen it happen numerous times... especially in the context of the MX for some reason.

But yeah this car is cambered aggressively for a reason. It's a high performance "SUV" that is also extremely heavy. Reducing camber will reduce rear cornering grip (generally speaking). Not something I'd ever want to mess with.

I know just enough about car setup to know that I am not smarter than Tesla's engineers. Neither is the guy at your local mom-and-pop shop.

I have major creaking and almost unevenness in my second row floor mostly towards the drivers side..service center said it was “normal”

Did they put that in writing? Time to start posting screenshots on social media and sending copies of invoices to the ev pubs.

At any rate, not normal. You need to insist and be pushy about it.
You mean camber, right?

Toe also has a big effect on tire wear.

Of course, but it should affect the entire tread. Not just the inside. It's *camber* that is responsible for asymmetric wear on the inside.
Just relaying my own experience driving over 100k miles in 6 years. Consider trying it as a test for yourself.
Adjusting camber with aftermarket parts did not improve the excessive asymmetric wear but reducing the toe did. Perhaps because of the camber the toe impact is also asymetric.
According to my shop my tires developed a scalloped wear finding which is attributed to a “chipping” mechanism which is sensitive to toe. This prompted us to minimize the toe and we were pleased to find that not only did the scallop pattern not appear on the new tires but that the asymetric wear was noticeably reduced and tire life prolonged.

Happy to report that almost three full months after taking delivery, my SC fully repaired all items identified around delivery time. Car was with the Corte Madera, CA Service Center for a week, and they did an awesome job.

- small fray of the stitching on the dashboard resulted in them replacing the entire dashboard top. That cant be cheap for Tesla.
- misaligned driver door now completely in line
- Falcon wing doors and front doors in perfect alignment
- fixed a rattle/static coming from front speaker grille

For those with issues be patient and persistent!

Some photos of the issues from delivery (now all resolved) -

IMG_0708 Medium.jpeg
IMG_0690 Medium.jpeg
IMG_0691 Medium.jpeg
IMG_0692 Medium.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0690 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_0690 Medium.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 63
Agree with everyone here that the restraint error is solved. I’ve had 12 distinct drives without the error. Not sure if the Supercharging glitches are solved as all my drives were shorter and in town.
Good news! Still waiting to see if the long drive/Supercharging issues have been fixed. I had the frozen backup camera/flashing warning light issues on a road trip earlier this month on 2022.8.3. Don’t have any road trips for awhile to test 12.3.1. Car performs flawlessly in town. I only had the restraint error once on 8.2, fixed with wheel size change reboot.

Reactions: jc368
So in my case, the underbelly cover had an electrical harness and connector sitting on top of it not secured. It was the connector that was vibrating against the underbelly cover and because of the shape, it was acting like a hue amplifying resonator. Just fixed both sides. They are silent now. '

But now it exposed the one singular source of noise left and that is the cupholder behind the center console. If I apply a bit of pressure with my hand while driving over a bumpy road, my X is finally silent for the first time.

Sad for a $140K car.
I think I may have this rattle. Can you take a picture of this underbelly cover so I know where to look? TIA

I’m having the exact same issue with random turn signal faults. Any updates or fixes yet?
My left turn signal button is sometimes unresponsive. I thought it was some kind of half-assed safety feature, since it seems to happen when I try to signal a lane change from highway middle lane to highway speed lane and the speed lane has little or no shoulder between it and a barrier wall.

I have a service appointment upcoming for the rear seat warning light. I'll see if I can add the turn signal fault to it.

Last edited: