TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bonnie, Mar 7, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

IMO, there is 0% chance they will produce a for-customer Model S with AWD before a for-customer Model X with AWD.

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Sure. There's no evidence, but it's plausible. Maybe the MY 2014 Model S will offer AWD to keep interest up.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Well this isn't promising ... "you may get your Model X next year".

-channeling the patience of Job-

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 2.31.39 PM.png

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I think they just mean it depends on your continued good behavior....

5. fengshui

fengshui Member

Given that they're saying *may* for *sig* holders, I'd advise non-sig reservation holders to plan for 2015.

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Well, to be fair, they don't know if my bday is in January or December. It's December. So 'may' is probably appropriate.

Heyyy! What do you mean about my behavior? Whaaaat?

7. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Unfortunately it seems like you're right. If you think about Model S roll-out, they had a factory test ride event in October '11, First few deliveries June '12, but Signature deliveries really starting August/September 12, and production around November '12. Before the October '11 event, there were all sorts of test drive videos made by Tesla themselves months or even years ahead. So given that we've only seen one Model X drive a couple hundred feet, I wouldn't expect 2014 for any other than the very first sigs (to show Wall Street they did it).

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Oh, whew. Bonnie has to be on good behavior for a bit.

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

My wife was asking if I had an update for her, too. I notice the web site changed to say that "deliveries starting late 2014", and I told her that if we maintain our production spot, she should anticipate early-to-mid 2015.

10. JPP

JPP Active Member

When I as down at the Fremont SC yesterday Saturday picking up my S, I got to chat with one of the senior techs. He was involved in getting the white X up from the event to the factory in time for the Teslive party. The white one is #2 and does move/drive (albeit slowly). There was/is some problem with the falcon doors on this unit, and he had to get them into the full open position. This is likely more of an alpha than beta model, and clearly a work in progress. We will just have to see what the real timeline is....

11. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

FlalsherZ would you mind pointing to where the web site says "deliveries starting late 2014". I just looked and still only saw references to deliveries in 2014. I'm suspect I just missed it. thank-you

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

13. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

brianman, thank -you I had forgotten it was mentioned in the quarterly report. FlasherZ's post indicated the "web site says deliveries starting late 2014" which I haven't been able to find. Trying to convince my better half we should consider the X :smile:. (Gen3 is a given)

Tesla Motors - Quarterly Report[/QUOTE]

14. MikeL

MikeL some guy

My dashboard page on the website has undergone a slight reworking. Where it used to say "status RESERVED" (or something)
    it now says "RESERVED Tesla will contact you when we are ready to build your Model X"
    Just seeing the words 'ready to build your . . .' in that order got me excited, briefly. At least they haven't forgotten about me.:rolleyes:

15. FlasherZ

I could swear that the Model X page used to say "late 2014" but I must've been thinking of the information from the quarterly report (and the news articles that popped up in March based on it). Sorry for the confusion.

16. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Do like I'm doing - I'm assuming 2 years till my Model X comes along (so yes, spring/summer of '15), and that's for an earlyish Sig X. I would love to be surprised and have it happen earlier, but it's a lot easier to be ready for a long wait and then be surprised by everything happening sooner, than looking for it sooner and then have it be 'delayed'.

17. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

#77 goneskiian, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    This is curious. On my reservation page there is a button to upgrade to a Signature. When I click on it there is a line that says, "Model X Signature begins delivery in Early 2014." :confused:

As much as I'm hoping this is true, there is just too much evidence pointing to late 2014/early 2015. Oh well. :crying:

I still hold out hope that they'll surprise us though! :biggrin: :wink:

Cheers!

18. MikeL

MikeL some guy

yeah, we did that back here (?)) I think we decided not to get too excited, or more excited or, well your post says it! ML

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Et tu, Bonnie?! You are starting to sound like many of us S res holders late last year ;) Oh, the drama!

20. FlasherZ

So I wasn't the only one who thought that? :)

I'm sure I'll go through the same thing again as the date gets closer, even though I already have the Model S experience to remember.