Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought: do you think it's possible Tesla will make an all wheel drive Model S first, to get some experience/engineering tested on the newly enhanced platform, before releasing the Model X, which at that point will just be a different body on the improved/tested all wheel drive train? I think it could be a possibility...
IMO, there is 0% chance they will produce a for-customer Model S with AWD before a for-customer Model X with AWD.

Just a thought: do you think it's possible Tesla will make an all wheel drive Model S first, to get some experience/engineering tested on the newly enhanced platform, before releasing the Model X, which at that point will just be a different body on the improved/tested all wheel drive train? I think it could be a possibility...

Sure. There's no evidence, but it's plausible. Maybe the MY 2014 Model S will offer AWD to keep interest up.

Well this isn't promising ... "you may get your Model X next year".

-channeling the patience of Job-

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 2.31.39 PM.png

Unfortunately it seems like you're right. If you think about Model S roll-out, they had a factory test ride event in October '11, First few deliveries June '12, but Signature deliveries really starting August/September 12, and production around November '12. Before the October '11 event, there were all sorts of test drive videos made by Tesla themselves months or even years ahead. So given that we've only seen one Model X drive a couple hundred feet, I wouldn't expect 2014 for any other than the very first sigs (to show Wall Street they did it).

Given that they're saying *may* for *sig* holders, I'd advise non-sig reservation holders to plan for 2015.

When I as down at the Fremont SC yesterday Saturday picking up my S, I got to chat with one of the senior techs. He was involved in getting the white X up from the event to the factory in time for the Teslive party. The white one is #2 and does move/drive (albeit slowly). There was/is some problem with the falcon doors on this unit, and he had to get them into the full open position. This is likely more of an alpha than beta model, and clearly a work in progress. We will just have to see what the real timeline is....

My wife was asking if I had an update for her, too. I notice the web site changed to say that "deliveries starting late 2014", and I told her that if we maintain our production spot, she should anticipate early-to-mid 2015.

FlalsherZ would you mind pointing to where the web site says "deliveries starting late 2014". I just looked and still only saw references to deliveries in 2014. I'm suspect I just missed it. thank-you

My dashboard page on the website has undergone a slight reworking. Where it used to say "status RESERVED" (or something)
it now says "RESERVED Tesla will contact you when we are ready to build your Model X"
Just seeing the words 'ready to build your . . .' in that order got me excited, briefly. At least they haven't forgotten about me.:rolleyes:

brianman, thank -you I had forgotten it was mentioned in the quarterly report. FlasherZ's post indicated the "web site says deliveries starting late 2014" which I haven't been able to find. Trying to convince my better half we should consider the X :smile:. (Gen3 is a given)

Tesla Motors - Quarterly Report

I could swear that the Model X page used to say "late 2014" but I must've been thinking of the information from the quarterly report (and the news articles that popped up in March based on it). Sorry for the confusion.

Do like I'm doing - I'm assuming 2 years till my Model X comes along (so yes, spring/summer of '15), and that's for an earlyish Sig X. I would love to be surprised and have it happen earlier, but it's a lot easier to be ready for a long wait and then be surprised by everything happening sooner, than looking for it sooner and then have it be 'delayed'.

This is curious. On my reservation page there is a button to upgrade to a Signature. When I click on it there is a line that says, "Model X Signature begins delivery in Early 2014." :confused:

As much as I'm hoping this is true, there is just too much evidence pointing to late 2014/early 2015. Oh well. :crying:

I still hold out hope that they'll surprise us though! :biggrin: :wink:

Cheers!

Last edited:
This is curious. On my reservation page there is a button to upgrade to a Signature. When I click on it there is a line that says, "Model X Signature begins delivery in Early 2014." :confused:

As much as I'm hoping this is true, there is just too much evidence pointing to late 2014/early 2015. Oh well. :crying:

I still hold out hope that they'll surprise us though! :biggrin: :wink:

Cheers!

yeah, we did that back here (?)) I think we decided not to get too excited, or more excited or, well your post says it! ML