Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X values when the Y comes out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tes La Ferrari

Jun 1, 2018
Canada
Do you think the value decline will be has steep as the S since 3's became available ?

I wonder how much the FWD's will play into the resale value equation.

I also wonder if Tesla will drop the price of the X a bit too when the Y is produced - like they did with the S pricing when the Model 3 comes out.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

...like they did with the S pricing when the Model 3 comes out...

The current cheapest price for Model S is $79,990.

The cheapest price for Model S 60 in 2016 was $66,000.

So, because of the cheaper price of Model 3, Tesla has made the cheapest price of Model S and X significantly more than the cheapest Model 3 which was $35,000.

Doubling the price of $35,000 Model 3 is still way below the cheapest price of the current $79,990 Model S.

new sales will probably stay the same - as noted above
resales/used will probably finally see a significant drop in price as folks move to the newer tech and traditional doors. Older S's fell dramatically with the 3 coming out, and now essentially compete at the low end of 3 prices.

Reactions: forkee
Don't think the X will drop too much. Many of the S that are sold cheap are the 2012-2014 models which had no AP whatsoever. The AP2.5 and MCU2 cars aren't depreciating horribly. Also X production numbers have been lower compared to the S. A chunk of Xs on the road are section 179 vehicles and you need to keep them for 5 years for tax benefits. The 2016 X will be cheap but I'm not sure they would be worth picking over a new Y long range performance.

Reactions: VikH
X has some differentiators that will help it to maintain good resale.

Aluminum chassis, automated power doors, panorama windshield, 5,000 lb. towing capacity, larger capacity, air suspension, exotic and useful Falcon Wing doors.

The Model Y will have a much better value proposition, but the X has gravitas.

Also do not think the Model Y will reduce Model 3 resale prices either. It, however, will bring additional 3's to the marketplace as owners decide the Model Y is more useful to them.

Model X new pricing has already gone significantly down and increased value as well with the new RAVEN upgrades.

Believe Model Y will bring in a tremendous number of new buyers that find the smaller size Ute compelling.

I don’t think the X will drop at all. I don’t think the S did either. S (and X) did drop on NEW car prices (partially driven by the 3). But I don’t think Y will drive them to drop prices on S and X again. And because Tesla did drop prices on new S and X that drove down used prices.

Tesla might add more features to S and X like plaid. Bigger battery. New battery and refresh. That might affect used S and X.

Reactions: Akikiki
Actually now that I think about it. I think the Model 3 will likely take a hit. I think a lot of Model 3 owners wanted a Y but bought a 3 to hold them over. I suspect the market will have more supply than demand on used Model 3’s when Y’s start shipping in volume.

Reactions: Obsoletion
Actually now that I think about it. I think the Model 3 will likely take a hit. I think a lot of Model 3 owners wanted a Y but bought a 3 to hold them over. I suspect the market will have more supply than demand on used Model 3’s when Y’s start shipping in volume.

I think the Y lift back hatch is going to be a big reason for the switch for 3 owners who want the latest tech / charging speeds not offered in the current S + the SUV/ crossover style form factor

The model Y is barely any bigger than the 3. If you are buying it thinking it is you are going to be terribly disappointed when you try to put people in those back seats. It won't mess with the X group.

The model Y is really just a hatchback (station wagon) model 3. Its sad that we allow car makers to call any hatchback an SUV now. They raised the roof (not ground clearance) and put tiny seats in the trunk that only small children will be comfortable in. I was amazingly dissatisfied with it when I seen it. I think after reviews come out comparing it to the model X people will go look at used X. Real car reviews not Tesla fan reviews of course.

The model Y is barely any bigger than the 3. If you are buying it thinking it is you are going to be terribly disappointed when you try to put people in those back seats. It won't mess with the X group.

The model Y is really just a hatchback (station wagon) model 3. Its sad that we allow car makers to call any hatchback an SUV now. They raised the roof (not ground clearance) and put tiny seats in the trunk that only small children will be comfortable in. I was amazingly dissatisfied with it when I seen it. I think after reviews come out comparing it to the model X people will go look at used X. Real car reviews not Tesla fan reviews of course.

Came to say this exactly. Every time I read or see something about the Y, I can't help but think, "What's the point of the 3?" A Y is not in the same market for someone wanting an X, like a Honda Fit isn't really an alternative for someone looking for a Pilot. I decided to bite the bullet and get an inventory 3 to replace my 2014 pre-AP S right before the tax credit reduced. I would have preferred a Y, but didn't want to wait 2+ years for my S value to plummet and lose any tax credit completely.

They want to streamline production, they should just replace the 3 with the Y entirely.

Someone said some time ago that EV's are for a niche market. I believe that's true. But for that matter almost every vehicle made is in its own niche. But back to my thoughts. There's still going to be a market for S and X. Some people bought an S while waiting on the X they wanted. Everyone knows why Tesla built the 3, it was in the master plan. And the public has been buying more small SUVs versus small cars. So, I believe many folks waiting on the Y have bought the 3 and the 3 was their first toe in the water EV. They were not able to buy a S or X, so the 3 introduced them to EV. When the Y becomes available, its going to make many 3's available as those owners trade-in or sell their 3 even taking a hit on the price to get the Y. And it makes more used 3's available to first EV's for people that were not willing or could not buy a new 3. Same as occurred with X and S and as S's got older, they have become first EVs for people that want something a little larger than the 3. I guess I made that sound more difficult to follow than I should. Too late, too lazy to fix it. All in all there's almost something for everyone. Will be when the CT gets here. Think he will make a smaller CT?

Reactions: Obsoletion
I totally disagree with the y to 3 theories. I hate the Y it's hideous. I wouldn't have a Tesla if I only had the choice of a Y. I have no kids and no use for a station wagon so I just want a sporty car.

I also dislike the x it's a minivan to me.

Last edited: