Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the clarification and good info about studless -v- performance. You're right, X-Ice (Xi3) is not a performance winter tire. At the time I first purchased for my RWD Model S, the tire was very highly rated including wet/dry braking. Interestingly, when I look at current reviews on the tire, it is not as highly rated as I recall it being and I researched options pretty extensively when I first purchased. Perhaps this is from the evolution/development of other technologies in the past several years that are now available? Nevertheless, I have been satisfied by 5 winters of driving on them compared to previously suffering through winters with the OEM all seasons. Looking forward to trying out my new CrossClimate SUVs this winter.

The CrossClimates look really promising as a year-rounder. I was interested in those, but ultimately couldn’t find them in an exactly matching size, so I went with dedicated winter setup (Michelin PA4s).

Awesome write up! Did you get the wheels installed? I reached out to Replika and was informed that the MY should stick with 9.5" rim width due to not only to load rating, but also loss in range from sidewall flex. Had you come across this?

Reactions: MrTemple
Awesome write up! Did you get the wheels installed? I reached out to Replika and was informed that the MY should stick with 9.5" rim width due to not only to load rating, but also loss in range from sidewall flex. Had you come across this?

I've got them installed and they look great!

The tires fit really well. The stock 9.5" rims are really the max width the 255 width tires can accommodate, and they're a little stretched on the stock rims. 8.5" is a lot more natural.

I've never heard or read about what they described. I think there would be *less* issue on 8.5" because it isn't as stretched out.

Replika R241 Wheels and Winter Tires.jpeg

255 tires barely fit a 10inch wheel. I didn't want to drive around on stretched tires. 8.5 is also a lighter wheel

I see... Yea I was hoping that they would at least have a 9 or 9.5 options for the 20s... I been also looking at the 20 TST's by TSportline that runs 255/40/20 on 20x10 combo... It did not look that bad or that stretched. I might just have to get some wheel lip protectors. I like the 20x10 R241, because they are also lighter than the Gemini's, specially for some 20s. Hope I get away with that setup living in Cali.

Also where did you order your wheels from?

Last edited:
For the 20" inductions, anyone have success/experience with the plastic edge/rim protectors? Worth it or useless? Thinking of these in black for my new Y coming in for the wife, just as a last ditch protection measure in case she happens to scrape a curb in a drive through, as has occurred before with other vehicles. (And yes, telling her to never use a drive thru is also an option)

Rim Savers Only $89 with 20% discount

Last edited:
For the 20" inductions, anyone have success/experience with the plastic edge/rim protectors? Worth it or useless? Thinking of these in black for my new Y coming in for the wife, just as a last ditch protection measure in case she happens to scrape a curb in a drive through, as has occurred before with other vehicles. (And yes, telling her to never use a drive thru is also an option)

Rim Savers Only $89 with 20% discount

This can be done much cheaper with strips of vinyl. See this post.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
Nice center caps. Did you buy those as is or did you modify to add the silver Tesla Logo? All I could find OEM from Tesla was the all black (black Tesla logo on black cap).

As I said in another post, but it should also be added to this thread... part of why these wheels are so great is

1. Hub bore is perfect for the tesla - no centering ring needed
2. Stock lug nuts work
3. Stock centercaps work
4. Stock lug covers work

Thus, any centercap kit you see for a model 3, model y, etc - should work. Go to amazon and get the center caps and lug covers for $25. You're welcome :) FYI, the replika centercaps are quite difficult to get off. Going to be nearly impossible to do it with the wheel still on the car. I swapped mine before I mounted them.

I ordered the wheels from Canadawheels.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: DFibRL8R
I see... Yea I was hoping that they would at least have a 9 or 9.5 options for the 20s... I been also looking at the 20 TST's by TSportline that runs 255/40/20 on 20x10 combo... It did not look that bad or that stretched. I might just have to get some wheel lip protectors. I like the 20x10 R241, because they are also lighter than the Gemini's, specially for some 20s. Hope I get away with that setup living in Cali.

Also where did you order your wheels from?

8.5” with is much more standard for 255 tires. 9.5 that come stock is already at the outside edge of recommended. 10” wide rims would be nuts.

Width-wide, my 19x8.5s look much more natural than my Inductions. Tire sticks a bit wider than the rim, where my inductions the rim sticks out, which looks odd (and is the reason for all the curbing).

If I was getting the 20” for winter (tires would cost a lot more), I would definitely stick with 8.5” wide.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
8.5” with is much more standard for 255 tires. 9.5 that come stock is already at the outside edge of recommended. 10” wide rims would be nuts.

Width-wide, my 19x8.5s look much more natural than my Inductions. Tire sticks a bit wider than the rim, where my inductions the rim sticks out, which looks odd (and is the reason for all the curbing).

If I was getting the 20” for winter (tires would cost a lot more), I would definitely stick with 8.5” wide.

Yea I was checking out the Induction wheels when I picked up my Y today. 255 on 9.5 has a bit of a stretch which Is the look I prefer. I think 9” would have been perfect. 8.5” just looks beefy for my taste. I’m wondering if I go with 245/40/20 on 8.5 will give me the same look as the Induction with 255/40/20 on 20x9.5.