Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y and MyQ garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol i know plenty of cars over 100k that dont come standard with garage door openers with homelink, i always find this argument very pointless, different car companies have different priorities of whats standard and whats not, heck at the time my 115k porsche didnt come with blind spot monitoring standard LOL
I think it’s more annoying that back in 2017, Homelink was standard included feature on a $35,000 Model 3. But now, a $80,000 Model 3 performance with a ($15,000) FSD upgrade doesn’t include the part. It’s silly because people use FSD and have the car drive them home only to have the garage door not auto open upon approach.

Porsche is cool in that when you buy a 911, it’s like building a custom house, it can take days/weeks to select from all the options they offer and you know exactly what you are getting when you take delivery of the car.

Meanwhile, with Tesla ordering a car is a timing issue (did Freemont start including the updated door panels? Do I have Matrix headlamps? Is my center console the new one with the magnets? Etc..). It’s a luck/guessing game.

Reactions: Senpai and Alkor
Because it stays with the car, like AB, EAP, FSD, and whatever else will come along....(I know there is a hardware part, but...) and SHOULD have been included with a 60K car. I've drawn I line in the sand.

Besides, integration of a phone this should all be moot anyway - "Smartphone like" and all (a relatively easy script).
TBH, I'm less bothered by Tesla not including it than I am with so many companies including it automatically. Homelink is provided by one company, is fairly expensive, and certainly impacts the cost of the vehicle. But its hidden from the customer, so they don't get to (or have to) make the decision. I bet a lot of people would opt out for $100.

To me, garage door companies should develop a standard communication method, possibly including wifi (an esp32.. is what... $2?) and the car manufacturers should be able to build their own garage door integration very cheaply.

Instead, we have garage door companies sticking with progressively more proprietary systems and homelink extracting an amazing amount of money from it. Switch to Matter or something and the whole problem goes away.

Reactions: Yelobird
I have MyQ garage door opener and app. It is not as reliable as Tesla ones, and it is very slow to response.
My garage door opener has *sugar* for wifi pickup. I live in suburbia, there isn't that much wifi interference and my house is covered by two enterprise grade wireless access points. Yet the GDO would still drop off of wifi or be terribly unresponsive. Ended up installing a 3 access point IN the garage just to make it happy (and gives me some more coverage). I strongly suspect that the garage door companies threw in the cheapest part they could find. like a sub $1 ESP8266 module and called it "Internet enabled". Then they want to charge you hundred of dollars to use that shitty internet connectivity.

I hate how it forces the thing to blink for 10 seconds...
Does your beep too? When I use the app the light blinks and the thing beeps madly for 10 seconds. It's so annoying that I basically refuse to close the garage door using the app.

Reactions: JohnNE and jsight
I have my garage door opener in the middle console. Open the console and click the button and that's it.

Not sure why so many people want HomeLink...
When I was living in a neighborhood it was nice to have the garage door opening without doing anything, keep my focus on the road and sidewalks for kids and pets. Now that I am no longer in a neighborhood I don't see the value anymore, I probably would not have paid for the homelink living where I do now.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Does your beep too? When I use the app the light blinks and the thing beeps madly for 10 seconds. It's so annoying that I basically refuse to close the garage door using the app.
Yes, I forgot to type that... That's why when I want to close my doors remotely from app, I just use the Tesla app, and close it via homelink. I'm curious if you close it with the MyQ integration in the car, if it would still blink/beep as well, as I think it's the API call that triggers it to do that before closing.

I have MyQ setup in my Home Assistant Dashboard which is accessible from the web browser and allows me to control both my garage doors that way. That said I also have homelink and love how it just opens and closes my door automatically even more ;). But its nice to have both options available on my Tesla screen :)

Reactions: jsight
We recently had the Homelink device from Tesla installed and… we LOVE it! The proximity activation is great both when you arrive and leave, I really appreciate that you can have the mirrors fold automatically, too (we have a fairly narrow garage), and we have two homes and it works for both, equally well. I asked the boss what she wanted first, the Homelink or the automatic frunk release/close from Hansshow, and she chose the Homelink. NGL, $350 is steep and the car should’ve come with it, but we’re happy with the functionality.

I have MyQ setup in my Home Assistant Dashboard which is accessible from the web browser and allows me to control both my garage doors that way. That said I also have homelink and love how it just opens and closes my door automatically even more ;). But its nice to have both options available on my Tesla screen :)
How did you get HA working with the tesla browser. I only had it working when I had the nabucasa trial. now while on wifi it won't work!

Has anyone setup the MyQ with the latest updates to Model Y, where you have the option to sign in to you MyQ app from the Control screen? I have the app on my phone and it is free and if I add that account to my Model Y and sign in with the same login, would I have to pay to use the app on Tesla? anyone know?

Has anyone setup the MyQ with the latest updates to Model Y, where you have the option to sign in to you MyQ app from the Control screen? I have the app on my phone and it is free and if I add that account to my Model Y and sign in with the same login, would I have to pay to use the app on Tesla? anyone know?

Free 30 day trial, then pay.

Reactions: Paul1
Yeah, even though it's free on your phone, it's not free to use through the Tesla.

I have two cars and it seems like (so far) one account works for both cars, softening the $45/year blow. What I prefer about the car integration vs. the app is the closing. It doesn't beep for 10 seconds and then close -- it closes immediately when you hit "close" on the car's interface.

This is my first post here, for my new car, and my first experience with a Tesla. It takes a lot of getting used to to drive a laptop. :/

My understanding is that Tesla (Y 2022.44.30.1) supports myQ directly but I must pay myQ an annual subscription to use the garage door opener I already paid for. Or I can use the Homelink method (press Learn button and link like pairing bluetooth). I've done this to my wife's Highlander, but to do that I have to buy a piece of hardware for $350 or thereabouts. And have it installed, or is it a plug in thing? If installed, what should I expect the total cost to be?

Manual says there is a Homelink icon at the top of the screen, but there is not, but there is a myQ icon. I assume the homelink icon shows up if I add the hardware module?

This is my first post here, for my new car, and my first experience with a Tesla. It takes a lot of getting used to to drive a laptop. :/

My understanding is that Tesla (Y 2022.44.30.1) supports myQ directly but I must pay myQ an annual subscription to use the garage door opener I already paid for. Or I can use the Homelink method (press Learn button and link like pairing bluetooth). I've done this to my wife's Highlander, but to do that I have to buy a piece of hardware for $350 or thereabouts. And have it installed, or is it a plug in thing? If installed, what should I expect the total cost to be?

Manual says there is a Homelink icon at the top of the screen, but there is not, but there is a myQ icon. I assume the homelink icon shows up if I add the hardware module?
You can purchase the Homelink kit (currently costs $350 US) from the Tesla online store at Tesla.com. Tesla Mobile Service will install Homelink (the installation is included in the purchase price), takes ~30 minutes.

The MyQ integration with the Tesla Model Y is new, offers some advantage over Homelink. Homelink is stateless in that it never knows whether the garage door is open or closed when Homelink activates. This has led to unfortunate situations where the garage door has closed on a Tesla vehicle or the open hatch of the Tesla vehicle. MyQ always knows the current state of the garage door.