Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y for Australia will come from GF Shanghai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will not buy any car made in China. Bad enough having some components made in China.
Chinese Model 3 is built better than the cars coming out of Fremont. They've already won an award for the highest-quality sedan in Q2 2020 with the least amount of complaints per 1000 cars by customers. Methinks you're holding onto the traditional idea that Chinese goods are low-quality. I dare suggest that your television, smartphone, laptop and washing appliances are made in China. Nowadays, the Chinese are commended on their excellent work ethic and perfectionism relative to other nations.

• Funny
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Chinese Model 3 is built better than the cars coming out of Fremont. They've already won an award for the highest-quality sedan in Q2 2020 with the least amount of complaints per 1000 cars by customers. Methinks you're holding onto the traditional idea that Chinese goods are low-quality. I dare suggest that your television, smartphone, laptop and washing appliances are made in China. Nowadays, the Chinese are commended on their excellent work ethic and perfectionism relative to other nations.
Who gave the award and who do chinese complain to?
Who has commended china for its perfectionism?

Let’s hope we can keep any racism at bay here.I know it's not there yet but it is tittering on it (I think) re @begg 's comment...

I can agree with @rioli33 here, so many a BMW and Merc I have been in China (locally made versions) that are better than the "version" we get here (no matter it be from Germany, USA etc.)

Keep in mind China still wins the award each year for the worst made manufactured product in the world....however iy also it's wins the best made manufactured product. There is a whole lot of grey in the world....

Let’s hope we can keep any racism at bay here.I know it's not there yet but it is tittering on it (I think) re @begg 's comment...

I can agree with @rioli33 here, so many a BMW and Merc I have been in China (locally made versions) that are better than the "version" we get here (no matter it be from Germany, USA etc.)

Keep in mind China still wins the award each year for the worst made manufactured product in the world....however iy also it's wins the best made manufactured product. There is a whole lot of grey in the world....
Just to be clear, the china tesla award was from a chinese company that compared 38 chinese made cars. There was no international comparison. Hence this is very flawed as evidence to suggest high quality.

I dont agree that @begg is bordering on racism. My profession is extremely clear on the consequences of specifying certain very poor chinese made products. Those decisions to refuse such products is based on fact not racial intolerance.

Last edited:
I try to buy nothing made in China and it has nothing to do with quality. I buy Australian made whenever possible. We do not make cars so I buy products from a country that plays fair. China does not play fair. So they do not get my support. Simple. I have a Korean made TV. I check where my products are made before purchasing them. I will buy Chinese made as a last resort. Just check out the bogus trade sanctions the Chinese have implemented against Australian farmers, barley, wine.........

There is absolutely nothing racist about what I buy based on country of origin. I am basically anti globalisation but have to accept our governments have decided that globalisation is the way to go. Well, it now appears globalisation is not working as well as many would like to think. I believe in living sustainably as best I can. Shipping ore overseas and bringing back finished products is stupid. I like Chinese people and have Chinese relatives, so don't play the racism card on me. Don't confuse money and trade with racism EcoCloudIT.

I think its possible they will come from China. Our close proximity along with New Zealand, Hong Kong and eventually India could make it cheaper for Tesla, besides the labour cost I mean.
I can't imagine that proximity matters. China would have to shut down and retool every month or three to build a batch of RHD cars for Australia, NZ and Japan. That's not going to be popular. I'm sure the Chinese workers don't think much of us messing up their routine, and won't put any effort into quality for those batches. I'd much rather trust Fremont or Berlin, thank you very much!

Given that Berlin will almost certainly manufacture for the UK, it's natural they'll end up shipping to the empire as well. It's just as much effort getting a container full of cars from Berlin onto a ship as it is from Fremont. And once it's on the ship, it doesn't cost much to get it anywhere in the world.

I can't imagine that proximity matters. China would have to shut down and retool every month or three to build a batch of RHD cars for Australia, NZ and Japan. That's not going to be popular. I'm sure the Chinese workers don't think much of us messing up their routine, and won't put any effort into quality for those batches. I'd much rather trust Fremont or Berlin, thank you very much!

Given that Berlin will almost certainly manufacture for the UK, it's natural they'll end up shipping to the empire as well. It's just as much effort getting a container full of cars from Berlin onto a ship as it is from Fremont. And once it's on the ship, it doesn't cost much to get it anywhere in the world.

Atm GF Shanghai meant to produce only for Chinese market.. but it may be for APAC as gf berlin will be for EMEA.

So the three world regions covered.

Think HK, India, etc will be another market for GF Shanghai, and it d be interesting if UK too.. basically any RHD markets from GF Shanghai...

Mind U this is still a US company and will be directed by what tesla HQ wants.. not up to the country just because the factory resides there... But from the Berlin factory will likely be where new automobile manufacturing ways will spawn from for tesla and be propagated to the other GF s

Atm GF Shanghai meant to produce only for Chinese market.. but it may be for APAC as gf berlin will be for EMEA.

In the current political environment it's suicide to invest in China for exports.

For domestic production, absolutely, it's huge.

But for exports? Between the virus, and the shonky trade practices (that they're finally being called out for by the world) (and those two might be related), and the constant arrests, and the slave labour and reeducation camps in Xinjiang, and the ethnic cleansing in Tibet, and the repression in Hong Kong, it's just too risky to gamble your company's future in China. Public awareness of any one of those things could start a trade embargo.