Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
Wild theory:

4680 are in limited quantity. Tesla decides to maximize profit and use them for the "standard range" variant ONLY which is what we saw in the new EPA.

Fremont model Y continues producing LR and MYP without any interruption till they scale up 4680 production.
Do you really think if Tesla offered a lower cost Model Y the orders wouldn’t flood in beyond capacity?
Uhhhhh…. They’re are already WELL beyond capacity. And backlog getting bigger by the day.

It appears the EPA certification is now a done deal, but does it really cover all of the Ver. 2.0 MYs variations?. The EPA data base now has new (actually updated) documents that cover all versions of the MY including the LR, P and the new AWD models. While these docs are dated back in Feb. they were just posted. These appear to be the docs associated with the updated EPA certification for the 2022 MYs. Note these are simply revised versions of the documents previously submitted in 2021 to the EPA which were related to the 2022 model MYs. We will need to look these over to see if they cover the ver. 2.0 MYs expected to be coming from Austin very soon, or just adds the new standard range AWD model that what was already approved back on Nov. 1, 2021

Revision,(dated 2/16/2022) of the original EPA Certificate of Conformity: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=54965&flag=1

Last edited:
The blogs have latched onto the EPA report now. Expect TMC to go nuts now.

We all get to find out soon enough. Tesla might hold out announcements for the April 7 Austin GigaFest, and use it for the Q1 Summary.
Yeah who knows but that document shows the awd is only 7lbs lighter than MYLR

Attachments

• FF415CDE-E20A-47A7-B98D-E170394BD07E.jpeg
    FF415CDE-E20A-47A7-B98D-E170394BD07E.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 117
Except it can’t bring prices down much. It will still cost over $50k. And from a business standpoint, they have no reason to bring prices down anytime soon because they have huge demand at current prices and no way to meet it. One day they’ll need a cheaper model. Not now, though, and not for a year or more.

There are PR reasons - consumer and political. An assumed $8k to $10k discount is a sizeable discount especially in these days of rising prices.

Yeah who knows but that document shows the awd is only 7lbs lighter than MYLR
Yeah, interesting reads, still digging, weight reduction not so much (4416 now vs 4356 new)
So far this is what I see:

Model weight battery pack battery depletion range (not EPA)
AWD - 4356lbs 77kWh 352
LR AWD - 4381 80kWh 411
Perf - ? 92kWh 376

here's what I haven't seen:
No ID re: battery type beyond LiOn (ie 4680, 2170, LFP not shown)
Weight for the MYP has eluded me
EPA range calculation - City vs Hwy vs 'depletion range' leaves much for interpretation by the EPA final formula

Also, the 'Car Line Number' appears to leave an opening for an additional model 46 ( 44-MY AWD 45-MYLR AWD 47-MYP AWD )

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Interesting development indeed.
Or another piece of info to speculate about the hell out of 4680.
New Tesla Model Y Version Emerges On EPA's List: But What Is It?

From way out of left field:

Remember the 60 kWh version of the Model S 75? Perhaps this new MYAWD is Tesla revisiting and adapting a clever tactic from the past: a software limited. lower-range version of the upcoming 4860-equipped MYLR.

I'm going to throw stones at my own speculation and suggest that this seems quite unlikely, and would only make sense - as I see it - if Tesla wants to build only one MY 4860 battery pack and has decided to not deliver 4860-based MYLRs to North American customers until they're being produced at both Austin and Fremont. Also, what would happen with the MYP, which I assume is a cash cow that they'll certainly want to keep producing without delays? Austin-only production with an unlocked 4860 pack as Fremont re-tools?

If this were the case, however, they'd be able to keep MY deliveries rolling along while Fremont re-tools, and once 4860-based MYLR deliveries commence from both North American factories, the MYAWD owners may start receiving emails and phone app messages informing them that they can instantly unlock 330-ish miles of range over-the-air for a tidy sum. And unless I'm missing something, I don't see much sense in a reduced capacity 2170-based pack in a MY when they can't build enough copies of the current MYLR to satisfy demand.

Déjà vu all over again, sorta kinda maybe.

From the EPA doc at the 2nd of the links in my above post - on Page 74 the info on the MY LR begins (this was a Jan. 21, 2022 update to the overall document). The MY P info starts on page 63. So this update cover all 3 MYs including the new SR AWD MY. However, I see the test date for the MY-LR was on Aug. 11. 2021 and Sept. 17 for the MY-P, so I doubt this was for ver. 2.0 MYs. So the EPA certification for the new versions of the LR and P may still be pending

Reactions: tangible1
This what gets me about Tesla. I have cash ready to purchase model y performance but with so many unconfirmed stories I can't make a decision. Do, are there new colors, what capacity and battery type, double rear glass and even air suspension. Perhaps the new epa version is the Abyss Blue , air suspension with 4680 batteries giving full power and range boost. It all seems a little unprofessional for a major car company in this day and she.

From the EPA doc at the 2nd of the links in my above post - on Page 74 the info on the MY LR begins (this was a Jan. 21, 2022 update to the overall document). The MY P info starts on page 63. So this update cover all 3 MYs including the new SR AWD MY. However, I see the test date for the MY-LR was on Aug. 11. 2021 and Sept. 17 for the MY-P, so I doubt this was for ver. 2.0 MYs. So the EPA certification for the new versions of the LR and P may still be pending
Good catch. Yes, it looks like the LR and P certifications are for cars that were tested 6-8 months ago. Can't see them being the new builds by any stretch.

Interesting read guys. Thanks. I am all new into the EV game so I have a very steep learning curve.

I am an old school gearhead who measures everything in pounds of boost, octane ratings and decibels of noise! LOL!

Nevertheless I am quite excited with the order of my MYP and with an estimated delivery May 8-June 5 I would hope so that I will be getting the updated MYP… We shall see I guess!

There are PR reasons - consumer and political. An assumed $8k to $10k discount is a sizeable discount especially in these days of rising prices.
this is a company. companies make money. they aren’t going give away a few hundred million for PR when Elon doesn’t even care about PR enough to have a PR department. That’s not where this this is headed. zits a future model for when production capacity eventually opens up. Like, December. Of 2023.

Probably still pending. but ... front castings existed back then. Probably a few battery packs. It may have been possible to hand-build enough for the tests.

Last edited:
From way out of left field:

Remember the 60 kWh version of the Model S 75? Perhaps this new MYAWD is Tesla revisiting and adapting a clever tactic from the past: a software limited. lower-range version of the upcoming 4860-equipped MYLR.

I'm going to throw stones at my own speculation and suggest that this seems quite unlikely, and would only make sense - as I see it - if Tesla wants to build only one MY 4860 battery pack and has decided to not deliver 4860-based MYLRs to North American customers until they're being produced at both Austin and Fremont. Also, what would happen with the MYP, which I assume is a cash cow that they'll certainly want to keep producing without delays? Austin-only production with an unlocked 4860 pack as Fremont re-tools?

If this were the case, however, they'd be able to keep MY deliveries rolling along while Fremont re-tools, and once 4860-based MYLR deliveries commence from both North American factories, the MYAWD owners may start receiving emails and phone app messages informing them that they can instantly unlock 330-ish miles of range over-the-air for a tidy sum. And unless I'm missing something, I don't see much sense in a reduced capacity 2170-based pack in a MY when they can't build enough copies of the current MYLR to satisfy demand.

Déjà vu all over again, sorta kinda maybe.
60 kWh Model S was introduced to boost sluggish sales. MY sales are anything but sluggish.

Here are some more numbers from the documents and EPA Fuel Economy site.

Keep in mind the EPA efficiency numbers account for charging inefficiencies (fairly high at 15% if using 80 kWh usable).

For example on the 2022 LR AWD MY:
Combined - 276 Wh/mile @ 330 miles = 91.08 kWh
City - 265 Wh/mile @ 342 miles = 90.63 kWh
Highway - 288 Wh/mile @ 316 miles = 91.01 kWh

These numbers do not match with the known 82 kWh battery capacity (+/- 80 kWh available).

Running the numbers on the new AWD MY listed on EPA site:

Combined - 274 Wh/mile @ 279 miles = 76.45 kWh
City - 261 Wh/mile @ 292 miles = 76.21 kWh
Highway - 291 Wh/mile @ 263 miles = 76.53 kWh

1647223627657.png

1647223660229.png

Motors specs are the same per the EPA certification.

Based on the 91 kWh recharge event to 80 kWh usable, the 76 kWh recharge event would be 66 kWh usable, maybe 70 kWh total. Unless the 91 kWh recharge events are false (15% charging loss seems very high at 208V). Like maybe they had a VW like cheat in the system when you enter testing mode to burn off excess charge energy so when they measure wh/mile and multiply by charge amount it gives a longer range? If they were getting 280 miles off a 70kWh battery with 66kWh usable with 2170 or 4680, it would seem the weight savings would be a lot more. Unless it was a LFP pack. Seems about right for the extra weight needed for LFP vs NCA but needing larger space for less energy dense battery. But this would mean somewhere energy density numbers would be lower. See M3 RWD is listed as lithium ion battery but with lower specific energy:
1647229959447.png

1647230067648.png

350 V x 174 Ah = 60.9 kWh for LFP M3 RWD.

All this is a bit confusing but doesn't really point to a certain thing that changed. Both the original doc from 10/21/21 and this new one from 2/22/22 list MY LR AWD and MY Performance AWD volts as 360, battery specific energy as 180 (no units) and battery energy capacity as 235 (also no units). New documet also listed MY AWD with the same specs so you'd think it wouldn't be LFP since the specific energy is higher. If you attach amp hours to the battery energy capacity and multiply by volts you get watt hours so 235 x 360 = 84,600 Wh or 84.6 kWh. With this number, the 76 kWh recharge events on this new variant seem more likely than the 91 kWh ones before. But would mean a much higher battery buffer than we have seen in the real world. Still perplexing that we see 15% less range and supposedly same battery chemistry, energy and energy capacity listed in the documentation as prior versions, just different recharge event kWh and miles achieved during testing. And very similar weight. Something isn't adding up with what has been submitted.

Maybe a switch in testing to show more real world range? All the battery and weight numbers listed in the testing show the car is the same. But the recharge numbers are mileage are much lower.

And please don't call this the SR AWD MY. All SR cars are RWD and have been renamed as such.

Probably still pending. but ... front castings existed back then. Probably a few battery packs. It may have been possible to hand-build enough for the tests.
2/2/22 application was certified 2/16/22 and just posted on 3/11/22. 2/23/22 application may have received certification by now (2+ weeks) but posting appears to be 25 days after certification. So if you add 2 weeks to 2/23/22 you get 3/9/22 for certification and add 25 days to that and you get posting on 4/3/22, just in time for GigaFest.