Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you feel misled about? Where did anyone say the first vehicles built in Austin would be MYP and would be far advanced over Fremont vehicles? I won’t hold my breath waiting for that info.

Fact, everybody over interpreted battery day numbers. Just because the new battery for,at could potentially provide such increases given the same space consumed doesn’t mean they will use the same space to increase capacity or that they have actually realized all of those potential gains at this point.

You CAN win millions of dollars gambling in Vegas. Does everybody wine millions of dollars gambling in Vegas? No. Most do not. Very few do. As Billy Joe said, wish in one hand 💩 in the other, see which one gets filled first… if you expect 💩 to turn into 💎, you’re in for a lot of disappointment.
Dammit! Vegas trip cancelled....

But wouldn't MYP still give you the car way before the LR model? I ordered two weeks ago and have a EDD of may 22-june 24, originally it was june 8-july 24. A week after ordering it moved up.
Not necessarily. It may depend a lot on current EDD, order date and location. two different SA’s, one national on phone, the other yesterday, told me not to change order to P, that P’s have pushed out some with so many switching orders etc, and I’m close enough now in the pecking order and that it might actually slow my delivery. Who knows. At minimum though, the “switch to a P” tactic now is getting as murky as everything else about EDDs.

Reactions: robeeen and DrGriz
What do you feel misled about? Where did anyone say the first vehicles built in Austin would be MYP and would be far advanced over Fremont vehicles? I won’t hold my breath waiting for that info.

Fact, everybody over interpreted battery day numbers. Just because the new battery for,at could potentially provide such increases given the same space consumed doesn’t mean they will use the same space to increase capacity or that they have actually realized all of those potential gains at this point.

You CAN win millions of dollars gambling in Vegas. Does everybody wine millions of dollars gambling in Vegas? No. Most do not. Very few do. As Billy Joe said, wish in one hand 💩 in the other, see which one gets filled first… if you expect 💩 to turn into 💎, you’re in for a lot of disappointment.
When I go to Vegas I know what I am getting, bright lights and a house that always wins, I am fine with that . When I am buying a car or other consumable I think it reasonable to have a fair idea of the major items in the spec, especially as the CEO and Elon have dropped major hints to prime the pump. This is more like WeWork or some flighty girl friend. My joke is, I wanted a game if cowboys and Indians for my birthday my Dad bought me Tesla. Don't get me wrong can't wait for the car but I think the company lacks professionalism when dealing with it's customers. It needs to grow up a bit.

Reactions: JDL@h and rwjr44
When I go to Vegas I know what I am getting, bright lights and a house that always wins, I am fine with that . When I am buying a car or other consumable I think it reasonable to have a fair idea of the major items in the spec, especially as the CEO and Elon have dropped major hints to prime the pump. This is more like WeWork or some flighty girl friend. My joke is, I wanted a game if cowboys and Indians for my birthday my Dad bought me Tesla. Don't get me wrong can't wait for the car but I think the company lacks professionalism when dealing with it's customers. It needs to grow up a bit.

Yes Tesla has room for a lot of improvement in areas.

But the issue of being misled is all on you buying into the hype machine from youtubers, here, and other blogs taking the scant amount of information that has come from Tesla/Musk and blown it out of proportion in speculating how a 4680 MYP could look like. But Tesla has put out no such information. It's not Tesla's fault for you being caught up in the hype machine created by people with no affiliation with Tesla. Your feeling of being misled should be pointed towards the people who make money by putting out ridiculous speculative and highly clickbait material.

Here are the facts: The Model Y that will come out of Austin will be 4680 structural pack. That's it. That is the only factual information that we have.

What trims of the Model Y that will initially be built and how a 4680 Model Y looks like is pure speculation. Austin could output Model Y P's due to lower production numbers during initial ramp. They could only output this Model Y AWD model with 280 mile range( this is a bit more factual given the EPA ratings of such model had an Austin VIN). They could built this AWD model and the LR. They could build all three trims. We just don't know. So the feeling of being misled being put on Tesla is highly misplaced. They have not given you any statement that MYP's will come out of Austin immediately. They have not given out any statement that a 4680 MYP will be faster, lighter, or handle better vs a Fremont 2170 MYP. They have not given out any statement of any kind of how a Model Y with the 4680 will look like.

Just like if Tim Cook put out a statement going, " The next iPhone's battery will be amazing!". A guy on youtube runs with that statement and hypes it to the extreme and goes, " The next Apple iPhone 14 will have nuclear fusion for its battery!" and reality is the iPhone 14 just has a bigger capacity in the same size as the last battery due to better chemistry, you shouldn't be mad at Apple and feel misled there. Your anger should be pointed towards that person who put out such a ridiculous statement.

Yes Tesla has room for a lot of improvement in areas.

But the issue of being misled is all on you buying into the hype machine from youtubers, here, and other blogs taking the scant amount of information that has come from Tesla/Musk and blown it out of proportion in speculating how a 4680 MYP could look like. But Tesla has put out no such information. It's not Tesla's fault for you being caught up in the hype machine created by people with no affiliation with Tesla. Your feeling of being misled should be pointed towards the people who make money by putting out ridiculous speculative and highly clickbait material.

Here are the facts: The Model Y that will come out of Austin will be 4680 structural pack. That's it. That is the only factual information that we have.

What trims of the Model Y that will initially be built and how a 4680 Model Y looks like is pure speculation. Austin could output Model Y P's due to lower production numbers during initial ramp. They could only output this Model Y AWD model with 280 mile range( this is a bit more factual given the EPA ratings of such model had an Austin VIN). They could built this AWD model and the LR. They could build all three trims. We just don't know. So the feeling of being misled being put on Tesla is highly misplaced. They have not given you any statement that MYP's will come out of Austin immediately. They have not given out any statement that a 4680 MYP will be faster, lighter, or handle better vs a Fremont 2170 MYP. They have not given out any statement of any kind of how a Model Y with the 4680 will look like.

Just like if Tim Cook put out a statement going, " The next iPhone's battery will be amazing!". A guy on youtube runs with that statement and hypes it to the extreme and goes, " The next Apple iPhone 14 will have nuclear fusion for its battery!" and reality is the iPhone 14 just has a bigger capacity in the same size as the last battery due to better chemistry, you shouldn't be mad at Apple and feel misled there. Your anger should be pointed towards that person who put out such a ridiculous statement.
Not angry, it's only a car, the $250 is like option money. For some the amateurish approach is fun . Just think there should be a more mature approach to how customers are treated.

You know exactly what you sign up for when you place an order. The specs are on the website. The approximate delivery date is there too. Maybe Tesla does themselves a disservice by constantly updating the EDD and by doing running upgrades for free instead of delivering exactly what was ordered and making you cancel you initial order to get the new upgrades at a higher price. I feel that is one of the nice things about Tesla. They don’t make you get in the back of the line and pay more to get these new features. The problem is the expectation that you will get something better than what was listed on your order page. And that expectation lies solely on you and the hype machine, not on Tesla. They owe you nothing beyond what was listed on the website at the time you ordered.

To add on to what was mentioned above as what we know about Austin, they will deliver to the eastern 2/3 of the country. When this will happen is not known but that is the goal for Austin. If there is a new model only produced there they might deliver everywhere initially until Fremont can make the same.

Not angry, it's only a car, the $250 is like option money. For some the amateurish approach is fun . Just think there should be a more mature approach to how customers are treated.

Holding the youtuber/blogs clickbaiters accountable is not Tesla's responsibility, it is yours. If you fell for their hype and you're disappointed in that hype didn't hold true to your expectations when Tesla fully announces the details, then you stop watching those youtubers and stop reading those blogs. It's not amateurish or immature for Tesla to not correct them or be transparent at every step of the way as they prepare to bring a new factory online or updates in how they will build their cars. Do you think GM is giving Corvette customers step by step updates of how the Z06 is along its development track to production? All GM will say is they are on track to start production by xxx date or announce a delay.

They will announce things when they will announce it. All they have done( through Musk) is provide small snippets of information that bear in no way how Tesla plans to do things or the product itself.

Reactions: mrwug
Perhaps Tesla should add to transparency by having disclosed contributors to provide some guidance here. Might help protect the corporate image. To be frank I think my being here has been counter productive for me. I should just have ordered the car and waited as I would with any other manufacturer. Initially the speculation here is fun but after a time , to me, just becomes frustrating and counter productive. The core of the site discussing ownership issues and accessories is great and informative the EDD and spec stuff is pointless conjecture and takes away from the overall Tesla experience.

Perhaps Tesla should add to transparency by having disclosed contributors to provide some guidance here. Might help protect the corporate image. To be frank I think my being here has been counter productive for me. I should just have ordered the car and waited as I would with any other manufacturer. Initially the speculation here is fun but after a time , to me, just becomes frustrating and counter productive. The core of the site discussing ownership issues and accessories is great and informative the EDD and spec stuff is pointless conjecture and takes away from the overall Tesla experience.

If Tesla was completely transparent in how they plan to do things, it would A) harm their own profitability B) Give up their competitive edge as competitors will also know exactly Tesla plans to do things and can plan and beat Tesla. You're not going to get complete transparency.

Your solution to stop buying into the hype machine because it messes with your expectations to the point it ruins your experience is the best solution. Sit back, wait for the car, take delivery, and enjoy it.

After reading too many posts in this forum, I've formed my own speculation.
1)Texas will build an entry level Y (Including supplying rental company orders), Semi, and Cyber Truck production.
2)MYP will remain 2170 batteries for at least another year for several possible reasons like 4860 supply and cooling batteries with a higher current motor . The S and X are still 18650 batteries after all.
3)If and when the 4680's go in the MYP, it will be the same time at both US factories.
4)The 4680 and Structural pack/frame are cheaper but may not be better.
5)April 7th will leave more questions than answers.

Take the above with a grain of salt.

If Tesla was completely transparent in how they plan to do things, it would A) harm their own profitability B) Give up their competitive edge as competitors will also know exactly Tesla plans to do things and can plan and beat Tesla. You're not going to get complete transparency.

Your solution to stop buying into the hype machine because it messes with your expectations to the point it ruins your experience is the best solution. Sit back, wait for the car, take delivery, and enjoy it.
Don’t forget, pivoting when issues arise. If they release a roadmap and need to pivot due to, say global chip shortages, they will be held responsible for not meeting projections. Which, in turn hurts their stock and image

Reactions: DrGriz
1)Texas will build an entry level Y (Including supplying rental company orders), Semi, and Cyber Truck production.
2)MYP will remain 2170 batteries for at least another year for several possible reasons like 4860 supply and cooling batteries with a higher current motor . The S and X are still 18650 batteries after all.
3)If and when the 4680's go in the MYP, it will be the same time at both US factories.

Of all the speculations and possibilities I have read in this forum, these 5 points are truly well written and I find myself in agreement totally.

What about your thoughts on MYLR?

Reactions: advocate8

Hi, quite possible however I cannot agree that the structural battery pack will not be an improvement. The saving of up to 400 lbs when coupled with the 4680 that will dramatically improve the drivability and performance range my not necessarily increase that much as wind and rolling resistance will still be about the same. If MYP does not have at least some improvements sales myvgivto BMW and others and Tesla magic grip will be vulnerable.

What about your thoughts on MYLR?
Same boat or further behind the P. The limiting factor at this point is 4680 cells supply even if their plan is to transition. I think there is a possibility the current models will not change cells just like the X and S. The Ys built at Austin will be the new version/versions (low range entry speca and whatever they surprise us with). The only time the current MYLR and MYP, and the S 3 X will change cell type would be a complete redesigned.

Reactions: mwdietertg
Hi, quite possible however I cannot agree that the structural battery pack will not be an improvement. The saving of up to 400 lbs when coupled with the 4680 that will dramatically improve the drivability and performance range my not necessarily increase that much as wind and rolling resistance will still be about the same. If MYP does not have at least some improvements sales myvgivto BMW and others and Tesla magic grip will be vulnerable.
I said “May not” ;)

400 may be a huge overstatement. 25 lbs less with only 280 miles of range is what the new dual motor’s paperwork is showing.

Reactions: mwdietertg