Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do we know that the new MIT Model Y has 828 cells? I am seeing reference to this in many posts but dont recall that being stated by Tesla. Was someone able to actually count all 828 cells? Or is this just a guess? Seriously, not trying to be difficult but wondering where this number came from?
Someone who went to the almost otherwise information-free barbecue dinner took a photo of one of the new packs that was cut away to show how it was put together, the new structural foam crush zones etc.
The batteries were all in place, easy count.

When Elon says model y will have 4680 and be produced at Giga Texas.

Then Boglino said there was no constraint on 4680 supply.

Both public statements from the top.

That is why I placed my order had never been in Tesla site till that day.

Perhaps my interpretation was incorrect but not unreasonable. I would just like clarification not unreasonable.

Last edited:

Then Boglino said there was no constraint on supply.

Perhaps my interpretation was incorrect but not unreasonable. I would just like clarification not unreasonable.

Yep, they're gonna make one variant of the model Y in Texas initially, which appears to be a SR+ lower range model

And Yep, by sticking with 2170 cells for the MYLR, there's no "constraint" on battery cells. Tada!

Nailed it. The vast majority of their audience and most MY order holders aren't obsessing over MY models and specs they way we are (myself included). I was hoping for more, but in no way expecting more. CyberRodeo was a macro PR event, much bigger than the details about 1 current model.
Also Tesla wants to sell cars based on features. Not cell size. Not factory. They don't want the internet deciding that one factory is better than another, because internet be crazy.

Even if Tesla can build a 400 mile 4680 MY they probably don't want to.

Also Tesla wants to sell cars based on features. Not cell size. Not factory. They don't want the internet deciding that one factory is better than another, because internet be crazy.

Even if Tesla can build a 400 mile 4680 MY they probably don't want to.
Tesla keeps saying they are a cutting bedge company they can't complain when they announce cutting edge battery and chassis design then after announcing but people want to buy it based on their implied time frame.

Reactions: advocate8

Then Boglino said there was no constraint on 4680 supply.

You're way out ahead of Tesla actually announcing a MYP with 4680 cells and what performance such vehicle will actually have in the real world. You might be better off canceling your order and taking a step back from the hand wringing.

Lots of us had hopes but now that the Cyber Rodeo is over and no new info has been delivered, it is time to move on with what we actually know. Fun to speculate but the amount of angst 4680 has generated for some is not productive.

Lots of us had hopes but now that the Cyber Rodeo is over and no new info has been delivered, it is time to move on with what we actually know. Fun to speculate but the amount of angst 4680 has generated for some is not productive.
I agree, I was just thinking of the productivity I lost over the last month waiting for the Y. I am very glad my P is finally being delivered this month.

Reactions: Jones1
Might get more info during the earnings call on 4/20. I’m sure there will be a question regarding Austin and ramp up. Regardless, I’ll be happy to get my MYP from any factory seeing as they have improved it with a new 12v battery and nvidia chip.
I'm not holding mny breath for more info at the Q1 Earnings Call either.
Elon doesn't want to continue doing these, and unless the Call observers are given free reign to ask questions, it's unlikely the Alien Dreadnought will dish.
Tesla wants to keep the dance going. Answering specific config questions might put a damper on the dance.
Why would they go there?

Last edited:
Reactions: nativewolf
Tesla is just so frustrating sometimes with their lack of transparency. I mean not even a mention of the SR AWD at the rodeo and then they are prepping it for their website a few days later?

In regards to the LR and P, who in their right mind would want to take delivery now knowing that an objectively better version could be out tomorrow or two years from now. So shaky

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan and WhiteWi
Tesla is just so frustrating sometimes with their lack of transparency. I mean not even a mention of the SR AWD at the rodeo and then they are prepping it for their website a few days later?

In regards to the LR and P, who in their right mind would want to take delivery now knowing that an objectively better version could be out tomorrow or two years from now. So shaky
And revealing when, exactly, they intend to convert Fremont and also start building LR and P at Austin would just exacerbate their self-made problem.
They'd risk droves of people Holding their orders.
The conversion will not be revealed until after the fact. Meanwhile, keep a sharp eye on the Texas and Fremont drone videos for evidence.

who in their right mind would want to take delivery now knowing that an objectively better version could be out tomorrow or two years from now.
Thousands and thousands of people who want to get one of the best cars in the world and not support countries that sell oil to generate money to invade other countries and commit mass murder?

RT

Objectively better? How?

Reactions: FOD11
I'm not holding mny breath for more info at the Q1 Earnings Call either.
Elon doesn't want to continue doing these, and unless the Call observers are given free reign to ask questions, it's unlikely the Alien Dreadnought will dish.
Tesla wants to keep the dance going. Answering specific config questions might put a damper on the dance.
Why would they go there?
Credibility?

Tesla understands that brand interest is higher when these things are rumors. They don't want to spoil the mystery too soon.

My point exactly, least I am not on my own.

Tesla doesn’t owe us anything other than cars that match the specs on the website when you ordered. If you can accept this fact, you will accept your Fremont MYP and enjoy it a lot more. There is no place during ordering that describes battery type or chemistry. You continuing to demand more information is perpetuating the hype blogs’ rumors. Drop it. Enjoy your Fremont Y. When Tesla wants to release the information, they will.
Well said! I think we should take a step back and appreciate the fact that the cars Tesla is producing out of Fremont keep getting better and better. We’re seeing YouTubers and people on the boards saying how their 2022 models have improved in overall quality. But it often gets overshadowed by people here asking “wen 4680!?”. There will always be something newer and more shiny than the product you buy.

Me for one. The car they are delivering today’s is better then it was when I ordered. I expect it will be better next year and for sure 2 years from now. Doesn’t stop me from wanting to get one delivered today. If I really like those upgrades and I want a better car, I will order a new one.

They will always be getting better. Until they are discontinued

Well said! I think we should take a step back and appreciate the fact that the cars Tesla is producing out of Fremont keep getting better and better. We’re seeing YouTubers and people on the boards saying how their 2022 models have improved in overall quality. But it often gets overshadowed by people here asking “wen 4680!?”. There will always be something newer and more shiny than the product you buy.
So to go on but, thec4680 and cast chassis are a game changer, it's not like red calipers or a parcel shelf or even air suspension in my book.