Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, went to the Tesla store this weekend, forgot to take a pic though :(, but yeah it was empty, scary, not sure what happened, they sold all their cars, this usually happens EOQ, or something's happening?
I suspect it's likely normal that the showroom clears out as part of their push to move as much inventory as possible. That also said, the fact that it's still empty two weeks into a new quarter has me questioning why. Fortunately I'm right by the gallery here in Cincinnati so I drive by it each morning and evening in my commute. I've only seen 4 new vehicles come through (all model S) since the quarter start. Also interesting that there is a California manufacturer plate in the lot (white) with an Austin VIN.

Reactions: KWC_Diu and cc333
I suspect it's likely normal that the showroom clears out as part of their push to move as much inventory as possible. That also said, the fact that it's still empty two weeks into a new quarter has me questioning why. Fortunately I'm right by the gallery here in Cincinnati so I drive by it each morning and evening in my commute. I've only seen 4 new vehicles come through (all model S) since the quarter start. Also interesting that there is a California manufacturer plate in the lot (white) with an Austin VIN.
Hmmm... CA plate but TX VIN, what Model was that? Model S? I don't think S are being product in TX, only Y & CYBTRCK, so will be interesting if it was a S.

This would at least make sense of why seemingly every MYP EDD has been pushed back as of late. Most of the April deliveries look like end of March rejects.
Ohhhh nooo... now the merry ground starts again for those with long-standing orders! Rodney Dangerfield, waving 7-iron over his head: “4680s for everyone! Put those May EDDs on hold!"

Me, I’m going to the mat ... going on hold until that parcel tray comes through, and then cancelling my order if I have to until I know it’s part of the build. Magnet lid console would be gravy!

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and BGOwner
All the people who canceled or held out on the MY 2.0 from Austin with the 4680's. With hopes of a car with 400+ mile range, better performance, faster charging and perhaps air suspension and a significant reduced cost. And what did we get? 50 miles less range, slower acceleration and savings of 3k (at the moment).
Oh well, at least they threw in a parcel cover and a magnet for the console. 🤷🏼

I'm one of the group with an ordered MY LR at substantial discount from current prices. My only thought at the moment is that this probably means I'll get production from Fremont, unless Tesla manages a really rapid ramp at Austin.

This makes sense (I think) from Tesla's POV: those who have locked in lower prices will get the older technology, while the 4680 Model Y SR has justification to have a price premium.

If it works out this way, I'll look into flipping the Fremont car and then waiting for the (future) XLR MIA Model Y next year.

This scenario occurred to me some time ago so I don't feel any particular angst over it playing out this way.

lets just stop comparing the AWD standard to the LR or P. 60k vs 63k vs 68k

Look at other competitors. the business part of it.

a EV6 AWD MSRP is around 58k. I just check bc I saw one park last night. Not bad looking car.

a Ioniq5 AWD MSRP is around 56k.

these are not including any dealer add ons and stuff. Or markup. I think Tesla is going after this market. The machE AWD and ID4 AWD is part of this market too. The 55k-60k range AWD sector.

Why would Tesla offer their standard AWD under 58? I think they priced it just right. If you even compared specs, why would u buy these other legacy auto EV! They can't even compete. I tried the ID4 and machE, Tesla is still years ahead. I haven't tried the EV6 or Ioniq5 yet but I will one day. They don't get me excited tho. Inside will feel outdated in a few months, if you know what I mean.

once u add in markup from these EV but u do get the tax credit if you qualify, it around the same ball part as a Standard AWD. Then its all about the wait time. Then once u add in Tesla SC, GG!

Last edited:
Reactions: advocate8
I'm one of the group with an ordered MY LR at substantial discount from current prices. My only thought at the moment is that this probably means I'll get production from Fremont, unless Tesla manages a really rapid ramp at Austin.

This makes sense (I think) from Tesla's POV: those who have locked in lower prices will get the older technology, while the 4680 Model Y SR has justification to have a price premium.

If it works out this way, I'll look into flipping the Fremont car and then waiting for the (future) XLR MIA Model Y next year.

This scenario occurred to me some time ago so I don't feel any particular angst over it playing out this way.
Yah, it’s hard to complain too much about not getting 500-mile range 2 sec 0-60 4680 car when I can flip the car the day I get it for minimum $7K profit. Thanks Elon! Keep tweeting about Putin or whatever.

Reactions: DrGriz and rhk109
All the people who canceled or held out on the MY 2.0 from Austin with the 4680's. With hopes of a car with 400+ mile range, better performance, faster charging and perhaps air suspension and a significant reduced cost. And what did we get? 50 miles less range, slower acceleration and savings of 3k (at the moment).
Also higher interest rates. Best DCH rate is 2.24% when it was 1.24% a little more than a month ago.

Reactions: DrGriz
lets just stop comparing the AWD standard to the LR or P. 60k vs 63k vs 68k

Look at other competitors. the business part of it.

a EV6 AWD MSRP is around 58k. I just check bc I saw one park last night. Not bad looking car.

a Ioniq5 AWD MSRP is around 56k.

these are not including any dealer add ons and stuff. Or markup. I think Tesla is going after this market. The machE AWD and ID4 AWD is part of this market too. The 55k-60k range AWD sector.

Why would Tesla offer their standard AWD under 58? I think they priced it just right. If you even compared specs, why would u buy these other legacy auto EV! They can't even compete. I tried the ID4 and machE, Tesla is still years ahead. I haven't tried the EV6 or Ioniq5 yet but I will one day. They don't get me excited tho. Inside will feel outdated in a few months, if you know what I mean.

once u add in markup from these EV but u do get the tax credit if you qualify, it around the same ball part as a Standard AWD. Then its all about the wait time. Then once u add in Tesla SC, GG!
they all have $7.5k tax credit available for most people.

Ohhhh nooo... now the merry ground starts again for those with long-standing orders! Rodney Dangerfield, waving 7-iron over his head: “4680s for everyone! Put those May EDDs on hold!"

Me, I’m going to the mat ... going on hold until that parcel tray comes through, and then cancelling my order if I have to until I know it’s part of the build. Magnet lid console would be gravy!
Jokes aside, I do want a parcel tray! If this tray turns out to be a more elegant solution than the third party ones, works with other MY variants, and Tesla makes it available I'd probably buy one.

Reactions: BGOwner
Yup

I was one of those waiting for the Texas news since December but decided to take delivery of my P last month. Once I heard interest rate going up, I locked in DCU at 1.24%. A day later , it jump to 1.75. Now 2.25.

My order was back in nov 2021, so still got the lower price and being in CA, we still qualify for the CVRP rebate. All new orders don’t anymore since the base Y is over 60k.

Once they announce the awd standard Y, I guess ppl from CA will qualify again for the rebate. I’m sure tesla see that too. Can’t priced it over 60k or u might lose a few CA buyers.

Reactions: FOD11
“LFP batteries are even better than the previous NCA cells, at least when powering the Tesla Model 3. This is especially true when it comes to driving in the cold. Did we mention that LFP batteries can be charged to 100% without risking degradation? That is another bonus for longer trips, so it looks like the new chemistry is already a winner.”
That from: Tesla's New LFP Battery Truly Shines in Sub-Zero Temperatures, Looks Like a Winner
Along with this:

If this is the case with the new Model Y AWD, I’d be happy to accept replacement of my LR & keep it fully charged, being better in cold temps…the Distance is a wash really.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer and DrGriz
I follow one of the Tesla inventory tracking groups and talked to the person who runs it. I asked them if they seen it this quiet at the beginning of the quarter and she cannot remember ever seeing it this dead with no VINs coming out. They're for sure upgrades coming out imo

Air suspension was a dream / too good to be true. I wasn't one of them with such high expectations, but I was sure hoping for dual rear pane windows & ventilated seats which is all expected to come some time this year.

That from: Tesla's New LFP Battery Truly Shines in Sub-Zero Temperatures, Looks Like a Winner
Along with this:

If this is the case with the new Model Y AWD, I’d be happy to accept replacement of my LR & keep it fully charged, being better in cold temps…the Distance is a wash really.
I'll wait to see what happens in reality, but winter range is definitely a concern for me, too. <200 miles reliable for LR right now much of the year (10-90%), so actual 230 or 240 would be nice. But we shall see.

Along with this:

As best we understand, the 4680 is still on NMC chemistry - the same as other model Y's. So no - we don't expect it to act like LFP

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Air suspension was a dream / too good to be true. I wasn't one of them with such high expectations, but I was sure hoping for dual rear pane windows & ventilated seats which is all expected to come some time this year.
Ventilated seats in the MY are in the same realm as air suspension on the MY. People ran with it because it was mentioned in the manual and ignored other cut and paste jobs that didn't apply to the MY. Not saying it's never going to happen, but there's no rumors or confirmation beyond that.