Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The factory is 25 minutes away from my house and I imagine on the first runs they are going to examined with a fine tooth comb.
Your only problem is that they aren't allowed to sell you one without it being shipped to another state first . Your just as likely to get a Fremont car because of it . They need to ditch that law, it makes no sense.

Terrible law, I wonder if Elon will just ignore it and pay fines.
He's not that kind of person. The law was meant to protect dealer franchises so that the manufactureres could not sell direct to the consumer and bypass the dealers. They never thought we would have a manufacturer with 0 dealers and 0 franchises. It should be easier for them just to get an amendment to the current law. I would hope that something is already in the works.

He's not that kind of person. The law was meant to protect dealer franchises so that the manufactureres could not sell direct to the consumer and bypass the dealers. They never thought we would have a manufacturer with 0 dealers and 0 franchises. It should be easier for them just to get an amendment to the current law. I would hope that something is already in the works.
Unfortunately unless there is a special session the legislature in Texas won’t meet until 2023 to consider new proposals. Elon should have flexed on the Governor before announcing the new Giga factory in Austin.

Your only problem is that they aren't allowed to sell you one without it being shipped to another state first . Your just as likely to get a Fremont car because of it . They need to ditch that law, it makes no sense.
Those laws protect the sales tax revenue that the local cities get from the dealerships.
It's big money, and local budgets depend on it. Cities fight over them.
Not an easy task to change those laws.
Just sayin'......no dog in that hunt.

Those laws protect the sales tax revenue that the local cities get from the dealerships.
It's big money, and local budgets depend on it. Cities fight over them.
Not an easy task to change those laws.
Just sayin'......no dog in that hunt.
Buying a Tesla is like buying a car from a third party and register it by yourself. The sales tax is the same. The existing laws are dumb and outdated.It only hurts the consumers and the manufactures.

Buying a Tesla is like buying a car from a third party and register it by yourself. The sales tax is the same. The existing laws are dumb and outdated.It only hurts the consumers and the manufactures.
Sorry, but money talks.
Those tax revenues become a significant portion of local revenues and are fought over.
No State has been an easy rollover on this issue.
Govt doesn't give a **** about the consumer, what's fair, or if it's dumb to us. It's THEIR MONEY.

Has there been an official / Unofficial name announced for this next generation Giga-Pressed one piece casting frame with the 4160 battery pack? Are we calling the "MY2.0" or "MYP2"? I sure hope one roles out of Giga Austin and or Fremont very soon and Tesla gives us all a teaser video with some specs of the Speed and new expected range! 🤪
I am calling it the real 2022 model Y and that is pissing some people off ^^

Sorry, but money talks.
Those tax revenues become a significant portion of local revenues and are fought over.
Govt doesn't give a **** about the consumer, what's fair, or if it's dumb to us. It's THEIR MONEY.
Wouldn't a Tesla sale give the same tax revenue for local government? I don't see how dealership model brings more revenue than direct sale.

Wouldn't a Tesla sale give the same tax revenue for local government? I don't see how dealership model brings more revenue than direct sale.
It's Local vs County vs State.
How they divvy it up makes a BIG difference.

Traditionally, the local community gets the lion's share, and their budget planning over many years depends on it.

I can't speak to Texas ordinances, but if you're a community in TX that doesn't have oil activity, the car dealer is a big kahuna.

It's Local vs County vs State.
How they divvy it up makes a BIG difference.

Traditionally, the local community gets the lion's share, and their budget planning over many years depends on it.

I can't speak to Texas ordinances, but if you're a community in TX that doesn't have oil activity, the car dealer is a big kahuna.
That’s not how it works and by your own admission you don’t know Texas. Let’s get back on topic.

Reactions: Electroman
Sorry, but money talks.
Except now, none of that sales tax money is going to anyone in Texas because the vehicle has to be sold in another state.

Are you sure? Initial production run will have higher quality control issues.
Does anyone remember the car movie Gung Ho with Michael Keaton? lol

1641267695784.png

Last edited:
I am calling it the real 2022 model Y and that is pissing some people off ^^
first, it's not a one-piece megacast, it's TWO PIECES - a Front magacast, and a Rear megacast.
It should be noted that the Rear magacast has been in the chassis since spring 2021.

Second, there are TWO WAYS a new chassis coming soon might be built. No one knows which it might be. No one. Blogs know squat.
Tesla has stated their GOAL is a chassis with a 4680-based structural battery pack. That pack becomes the floorpan. This is a true "v2.0" MY chassis.
Tesla has also stated a BACKUP PLAN, using a 2170-based battery pack, and a reinforced floorpan. The 'backup plan' assumes 4680 delays. This is a "v1.5" chassis.

The "v2.0" chassis manufacturing processes uses fewer robots, takes fewer steps, costs less, and achieves more unit volume.
There are also weight savings, ~440lbs, a 10% reduction compared to the current "v1.0" chassis.

The backup plan 2170 build saves ~200lbs in weight, but costs and speed are similar to what the "v1.0" buiild is now. There are some process/robot steps saved.

It's likely we will know this month what direction Tesla is going in the near term.
Long term we know what their stated goal is, so no mystery there.

All the noise about "AMD Ryken" chips and heaadlights (not legal in USA), and other details are minutiae.
The real deal is the change is chassis construction.

Hold on to the rails, it's gonna be an interesting next couple weeks.

Reactions: BillyG2022MYP
Vehicle sales tax is based on the purchasers address. It has nothing to do with WHERE they buy it. Which is why this is all a waste of a discussion.
Oh but it does.
Registration fees go to the STATE.
Sales tax goes to the COMMUNITY where it is SOLD.
If that's in another State, you may need to pay sales tax TWICE when brought back into TX. That DOES happen.

In CA, it's NOT A SALES TAX that gets paid. Its a USURY TAX. It's a very common misconception.
The difference is - it's a Usury Tax for the use of and maintenance on the highways and byways of the State of CA. It's NOT a sales tax.

Depending on whether States have a bilateral tax agreement, they may or may not impose that tax on you TWICE.

what you're an expert, or just frustrated a thread goes in several directions?

Lighten up! It's a blog!
Oh. Ok. Right. Please continue to explain how California tax laws relate to your inaccurate statements about Texas which again you admit you know nothing about… in a thread about Gigafactory. I’ll lighten up by using the lovely mute button. This is a waste if you don’t see how your comments are pointless.

Not sure if it's in works in Texas but Musk figured that one out. He's known to negotiate deals on Native American reservation land. It brings much needed jobs to the res and Tesla service centers to the local area. It takes time of course.