Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
until I see an Austin Vin number, I don't think Austin is this close to production. Unless they build a crap load of cars first then assign vin numbers after but this is not Tesla has been doing in the past at Fremont.
Unless they don't want to tip off people that Austin is open before an official announcement since they are publicly traded and that will have an impact on the stock price.

until I see an Austin Vin number, I don't think Austin is this close to production. Unless they build a crap load of cars first then assign vin numbers after but this is not Tesla has been doing in the past at Fremont.
Production at Austin is imminent if not already begun.
There have been continuous deliveries of production material, mostly at night but also seen competed dashboard/screen assemblies delivered in recent weeks.
Tegtmeyer has reported that completed, assembled, MY's are being driven inside the building.
The building is a mile long and 1/4 mile wide, so even though much of it is still under construction, driving inside is probable.
The stamping, Megacast, paint, and General Assembly areas are compete and running, and there's thousands of stamped steel body components and Megacasts stored inside since August. Battery packs and motor assemblies have been delivered from Fremont/Nevada.
All of this has been documented via Tegtmeyer drone flyovers in the last several months, and his discussions with construction and Tesla personnel under permission from Tesla.

I did not realize that was already stated.
I definitely recall hearing this as well - S/X only in Fremont. It makes sense really - the price range of the two mean they'll always be a limited production vehicle. At most I bet they sell 200k world-wide... even 5-10 years from now (even with an massive update/refresh/redesign). Far more likely they keep production to one factory. I don't even think they'll want to waste the resources equipping a factor to build them... at some point they'll need to kick off their sub-compact (smaller and cheaper than even a 3) thats been talked about for a couple years now.

But hey... it's all conjecture for now and its likely we'll get less and less info as time goes on imo (now that Elon is no longer giving the shareholder briefings... it was nice when he'd say whatever he felt like saying lol).

Maybe that is why so many of us now have June Dates, as soon as they announce Austin open, they will assign us those VINs. Probably not, but it would be nice.

I definitely recall hearing this as well - S/X only in Fremont. It makes sense really - the price range of the two mean they'll always be a limited production vehicle. At most I bet they sell 200k world-wide... even 5-10 years from now (even with an massive update/refresh/redesign). Far more likely they keep production to one factory. I don't even think they'll want to waste the resources equipping a factor to build them... at some point they'll need to kick off their sub-compact (smaller and cheaper than even a 3) thats been talked about for a couple years now.

But hey... it's all conjecture for now and its likely we'll get less and less info as time goes on imo (now that Elon is no longer giving the shareholder briefings... it was nice when he'd say whatever he felt like saying lol).
They may be limited but the wait time is still 12-18 months for them . I'm sure they would likeget people those cars within a few weeks

They may be limited but the wait time is still 12-18 months for them . I'm sure they would likeget people those cars within a few weeks

Doesn't matter what we think/want. Elon was very clear that S/X will remain at Fremont exclusively.

The S/X are also not products that utilize the megacastings, they are more traditional autos in that regard. This means MANY more steps for assembly and MANY more pieces. That translates into much longer assembly lines. Tesla is not going to give up all that floor space in their new factories to build a few 10,000 cars per year, when they can utilize it for megacast products (3, Y, soon to be CT) and produce MANY MANY more autos from the same floor space.

If giga austin can produce, Model Ys and 3s with 4680 batteries in the coming deliveries that would be great, I am due but my date got pushed back, to march for a performance, I dont mind the wait specially since they are talking about 2 great things, one being the 4680 battery and the other one is the ventilated seats. That would help us here in the summer heat.

I
If giga austin can produce, Model Ys and 3s with 4680 batteries in the coming deliveries that would be great, I am due but my date got pushed back, to march for a performance, I dont mind the wait specially since they are talking about 2 great things, one being the 4680 battery and the other one is the ventilated seats. That would help us here in the summer heat.
Indeed. I've got one on hold that's $1k cheaper than the current price - comes off hold February 27th. Depending on the news we get out of Austin, I may go as far as cancelling that order and placing a new one with a later hold date, even if it means paying $1k more and eating the $250 reservation fee.

That and I'm a fan of Texas in general (not everything, but most lol), love that state, its history and SpaceX. I'd much prefer a made in Austin Model Y.

I still have a hard time believing that the 4680s will be seen before Q3. It's one thing for the QA of the MYs and Model 3s out of the new factory, but they at least have experience building them. It would seem that the QA for the 4680s is going to require a good amount of time IMO (of course, the Model Ys that have been reported to be driving in GIGA Austin, could technically be with the 4680s so maybe its already started...doubt it though).

I still have a hard time believing that the 4680s will be seen before Q3. It's one thing for the QA of the MYs and Model 3s out of the new factory, but they at least have experience building them. It would seem that the QA for the 4680s is going to require a good amount of time IMO (of course, the Model Ys that have been reported to be driving in GIGA Austin, could technically be with the 4680s so maybe its already started...doubt it though).
Tesla is building Semi's in Nevada.
Those depend on 4680's. So something is being produced for batteries.
But no one knows what !!

Reactions: Prodock