Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once the cars are produced in a state where weed isn't legal QC issues will dissapear... ;)
Of course. It’s a well know proven fact, supported by evidence and established legal review that everyone in California, especially NorCal is stoned 24/7. I think Trump said it, so well, that’s as good as being straight from God’s lips.

I guess I live in a different world. Looking at the site and the videos / snapshots I see something very different.

Unless there are other lines or areas that are much further along - what I see is engineering proof testing and some equipment QA. I see a lot of incomplete process areas around some key components.

In short based on what is visible in those pictures I would say they are a month away from meaningful production. They will have increasing validations and walk throughs. There will be some full runs of test units. But that site is no where near a week away from producing hundreds (much less dozens) of cars a day.

Again, maybe there are full lines not visible which are a couple weeks ahead of what we can see but to me this video proves that Joe and others are being far too optimistic.

Go compare the state of Austin to Shanghai when it started limited production (Oct 2019 IIRC). They are very similar, although Austin is a different layout with things much more enclosed (under one roof).

Go compare the state of Austin to Shanghai when it started limited production (Oct 2019 IIRC). They are very similar, although Austin is a different layout with things much more enclosed (under one roof).
Shanghai didn’t start deliveries until Jan 2020. In Oct 2019 Musk showed pictures inside the factory and it was more complete than Austin is in the pictures from today. So if we use Shanghai as the example Austin is still 2 months away at least. I think they will beat that but 7-10 days is not realistic.

Reactions: advocate8 and voxel
I guess I live in a different world. Looking at the site and the videos / snapshots I see something very different.

Unless there are other lines or areas that are much further along - what I see is engineering proof testing and some equipment QA. I see a lot of incomplete process areas around some key components.

In short based on what is visible in those pictures I would say they are a month away from meaningful production. They will have increasing validations and walk throughs. There will be some full runs of test units. But that site is no where near a week away from producing hundreds (much less dozens) of cars a day.

Again, maybe there are full lines not visible which are a couple weeks ahead of what we can see but to me this video proves that Joe and others are being far too optimistic.
I'd say 6-7 weeks might be closer to it.

Of course. It’s a well know proven fact, supported by evidence and established legal review that everyone in California, especially NorCal is stoned 24/7. I think Trump said it, so well, that’s as good as being straight from God’s lips.
And Texans hate them some weed. Oh, wait....isn’t WIllie Nelson... and uh... Elon..... never mind.

Darn! There is no chance to get the panels on my MY straight from day one....even if it comes from Austin.
There's always hope. Just look how much better current Starships look than the original MK1 mockup lol.

I could see Tesla one day having impeccable build quality... not anytime soon though. I figure automation and reducing components is the best way to do that... which is Tesla's thing. For now though... its pretty evident they are a ways from 'bringing it all together'.

Reactions: advocate8
Just thinking ahead to when the first forum member gets their hands on a Austin built MY -

Is there info available on the car's display to indicate the capacity (KWH) of the installed battery pack. This would help us determine if the new battery pack really has increased capacity, which in turn might indicate the new 4680 batteries are being used. If Tesla is initially still using 2170 cells, then I doubt they would increase the number of cells over what's in the current MYs. If what was said at Battery Day still holds then the structural battery pack using 4680 cells should have perhaps near 90 KWH capacity.

Last edited:
Just thinking ahead to when the first forum member gets their hands on a Austin built MY -

Is there info available on the car's display to indicate the capacity (KWH) of the installed battery pack. This would help us determine if the new battery pack really has increased capacity, which in turn might indicate the new 4680 batteries are being used. If Tesla is initially still using 2170 cells, then I doubt they would increase the number of cells over what's in the current MYs.
Looks like the owners manual was just updated, so look like the jack up lift points on the car have changed so if its not shown on the screen possibly a quick picture behind the front tires should help identify.

Is there info available on the car's display to indicate the capacity (KWH) of the installed battery pack. This would help us determine if the new battery pack really has increased capacity, which in turn might indicate the new 4680 batteries are being used. If Tesla is initially still using 2170 cells, then I doubt they would increase the number of cells over what's in the current MYs. If what was said at Battery Day still holds then the structural battery pack using 4680 cells should have perhaps near 90 KWH capacity.
Access to the battery pack kWh rating requires a bit of 3rd party hardware. Bearded Tesla Guy did a video on it quite a while back.

However, it's entirely unlikely Tesla is going to stick to the hyped script of a larger battery pack than in the current MY.
First, 4680 batteries are not in production outside Kato Road, so supply is limited.
Second, with a 9 month order backlog, there's no financial benefit to Tesla in giving away batteries.
Third, there's no market competition, and won't be for 12-18 months.

As a follow-up to my post from 2 days ago. I stopped by my local Tesla sales/service/delivery center again this morning and talked to a different sales associate. I asked about their incoming new MY demo vehicle. The SA went into the back room and briefly talked to their manager then came out and reported they have not yet received the specific details on the vehicle but the manager was told it would be a MY LR coming from Austin and they should receive it on (or about) Jan. 24th. They didn't have any other info to share.

As a follow-up to my post from 2 days ago. I stopped by my local Tesla sales/service/delivery center again this morning and talked to a different sales associate. I asked about their incoming new MY demo vehicle. The SA went into the back room and briefly talked to their manager then came out and reported they have not yet received the specific details on the vehicle but the manager was told it would be a MY LR coming from Austin and they should receive it on (or about) Jan. 24th. They didn't have any other info to share.
The demo better not be my specs 😁. OD 9/8 EDD just changed today from 13 Jan -10 Feb to 1 Feb - 1 March. Hope this EDD change reflects that I'll be receiving an Austin Y. I'd prefer to wait a month or so for it, but would take a Fremont Y tomorrow.

As for the 4680 battery availability, I don't believe they are fully 'stocked'; however with the news of the 15 semi's being (supposedly) delivered to Pepsi later this month does show some progress. It's possible that 4680s will be reserved for all MYs and limited semi orders while the 2170 batteries will be reserved for the M3. Just my wild guess, never know what is 'under the hood' of Tesla until the news is published officially.