Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have only seen YLR so far . Until someone sees a MYP from Austin they don't exist. I am sure they couldn't fill their orders just making the MYLR so they may just ship their MYLR until they get up to speed and the MYP stays in fremont .
Agreed. No real advantage to starting with MYP first. At best, they would bring down the MYP backlog to zero and still have a 6 month + wait for MYLR. New MYLRs are now 7 months if you customize or 11 months for white/grey with 19”.

super surpised they said Shanghai and Fremont are running at reduced capacity due to supply chain bottleneck! Imagine you have so many trucks and drivers but the port has little containers

so Berlin and Austin being online would not help production and therefore deliveries and thus revenue. what investors will say...

The new factories are more efficient, lowering costs even at constrained volume, and raising profits. This is why it makes zero sense to stuff extra 4680 cells into the Model Y to extend it's range - they already sell every Y they can make.

How do you know they are YLR? I respectfully disagree. They certainly wouldn't put expensive wheels on the Performance vehicles if they were just going to be used for testing and apparently all test vehicles must be destroyed. Or they may use YLRs for testing.
Tesla customarily produces the more expensive model first to maximize their profit at the earliest opportunity. Look at the Model S. You can get a PLAID in a few weeks and have to wait until Aug for an LR Model S.

The configurator says Model YPs have an EDD in March, while the YLRs are not available until August.

Why are test cars destroyed?
Automakers typically destroy test models because they may be drastically different from the vehicles approved by regulators and certified for sale to consumers
Even the MYP test cars in germany had the tires and the calibers of a MYP. It doesn't mean they aren't there we just have not neen them yet.

As far as shipping times, they will push some configurations sooner in order to maximise their profits. That 2-3 month window for MYP from order to delivery has been consistant and all handled out of fremont. Its the MYLR where the backlog is with orders outstanding from October 2021.

Until we see some actually shipped we won't know.

Considering the following, what are the odds that the MY I ordered will be made at Giga Texas?
  • I live in Florida, but I was born in Texas
  • Even though Florida is on the East coast, I live in Tampa which is on the West Coast (of Florida)
  • My last name is German (ok technically it's Dutch)
  • The company I work for is headquartered in Silicon Valley 10 miles from Tesla Fremont
  • I like Chinese food (real Chinese, not the crap from strip malls)

Considering the following, what are the odds that the MY I ordered will be made at Giga Texas?
  • I live in Florida, but I was born in Texas
  • Even though Florida is on the East coast, I live in Tampa which is on the West Coast (of Florida)
  • My last name is German (ok technically it's Dutch)
  • The company I work for is headquartered in Silicon Valley 10 miles from Tesla Fremont
  • I like Chinese food (real Chinese, not the crap from strip malls)
In the Florida waiting room I believe one of members spoke the SC and they said they were getting demo vehicles from Austin next week. I believe all the MYP and M3 demos still came from fremont but the MYLR had not arrived yet from Austin

I think there is a chance you get one but who knows...

The new factories are more efficient, lowering costs even at constrained volume, and raising profits. This is why it makes zero sense to stuff extra 4680 cells into the Model Y to extend it's range - they already sell every Y they can make.

This used to be true, but that calculus changed today with Elon clearly stating on the call, probably 15 times, that chip supply is their biggest constraint right now, NOT batteries. He stated he sees that problem continuing all year, possibly into 2023.

If they can only build a certain number of cars due to chip supply, then it does make sense to try to sell higher margin cars (i.e. longer range, more features, etc.). That means some cars could get bigger batteries for something like an "extended range" version or the like.

Reactions: SWIPE and Stook02ss
Austin Y? 11th digit A?

See vin on waiting for Tesla WaitingForTesla.com - Find all available Model Y Inventory in United States

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 8.20.24 PM.png

How do you know they are YLR? I respectfully disagree. They certainly wouldn't put expensive wheels on the Performance vehicles if they were just going to be used for testing and apparently all test vehicles must be destroyed. Or they may use YLRs for testing.
Tesla customarily produces the more expensive model first to maximize their profit at the earliest opportunity. Look at the Model S. You can get a PLAID in a few weeks and have to wait until Aug for an LR Model S.

The configurator says Model YPs have an EDD in March, while the YLRs are not available until August.

Automakers typically destroy test models because they may be drastically different from the vehicles approved by regulators and certified for sale to consumers
Berlin starts with MYP and they use Performance wheels from the get go.

The qualification and performance testing I've been a part of, although it's not in the automotive industry, requires it be completed in the same configuration it'll be used/expected, so I doubt they switch the wheels to save a couple bucks while running an invalid configuration (they don’t sell the P with 19" wheels) through qual testing.

Reactions: CJO4 and BGOwner