Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody think they will start production out of Austin with only black interior? I know when they started production first of the MY out of Freemont it was only black Interior.
No one has any idea of anything atm. All guesses. No idea what trim, when, what color, etc. All we do know is that Elon said Austin cars will likely be going East to reduce shilling cost and that they should begin getting some to customers in Q1... I wouldnt bet on it though or remotely count on getting one even if they do. In reality it could be April or May before anyone gets an Austin MY 🤔

I'd pay another $6-7k over a performance, but that's about it. For a Plaid... which had better have more than just 4680s.

Amusingly, the plaid Model S and X are done with... 1865 battery cells, which could be considered "two generations back" in some respects. 4680 is about manufacturing efficiency, less about power and range

Amusingly, the plaid Model S and X are done with... 1865 battery cells, which could be considered "two generations back" in some respects. 4680 is about manufacturing efficiency, less about power and range
I'm 100% aware. The 4680 is also supposed to charge faster and last longer. Moreover, the structural battery packs are supposed to make the vehicle lighter and more rigid - in other words, it should make a new MYP superior in almost every way to the existing one, and Id gladly pay more to get it.

The power and range.... meh.

Reactions: NYMY
I'm 100% aware. The 4680 is also supposed to charge faster and last longer. Moreover, the structural battery packs are supposed to make the vehicle lighter and more rigid - in other words, it should make a new MYP superior in almost every way to the existing one, and Id gladly pay more to get it.

The power and range.... meh.
you are 100% correct, and I put my MY order on hold to make sure I get a car out of Austin. But for me, the additional 16-20% of range that the 4680s will deliver is also very attractive.

you are 100% correct, and I put my MY order on hold to make sure I get a car out of Austin. But for me, the additional 16-20% of range that the 4680s will deliver is also very attractive.
Where are you located? If you are west of Texas you will get a Fremont car. Fremont should be switching to 4680s as well. After all, the current batteries are made down the road, much less travel to get to Fremont than Austin.

I'm watching the Austin Gigafactory saga with interest. We now have a MY which is leased, picked-up Nov 2020. So the car will turn into a pumpkin Nov 2023. I will only buy (not lease) our next MY with 4680 cells, for pretty obvious reasons.

Wife and I live in two parts of the nation, AZ and MA. We picked-up our MY in AZ (we live south of Tucson, got the car in Phoenix). I keep on reading the Fremont/Austin discussion and hope we will be able to get our next model Y with the 4680 cells when in AZ.

Our only other option is to (inconveniently) declare our MA home as the place we order the next MY from and drive that MY back to AZ from MA (we have already driven our current Tesla from AZ to Cape Cod and back~an easy peasy ride).

If anyone has any insight in regard this matter I'd appreciate hearing your input.

Rich

I'm watching the Austin Gigafactory saga with interest. We now have a MY which is leased, picked-up Nov 2020. So the car will turn into a pumpkin Nov 2023. I will only buy (not lease) our next MY with 4680 cells, for pretty obvious reasons.

Wife and I live in two parts of the nation, AZ and MA. We picked-up our MY in AZ (we live south of Tucson, got the car in Phoenix). I keep on reading the Fremont/Austin discussion and hope we will be able to get our next model Y with the 4680 cells when in AZ.

Our only other option is to (inconveniently) declare our MA home as the place we order the next MY from and drive that MY back to AZ from MA (we have already driven our current Tesla from AZ to Cape Cod and back~an easy peasy ride).

If anyone has any insight in regard this matter I'd appreciate hearing your input.

Rich
First, you have over 18 months before your lease expires, so plenty of time to see when Fremont switches over to 4680. I am sure it will be well before then. If not, you can always order it for delivery to MA, get your temp tags from Tesla, then register it in AZ. A few others have done something similar.

I know @eric.freeman ordered and had his car delivered recently to the east coast, then 2 days later moved to AZ. So I am sure he had to do something similar

Reactions: eric.freeman

Rich
Are you prepared to fly out to MA on a moment’s notice when they give you a 3 day window for pickup?