Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lets be honest... not really going to be that famous outside of these circles. I doubt anyone is going to buy him a beer if he leads with, "Hey did you know I got the very first Austin built Model Y? Yeah... I'm kind of a big deal."

True, but you underestimate the value some of these people put into these things to make such a statement.....

Look at the lengths people here go through to delay orders for the tax credits, AMD, low volt battery, try to manipulate delivery from Austin despite living in CA, etc.

This person trolling/doing a fake tweet trying to lay claim to the first Austin Y is NOT surprising to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesraki
We live in a society of online trolls and attention seeking individuals that perceive that their online/social image is more important than actually what they do in real life. This mysterious keyboard warrior must have an extremely small life to want this kind of attention.

I've been a member of several online forums over the years and you always have the good and bad influences and people on the boards. I think the worst part of any enthusiast board is that several people who identify as a fan/enthusiast of a product/car/hobby, will absolutely crap on people who have a competing view. This hive-mindset only reinforces the gullibility and simplemindedness of the human population. Easily controlled, conformed, and siloed. Lexus GX guys crap on anything not Toyota/Lexus made. Tesla guys crap on just about everything ICE and to a degree any BEV that isn't Tesla. I like the people here that have innovative solutions, products, habits that help and inform rather than break someone down. Those people are why enthusiast groups started in the first place.

If he would have posted the VIN #, which he could have done easily, we'd all know a lot more. But they didn't and "all of a sudden the VIN disappeared and WE called Fremont (sure) and they gave me a new VIN". I guess thats one way to get out of deleting your twitter account.

Just got my VIN this morning for 2022 MYP and it's Fremont. Mixed feelings, was hoping for the 4680s but looks like not yet.
I also just got my VIN for my Performance Model Y order, and it is a Freemont VIN. Whilst I am half disappointed, at the same time maybe there is a blessing in taking delivery of the 2170s batteries. Those batteries have proven themselves and we still dont know if there will be any defects or recalls down the road for the 4680s. Also, I would like to think that the Freemont Model Ys will be better built since they have been around the block for a while now. i suspect Austin may have some growing pains initially and quite frankly getting a Model Y from Austin initially may not be a good thing.
Also, getting the old batteries means you are getting the old "casting". Youtube the new casting and the structural 4680 batteries. With the new casting it will be harder to repair a Model Y once it is involved in an accident because of the single cast.
All this of course is just my humble opinion... I am by no means an expert.

I also just got my VIN for my Performance Model Y order, and it is a Freemont VIN. Whilst I am half disappointed, at the same time maybe there is a blessing in taking delivery of the 2170s batteries. Those batteries have proven themselves and we still dont know if there will be any defects or recalls down the road for the 4680s. Also, I would like to think that the Freemont Model Ys will be better built since they have been around the block for a while now. i suspect Austin may have some growing pains initially and quite frankly getting a Model Y from Austin initially may not be a good thing.
Also, getting the old batteries means you are getting the old "casting". Youtube the new casting and the structural 4680 batteries. With the new casting it will be harder to repair a Model Y once it is involved in an accident because of the single cast.
All this of course is just my humble opinion... I am by no means an expert.
Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it. If you do have regrets, I'm sure you'll be able to sell and order another once all the Austin kinks are worked out lol.

I feel all these early video's being posted about Austin were planted to drum up the stock and market. How come no more Y's are being produced and standing outside? I doubt they are fitting all of them inside the building as they are filling it with people.
Maybe. I think they've been stockpiling 4680 batteries for a while now. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this rollout. As soon as Austin cars start piling up or Austin VINS getting issues, people are going to get very picky... holds, rejections, etc.

I almost feel like they should add a 'sport' trim. Offer only Model Y Performance, but make people pay $2k more for a 'sport' sub-trim. When 2170 is gone, drop the Performance and just keep 'Performance Sport' as the new performance trim.

This. Any claims of Austin built VIN needs an immediate screenshot of the entire VIN. None of this "trust me" bullshit.
Yup. I would love to see this happen, but I'm tempering my expectations until we see more activity in Austin - I don't think there haven't been any signs in the last week that they are making serial production vehicles (intended for customers) yet. Unless they are assigning VINs before vehicles are produced, I think we have a ways to go.

Yup. I would love to see this happen, but I'm tempering my expectations until we see more activity in Austin - I don't think there haven't been any signs in the last week that they are making production vehicles intended for customers yet. Unless they are assigning VINs before vehicles are produced, I think we have a ways to go.
Until we see production vehicles parked outside, ready to be shipped out, I’m not getting excited. I can’t imagine they could store production vehicles inside, even if they start with low volume.

Reactions: Budshark
Yup. I would love to see this happen, but I'm tempering my expectations until we see more activity in Austin - I don't think there haven't been any signs in the last week that they are making serial production vehicles (intended for customers) yet. Unless they are assigning VINs before vehicles are produced, I think we have a ways to go.
There is plenty of parking in that building for any new production. The outside is filty with all the dirt I can see them decding to leave what they can indoors . Its also possible that they failed something and have to make a change and just don't want to announce it.

Reactions: BGOwner
This. Any claims of Austin built VIN needs an immediate screenshot of the entire VIN. None of this "trust me" bullshit.
Even a full screen shot doesn't really prove anything.

I got an Austin VIN! 🤣

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 5.38.03 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: leaftoy