Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Joe Tegtmeyer (drone videos), transport trucks have been leaving GigaTexas in the mornings of late.
I'm guessing the shipments so far are for Tesla showrooms.
Dunno. Could be. My bet would be to other Tesla operations for employees…otherwise some would have reached those showrooms days ago and beans would’ve spilled ...but I’m not wedded to that theory.

I’m sure this has already been discussed in this thread, but there’s 148 pages, so I’m just going to ask this question. Do you think EDD’s for Model Y’s will jump once Austin goes live? Right now my EDD says October which is pushed back from my original EDD of August and I’m hoping it’s sooner.
Might take a year to work through the industry backlog. There is a huge backlog in the industry because of the chip shortage. So if Tesla's become available with shorter delivery times, then more people will order. For order already placed, we have to trust Tesla knows what they are doing and have calculated Austin ramp in their projections.

Last edited:
Technically no he didn't lie about "shipping" Model Ys from Austin. They have been shipping but we just don't know exactly to where and in what config.
“Sources close to Tesla say delivery of customer cars should commence towards the end of Q1.” That is what was reported. Not shipping cars from Texas to Sales Centers but specifically delivering customer cars. And delivering a not for sale model to employees does not count as delivering customer cars.

“Sources close to Tesla say delivery of customer cars should commence towards the end of Q1.” That is what was reported. Not shipping cars from Texas to Sales Centers but specifically delivering customer cars. And delivering a not for sale model to employees does not count as delivering customer cars.
He didn't specify cars were for regular customers. He just said they will start delivering out of Austin.

Re: Q4 2021 Earnings call transcript

"But I think it is worth noting that we -- and as the internet has observed, we've been making quite a few cars in Texas and Berlin, so -- in Austin and Berlin. So in Texas, we're building the Model Ys with the structural battery pack and the 4680 cells, and we'll start delivering after final certification of the vehicle, which should be fairly soon. Capacity expansion will continue through maximizing output of each factory and building new factories and new locations in the future. Although we're not ready to announce any new locations on this call, but we will get through 2022 look at new locations, and probably be able to announce new locations toward the end of this year, I expect."

He didn't specify cars were for regular customers. He just said they will start delivering out of Austin.

"But I think it is worth noting that we -- and as the internet has observed, we've been making quite a few cars in Texas and Berlin, so -- in Austin and Berlin. So in Texas, we're building the Model Ys with the structural battery pack and the 4680 cells, and we'll start delivering after final certification of the vehicle, which should be fairly soon. Capacity expansion will continue through maximizing output of each factory and building new factories and new locations in the future. Although we're not ready to announce any new locations on this call, but we will get through 2022 look at new locations, and probably be able to announce new locations toward the end of this year, I expect."
delivering to where, Mars???

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj and KJD
delivering to where, Mars???
Well, Tesla was given permission to make 2000 'test articles' in Berlin, which must be scrapped. They cannot be sold, or even just given away to employees. So there's that.
Tesla has made many hundreds of cars at GigaTexas. We don't know yet what version, or where or to whom they might go, but we've seen 400+ on display out of doors.

So Tesla is playing their usual internet hype tune. And we are dancing to their mastery of using the internet as advertising.

No rational human on earth would have taken this to have meant anything other than delivering to customers. And I don’t think for a minute he was wording it cleverly to leave open the possibility of some cars going to employees or for use by the company somewhere. If that was the intent, to deceive with half-clever weasel words? that’s actually worse than intentionally fibbing by a couple weeks with his standard time-warp hyperbole.
I believe it was the latter.

At this point I wouldn’t be flabbergasted if there isn’t news on the 7th about customer deliveries, which models, ramp-up details etc. Right now all that is guaranteed is a lot of smoked brisket.

So... Just to fill in some of the time till the "Mega Honky-Tonk / Backyard BBQ Party."

Did anyone else realized that the Tesla Website has differences between the Desktop and the Mobile versions.

1) The EDDs provided based on your selections.

For MY LR, White, Gemini, No Tow, 5 Seat, NO FSD
- Desktop version provides "Ranges." Ex: Jan 2023 - April 2023.
- Mobile version provides a "Single Month." Ex: Jan 2023.

It wouldn't be a problem if the range provided on the Desktop version is only 1 month. But it is a 4 months range!

2) Adding FSD

For MY LR, White, Gemini, No Tow, 5 Seat, NO FSD
- Desktop version: EDD DOES NOT change when you ADD the FSD. EDD: January 2023
- Mobile version cuts 6 months. EDD: June 2022

So much for giving priority to adding FSD.

Curious enough, Choosing Blue, Black or Red, Adding the 20" induction wheels, Adding Tow Hitch, Choosing White interior, Choosing 7 Seater does change the EDD on both versions.

Any undercover Tesla employees on this tread? Here are a couple things you can work on ;)

Cheers,

Any reason to think that the wildly fluctuating EDDs actually end up correlating to actual delivery dates other than only in the vaguest way? I'm pretty convinced that trying to move your EDD by adding options may be successful, but probably won't affect your actual delivery date by much-- and almost certainly not in an easily measurable way; there's just way too much noise in the EDD signal. The only thing that seems clear is that MYPs deliver relatively quickly and MYLR's don't.

Any reason to think that the wildly fluctuating EDDs actually end up correlating to actual delivery dates other than only in the vaguest way? I'm pretty convinced that trying to move your EDD by adding options may be successful, but probably won't affect your actual delivery date by much-- and almost certainly not in an easily measurable way; there's just way too much noise in the EDD signal. The only thing that seems clear is that MYPs deliver relatively quickly and MYLR's don't.
...in California.

No rational human on earth would have taken this to have meant anything other than delivering to customers. And I don’t think for a minute he was wording it cleverly to leave open the possibility of some cars going to employees or for use by the company somewhere. If that was the intent, to deceive with half-clever weasel words? that’s actually worse than intentionally fibbing by a couple weeks with his standard time-warp hyperbole.
I believe it was the latter.

At this point I wouldn’t be flabbergasted if there isn’t news on the 7th about customer deliveries, which models, ramp-up details etc. Right now all that is guaranteed is a lot of smoked brisket.
I don't think that the Austin cars are certified yet. It was Musk's hope and expectation, but apparently it hasn't happened.

So, yes he meant customer deliveries, and no, they aren't happening yet.

I don't think that the Austin cars are certified yet. It was Musk's hope and expectation, but apparently it hasn't happened.

So, yes he meant customer deliveries, and no, they aren't happening yet.
Tesla Energy employees are driving them around so they are certified. Just because they haven’t sold them doesn’t mean they aren’t certified. The one that showed up on Twitter had temp tags so it is registered with the state which means it is certified.

And unless Tesla maintains title, transferring it to another person is a sale so cars have to leave the state and ownership changed out of state before they can be registered in Texas.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and JDL@h
I don't think so. They are not allowed to sell cars out of factory in Texas so they wont be able to deliver those cars at giga fest. but Deliveries could be going near by showroom where customers can pick up their first texas made cars.
According to the SA in Austin, there are 3 possible delivery methods to Austinites, Home, SC, or Factory pickup. They haven't worked out the details. That was 3 weeks ago.

Tesla Energy employees are driving them around so they are certified. Just because they haven’t sold them doesn’t mean they aren’t certified. The one that showed up on Twitter had temp tags so it is registered with the state which means it is certified.

And unless Tesla maintains title, transferring it to another person is a sale so cars have to leave the state and ownership changed out of state before they can be registered in Texas.
Thank you for sharing that. This is the first I had heard that Tesla employees are driving MYLRs around on public roads.