Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for sharing that. This is the first I had heard that Tesla employees are driving MYLRs around on public roads.
We don’t know that they are MY LR. Likely the AWD 280 mile variant.

We don’t know that they are MY LR. Likely the AWD 280 mile variant.

OK. that's what confused me. I knew about the AWD's and that they had certification. I thought the conversation was about customer deliveries, and when Musk mentioned that we didn't know about the AWDs. I was referring to the 2680 and/or structural MYLR. Since customers can't order the AWD, there won't be any deliveries until then, and I didn't think he was referring to them. I was thinking about the structural battery MYLR not being certified.

Did not mean to side track the conversation. Thank you for the clarification.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Any reason to think that the wildly fluctuating EDDs actually end up correlating to actual delivery dates other than only in the vaguest way? I'm pretty convinced that trying to move your EDD by adding options may be successful, but probably won't affect your actual delivery date by much-- and almost certainly not in an easily measurable way; there's just way too much noise in the EDD signal. The only thing that seems clear is that MYPs deliver relatively quickly and MYLR's don't.
EDD cannot be taken as accurate. You would assume it to be, but it is not. It constantly adjusts, sometimes wildly, sometimes incrementally.
At best it's an estimate with a 45 day window, but difficult to use as a reasonable planning aid.
Stay light on your feet, get your financing lined up well prior, then hunker down and wait it out.
Hopefully you hang onto your current vehicle until you are assigned a VIN, at minimum, and better, until after the new vehicle is in your possession.

Reactions: mrwug and advocate8
EDD cannot be taken as accurate. You would assume it to be, but it is not. It constantly adjusts, sometimes wildly, sometimes incrementally.
At best it's an estimate with a 45 day window, but difficult to use as a reasonable planning aid.
Stay light on your feet, get your financing lined up well prior, then hunker down and wait it out.
Hopefully you hang onto your current vehicle until you are assigned a VIN, at minimum, and better, until after the new vehicle is in your possession.
I think the reason there are no MYP out of Texas is they using the parts they have for the old format at Fremont. This also implies that if a MYP is going to come from Texas it will be an updated spec. Fremont will retool and we are off to the races. If not we are in for a very boring time and I for one will feel mislead.

Reactions: advocate8
I think the reason there are no MYP out of Texas is they using the parts they have for the old format at Fremont. This also implies that if a MYP is going to come from Texas it will be an updated spec. Fremont will retool and we are off to the races. If not we are in for a very boring time and I for one will feel mislead.

I don't think there's anything Fremont vs Texas specific to the uprated rear motor, brakes or suspension pieces.

It's likely just simpler to build all the MYP's in one place instead of two.

Elon has stated multiple times in the past about how aware he is of the Osborne effect. That being the case, I have zero doubt that the earliest we'll hear about any new MYP, LR, etc. will be on 4/7. The lack of news until that point is unsurprising and frankly, expected.

Jeff Roberts posted new photoes of Red MYs at Austin. Now just need some Silver

1648943441590.png

the one thing that we DO know about what's being produced at Giga Texas is that no MYP has been made there yet.
Not a single red brake caliper or rear deck spoiler has been seen.
Actually the one thing we DO know is no one knows ANYTHING. This has been going on for months and pages with “experts, drone footage, people in the know, sitings, pics etc etc” and still nothing. The narrative has changed a hundred times.

The one thing I DO know is when I see the first cars roll into customers driveways then I will know the specs, color, battery, processors etc etc. Until then and for the next 30 pages it is all speculation filled with people that know nothing.

Elon has stated multiple times in the past about how aware he is of the Osborne effect. That being the case, I have zero doubt that the earliest we'll hear about any new MYP, LR, etc. will be on 4/7. The lack of news until that point is unsurprising and frankly, expected.
I think Elon is going to wait till 4/20 , at the earnings conference, to tell us about the new super duper improved performance model.

Now we're talking speculation1
According to Elon, everything out of Austin is the 'updated spec'.
As you so adroitly stated, the only thing we know is that no one knows anything, really.

It's Tesla's tune, and we're just dancing to it.

• Funny
Reactions: advocate8
What do you feel misled about? Where did anyone say the first vehicles built in Austin would be MYP and would be far advanced over Fremont vehicles? I won’t hold my breath waiting for that info.

Fact, everybody over interpreted battery day numbers. Just because the new battery for,at could potentially provide such increases given the same space consumed doesn’t mean they will use the same space to increase capacity or that they have actually realized all of those potential gains at this point.

You CAN win millions of dollars gambling in Vegas. Does everybody wine millions of dollars gambling in Vegas? No. Most do not. Very few do. As Billy Joe said, wish in one hand 💩 in the other, see which one gets filled first… if you expect 💩 to turn into 💎, you’re in for a lot of disappointment.