Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y, no blind spot warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I absolutely think this needs improvement. I have gone into the lane on multiple occasions. I look over my shoulder and see nothing but there is a car there. Granted I am very careful now to look at the display first, but it would be much better and safer if there were an audible warning.

What would be really cool is if the the car would automatically adjust the side mirrors to be in proper location based on the seat distance from the wheel. It should just be a matter of calculating the correct angle. If it could do that, then the blind spot warning is just seeing the car in the mirror.

This is why you want the Mach e to survive. Tesla went cheap on bsm and cross traffic. Car play too. Mach e has all standard like most other $20k cars. Tesla is simply taking profits by not installing these crucial features because they don’t have to. There’s nobody pushing them. Now the Mach will hopefully push them a bit but I’m skeptical as it’s still a few years off from being a viable competitor

Every car I’ve ever owned had a good blind spot warning system. It’s called setting up your mirrors correctly. Too many people are interested in what the side of their car looks like rather than using their mirrors to remove the blind spots.

If you can get used to one pedal driving in a week, you can also get used to a proper mirror setup in a week
I've been driving both professionally and for pleasure for almost 50 years now and never had a vehicle with a warning system. I drove tractor trailers cross country and didn't even have a rear view mirror and yet somehow I managed... LOL. As you stated, it all comes down to setting up your side view mirrors properly.

Every car I’ve ever owned had a good blind spot warning system. It’s called setting up your mirrors correctly. Too many people are interested in what the side of their car looks like rather than using their mirrors to remove the blind spots.

If you can get used to one pedal driving in a week, you can also get used to a proper mirror setup in a week
lmaoo exactly. i dont understand what these people are talking about. P

Is abs unimportant? Air bags ? Power windows ? Door locks ? You could also get by without them, maybe ..

It’s ridiculous to not have basic safety features on a luxury automobile. The only reason this has happened is because there is no competition.. and a few hard headed people who see no value in adding safety features.

Is abs unimportant? Air bags ? Power windows ? Door locks ? You could also get by without them, maybe ..

It’s ridiculous to not have basic safety features on a luxury automobile. The only reason this has happened is because there is no competition.. and a few hard headed people who see no value in adding safety features.
Right?? You dont need ABS, learn how to threshold brake. You dont need yaw control, learn how to counter-steer/drive. They're ignoring the point of the OP. Its a basic safety feature that only helps. Another driver aid to help prevent accidents.

Right?? You dont need ABS, learn how to threshold brake. You dont need yaw control, learn how to counter-steer/drive. They're ignoring the point of the OP. Its a basic safety feature that only helps. Another driver aid to help prevent accidents.

I guess I don't understand the point. Most blind spot warning systems (and what I think people are complaining about here) have some type of blinking red light that shows up in the side mirrors. If you aren't seeing the car in your side mirror, I doubt a blinking light is going to make much of a difference.

I shudder to think that some people rely solely on those blinking lights as opposed to actually having their mirrors set up correctly.

If you attempt to turn into someone sitting in the blindspot, the vehicle will warn you (and nudge you back) once you get too close. You will also see it on the display. I personally would like a chime when I turn the blinker on if someone is there, but that isn't how it's designed. So yes, there is blind spot detection, it just doesn't work like most other manufacturer systems.

That’s nice that it works for you, I currently own 2 Tesla’s and never has that worked for me on any of them and believe me I’ve come close to hitting someone many times and the only thing that prevented me from hitting them was turning my head over to look. Even in your blind spot you don’t see it on your screen.

Fred

Reactions: Dennisis
That’s nice that it works for you, I currently own 2 Tesla’s and never has that worked for me on any of them and believe me I’ve come close to hitting someone many times and the only thing that prevented me from hitting them was turning my head over to look. Even in your blind spot you don’t see it on your screen.

Fred
You hit the nail on the head Fred. Turn your damn head when making a turn or changing lanes. I mean, that's driver ed 101 and you needed to do that to pass your road test.

I guess I don't understand the point. Most blind spot warning systems (and what I think people are complaining about here) have some type of blinking red light that shows up in the side mirrors. If you aren't seeing the car in your side mirror, I doubt a blinking light is going to make much of a difference.

I shudder to think that some people rely solely on those blinking lights as opposed to actually having their mirrors set up correctly.
Have u driven a vehicle with bsm or cross traffic ? It makes things much safer and yes it will flash a light and audible beep. It prevents a lot of crashes and it’s insane we’re having a conversation about its usefulness. Tesla is simply taking profits by not putting this on, your helping Elon get richer and I’m not sure why ?

Have u driven a vehicle with bsm or cross traffic ? It makes things much safer and yes it will flash a light and audible beep. It prevents a lot of crashes and it’s insane we’re having a conversation about its usefulness. Tesla is simply taking profits by not putting this on, your helping Elon get richer and I’m not sure why ?

Yes, I've driven cars with BSM and cross traffic. As I've said, I don't find them particularly useful as they are simply redundant for what my eyes are already telling me.

I've also driven race cars while wearing a HANS device, which effectively prevents over-the-shoulder looks into a "blind spot". When put in that type of situation, most people learn to actually set up their mirrors correctly to eliminate that blind spot. I honestly can't remember the last time I looked over-the-shoulder to see if a car was in a "blind spot" but it has to be several years ago.

Do BSM systems help others? Absolutely. The simple fact is that the VAST bulk of people have their mirrors set up incorrectly and their side mirrors are simply providing the same coverage that their rear view mirror provides. The general reason they have it set up that way is that they were taught to do that. Further compounding the mistake, they were then taught as part of "drivers ed 101" to look over their shoulder to ensure that nothing is in that "blind spot." For those people, BSM is certainly better than nothing. I'd argue though that having Tesla actually set the side mirrors correctly based on seat position would also be very beneficial. It could possibly be more beneficial as that knowledge would transfer over to other cars. Also, should some sensor break on the car, having the mirrors set up correctly will always work.

Now, my big concern with BSM in the Tesla is that I consistently noticed a difference between what the display showed on the screen about whether a car was near my left or right rear corner and what I saw in the mirrors. A passing car would seem to be very close to me in the mirrors, and I'd see nothing on the screen, and then as there was a bit of overlap, the car would suddenly just appear on the screen. It didn't smoothly enter the screen from the bottom as I would have expected. The reason that is a concern is that if I was relying on an FSD car to make an automatic lane change, I don't know when it would consider it safe to make the change. I.e., how far away does that car need to be and what is the closing speed difference before it considers it safe?

BSM is an extra convenience, not the safety system that you solely rely on. Having such a convenience ease the driving comfort by quite a lot. If you see that your BSM flashes yellow/orange indicating that something is in your blind spot, you don't even need to look through your shoulder. If it doesn't flash yellow/orange, yes you can look over your shoulder. Also, having the mirrors in correct position will help with most situation. But, not having BSM is a blunder by Tesla as it takes away some part of an otherwise extremely fun driving experience.

Reactions: frankvb
By not having a BSM you are forced to drive the way you were hopefully taught. Systems can fail and the flashing yellow and red light might not be working and you change lanes right into a vehicle in your blind spot.
Absolutely, you should not rely on these systems for primary detection, but use it as a backup / secondary safety system if you somehow miss the car in your blind spot even when doing everything right (looking over your shoulder and/or setting up the mirrors properly).

Also, as socal_my writes, it is useful if you can glance in your mirror and see if there's someone close to you immediately.