Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao, why reply stating your OPINIONS then wrap it up with my points are undetectable?

Real leather, carbon fibre & alcantara vs vinyl and plastic wood. UNDEBATABLE.
No incessant unfixable squeaks vs incessant unfixable squeaks (well documented). UNDEBATABLE.
Burmester 13 speaker sound system vs Tesla OEM audio. UNDEBATABLE.
Apple Carplay, Android Auto & Satellite radio vs none of the above. UNDEBATABLE.

Fit & finish is only subjective to those that don't understand the term.

Before responding with condescension, I suggest education.

BenzvsModelY.jpg

Last edited:
No incessant unfixable squeaks vs incessant unfixable squeaks (well documented). UNDEBATABLE.
Apple Carplay, Android Auto & Satellite radio vs none of the above. UNDEBATABLE.

Punctuating generalized statements that can't possibly be reflective of every Mercedes with a capitalized word cutting off debate strikes me as extremely condescending and pretty off-putting.

(slight thread derail, feel free to move if a better subforum or thread)
Having said that, I did rent a 2019 300GLC with around 35k miles this past week and its a nice vehicle. Contrary to your statements, there was no alcantara, leather or carbon fiber in sight. It did have a few odd noises I couldn't pin down but none were obnoxious and only manifested on really crappy roads, also being a rental I'm guessing they're not holding Mercedes feet to the fire to address. The stock stereo was completely awful at any speed above 10 mph, it did not have Apple carplay that I could tell (plugging into USB asked me to download some mercedes app, which I did not), and the cabin was just as loud as my 2022 MYP. The engine was okay in terms of pep and ability to get up to speed / pass, and generally scoot around but its no Tesla. Requiring premium fuel octane and returning 26mpg on nearly equal highway / local roads, the cost per mile was a solid "meh".

Is it a nicer cabin than the MYP? Yes but also no. The controls and dash are very busy, the lack of Carplay was a disappointment, the stereo is poor, the various menus and submenus were horribly confusing, unintuitive , and incomplete. The interior is generally no quieter than the Tesla. I also had a really hard time finding the goldilocks seat settings despite spending 10 mins a few mornings trying to dial it in. The climate control was also super weird and kept fogging up in the morning, requiring me to put defrost on high for several minutes even when it was 65f out, making the cabin uncomfortably warm.

Where it excelled is the ride, and a 300 GLC at $50k, closer to 60k when you load it up and fix some of the deficiencies in the base model (sunroof, driver assist features, vented seats, Burmeister sound) is a fairly reasonable value if you're shopping in that price tier. Last I looked (before getting a VIN on the MYP), they were really hard to find however, not sure if they've fixed their supply chain issues.

Would I pick it over the Tesla just for the interior? Not me, I was ready to move to BEV, Would I consider an equivalent BEV from Mercedes or another luxury brand in the future? Sure, but they seem to be aiming for the next price tier up. The MYP, while well within my financial means, was already uncomfortably expensive and felt like a total splurge.

I wish I could take the Audi interior and swap with the Tesla interior.
But I really don't care about interior or luxury things. I want tri-motor MYP with ventilated seats!

Audi makes nice interiors...I can't stand Mercedes interiors...yuck. BMW interiors are nice except the gauge cluster which is just plain weird. I prefer the minimalist interiors now but everyone has a preference. I agree that the only thing I truly miss from my luxury cars are ventilated seats...ironically my Kia has better cooled seats than my friend's BMW and my past Lexus. I use Carplay in my EV6 and the Tesla software is vastly better.

I'll be ordering a Tri-motor Model 3 hopefully someday :D

Reactions: nate704
Audi makes nice interiors...I can't stand Mercedes interiors...yuck. BMW interiors are nice except the gauge cluster which is just plain weird. I prefer the minimalist interiors now but everyone has a preference. I agree that the only thing I truly miss from my luxury cars are ventilated seats...ironically my Kia has better cooled seats than my friend's BMW and my past Lexus. I use Carplay in my EV6 and the Tesla software is vastly better.

I'll be ordering a Tri-motor Model 3 hopefully someday :D
Ventilated seats are the interior feature that until someone has in a vehicle, don't really get what they're missing.

Reactions: nate704
Ventilated seats are the interior feature that until someone has in a vehicle, don't really get what they're missing.
I said the same thing till I bought a new ICE SUV that had ventilated seat - I thought it was no big deal - I was so wrong! Driving in the Texas summer heat (any state or area that gets super hot) at 108+ degrees and have black seats - they will be on your wish list.

Ventilated seats are the bomb in hot weather - no sweaty, sticky back or buns, add in all windows tinted (included the windshield ceramic tinted and a glass roof cover/shade) - makes a HUGE difference in comfort.

Last edited:
The answer is yes. It’s hell overpriced, so I bit the bullet and paid cash $70k OTD, including tax and fees to avoid BS Mark Ups!
Only reason I bought coz wife wants the 7seater regardless the space constraint, we have 4 kids but 2 are still petite. We also have a minivan. I would opt out buying a MY and direct my interest to EV6 if you are fitted for 5 seater configuration.

View attachment 870604

I would take the MY interior all day long except for the ventilated seats. I value front windshield visibility and openness. I don’t want to feel like I’m in a cockpit.

I would take the MY interior all day long except for the ventilated seats. I value front windshield visibility and openness. I don’t want to feel like I’m in a cockpit.
I get preferring a minimalist style, different strokes and all that, but it should be reflected in the cost and value provided.

Tesla's whole philosophy is minimalism and it goes way beyond just interiors, right down to cutting $200 ultrasonic sensors on $50-60k+ vehicles.

View attachment 870604

This picture captures quite nicely how much better the Tesla interior is compared to any other car I've ever seen including that eyesore above it. I don't want all that *sugar*. I want sleek and minimalist. This isn't 1999, I don't want to see big ugly vents, a bunch of ugly physical buttons, cheesy yellow contrast stripes. That car interior looks like hot garbage.

I place no value on "all natural leather" vs synthetic materials.

The 2021 MYP has the best OEM car audio I've heard (comparing to 100k BMW / Mercedes / Jeep / Ford truck.) Not perfect and I tend to install custom aftermarket audio, but this is the first vehicle I've ever owned where the OEM was good enough that it is not worth the time and trouble to put in aftermarket.

I used Apple Carplay in other vehicles and do like it, but it is cartoonish and doesn't make sense in a modern vehicle with a digital touchscreen / voice controlled interface like Tesla. I do wish Tesla would integrate Apple Music and some other Apple Carplay tech, but I definitely don't expect a 3rd party software interface to overlay the native interface and not look stupid and behave poorly.

My MYP has no odd noises or panel issues or whatever. Maybe I got lucky? IDK.

The MYP is not perfect but it is the best <100k vehicle I've ever ridden in or driven when factoring in comfort, acceleration, interior design.

Finally - your subjective opinions are fine but they aren't facts. And pretty much everything is debatable, including this sentence.

I get preferring a minimalist style, different strokes and all that, but it should be reflected in the cost and value provided.

Tesla's whole philosophy is minimalism and it goes way beyond just interiors, right down to cutting $200 ultrasonic sensors on $50-60k+ vehicles.

100% agree. I wish Tesla wouldn’t do that… I drove every EV out there before buying my MYP. Most of them I rented for multiple days. I tried to convince myself that many of them were superior in terms of the driving experience because I didn’t want a Tesla. None of them came close for me. Money was not a factor. until there is real competition for this type of experience, they will continue the $queeze.

So I am new to this game. I test drove a Model Y last year and placed an order. As the wait progressed I looked at all the other vehicles a lot. My hatred of Elon almost got me to cancel the order and consider an Ioniq as I do like the exterior looks of it more.

Now I have the Model Y and I must say while I still would have preferred a more traditional SUV/CUV shape. It wins on storage and simplicity. I really like just getting it in the car and go. Just walking away and it locks. I like not having to turn on things like wipers and lights.

I agree ventilated seats would be nice and the one real complaint I had was the sun bothering me through the sunroof. I got one of those retractable sun shade 3rd party products and I am happy. The only other nuisance factors is I would like Tesla to include:
Motorized Frunk and kick to open Trunk
Ventilated Seats
Under front bumper camera with optional display in the rear view mirror

Reactions: Zalick
Punctuating generalized statements that can't possibly be reflective of every Mercedes with a capitalized word cutting off debate strikes me as extremely condescending and pretty off-putting.

(slight thread derail, feel free to move if a better subforum or thread)
Having said that, I did rent a 2019 300GLC with around 35k miles this past week and its a nice vehicle. Contrary to your statements, there was no alcantara, leather or carbon fiber in sight. It did have a few odd noises I couldn't pin down but none were obnoxious and only manifested on really crappy roads, also being a rental I'm guessing they're not holding Mercedes feet to the fire to address. The stock stereo was completely awful at any speed above 10 mph, it did not have Apple carplay that I could tell (plugging into USB asked me to download some mercedes app, which I did not), and the cabin was just as loud as my 2022 MYP. The engine was okay in terms of pep and ability to get up to speed / pass, and generally scoot around but its no Tesla. Requiring premium fuel octane and returning 26mpg on nearly equal highway / local roads, the cost per mile was a solid "meh".

Is it a nicer cabin than the MYP? Yes but also no. The controls and dash are very busy, the lack of Carplay was a disappointment, the stereo is poor, the various menus and submenus were horribly confusing, unintuitive , and incomplete. The interior is generally no quieter than the Tesla. I also had a really hard time finding the goldilocks seat settings despite spending 10 mins a few mornings trying to dial it in. The climate control was also super weird and kept fogging up in the morning, requiring me to put defrost on high for several minutes even when it was 65f out, making the cabin uncomfortably warm.

Where it excelled is the ride, and a 300 GLC at $50k, closer to 60k when you load it up and fix some of the deficiencies in the base model (sunroof, driver assist features, vented seats, Burmeister sound) is a fairly reasonable value if you're shopping in that price tier. Last I looked (before getting a VIN on the MYP), they were really hard to find however, not sure if they've fixed their supply chain issues.

Would I pick it over the Tesla just for the interior? Not me, I was ready to move to BEV, Would I consider an equivalent BEV from Mercedes or another luxury brand in the future? Sure, but they seem to be aiming for the next price tier up. The MYP, while well within my financial means, was already uncomfortably expensive and felt like a total splurge.
Sweet Lord. Try paying attention.
The OG post was comparing the AMG version & my post was in response to a post that was condescending so I replied in kind.
Everything that you typed is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

The last part.... lmao yea concur. Dude is posting to read his own posts and no one elses.

This picture captures quite nicely how much better the Tesla interior is compared to any other car I've ever seen including that eyesore above it. I don't want all that *sugar*. I want sleek and minimalist. This isn't 1999, I don't want to see big ugly vents, a bunch of ugly physical buttons, cheesy yellow contrast stripes. That car interior looks like hot garbage.

I place no value on "all natural leather" vs synthetic materials.

The 2021 MYP has the best OEM car audio I've heard (comparing to 100k BMW / Mercedes / Jeep / Ford truck.) Not perfect and I tend to install custom aftermarket audio, but this is the first vehicle I've ever owned where the OEM was good enough that it is not worth the time and trouble to put in aftermarket.

I used Apple Carplay in other vehicles and do like it, but it is cartoonish and doesn't make sense in a modern vehicle with a digital touchscreen / voice controlled interface like Tesla. I do wish Tesla would integrate Apple Music and some other Apple Carplay tech, but I definitely don't expect a 3rd party software interface to overlay the native interface and not look stupid and behave poorly.

My MYP has no odd noises or panel issues or whatever. Maybe I got lucky? IDK.

The MYP is not perfect but it is the best <100k vehicle I've ever ridden in or driven when factoring in comfort, acceleration, interior design.

Finally - your subjective opinions are fine but they aren't facts. And pretty much everything is debatable, including this sentence.
Just because 'you' don't value leather over vinyl doesn't make it less valuable or a lesser material.
Leather is better than vinyl. It's a fact. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Audio engineers like Burmeister that ONLY deal with the highest end vehicles - Bugatti for example - do a better job than any mass market manufacturer. You really think Tesla or any other manufacturer can do better? No. They can't. Burmester is better. Fact.

The fact that Carplay, Android Auto or even satellite radio isn't offered by Tesla makes it a fact that the Benz offering is better by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.