Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y or Mustang Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if you don't favor Tesla for the Tesla mission, the Tesla really still comes out on top because there is no long range charging network for anything but Tesla. Unless Ford gives it a 2000 mile range, it can't compete because of that limitation. They would need to engage in a massive public travel charging program or buy into Tesla's supercharging technology and network.

Some?!? Bill Ford says the company used a fresh approach in developing this car. I don’t think there’s anything fresh about copying a competitor’s successful model. They took the Model Y, added a few flourishes and voila! A fresh new model! Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely pleased Ford is finally getting into the game and I realize from a marketing standpoint they have to make outlandish claims but it’s clear who they’re copying.

Reactions: waterbrain
I'm interested in both Model Y and the Mach-E.

Not going to pay ADM for the Mach-E even though I like the dual-screen setup better. Model Y's single screen is too plain, but perhaps one gets used to it?

I haven’t had any problem getting used to the single screen in my 3. While I understand people’s concerns, I believe it really is a non-issue.

I like the look and features of the Mustang, but have two big concerns: First, based on batteries, motors and range, it doesn’t seem as efficient, and second, one of the big things for which the Tesla cars stand out is the absolutely phenomenal integration between the hardware (the car) and the operating software for the car, which only gets better and more feature-laden with each update.

I think that the Mach-E is well executed design and will go a long way to converting many ICE fans to an EV. Kudos to the Ford design team and taking the risk with the Mustang brand.

That said, I have a Model 3 and an order for a Model Y and plan to be totally ICE free when it arrives (Trading in a Mercedes GLC). I would not do that without the superior Tesla infrastructure and technology envelope.

Model Y because Mach-E is not made in the USA......

....and the fact that you have to buy the Ford from a dealer. Tesla has spoiled me with their buying process and I’m very “out of practice “ in terms of negotiating with dealers and getting shaken-down with add-ons, fees, etc.

Mach-E will be successful nonetheless and I’m very glad they decided to move-forward with it.

Reactions: preilly44
One of the biggest selling points for me when I chose to purchase a model 3 was AutoPilot. When it is improved and fully approved, I plan to upgrade to fully autonomous driving. Unless I've missed something, the Mach E has neither. Maybe they have adaptive cruise control. My 2013 Prius had that. I see no mention of AutoPilot or Fully Self Driving. If those are features you want, there is still only one option. Even if Ford chose to get into the game today, Tesla has billions of miles of experience and learning head start. Go ahead, pick your winner.

Recently tried to buy a Kia Telluride, had 10K in markup in the quote, obviously walked away but people get pulled in...

Dealerships are all the same. If this is low volume, they will do what they do best. Don't forget the $200 floor mats.
The same thing happened to my sister-in-law in Phoenix. They had a printout showing a Kia Telluride S for $299/month lease. The dealers told them it was over $500/month since they were selling like hot cakes. I worry Ford will do the same since they're only bringing around 20,000 to the U.S. in its first year.

We already chose Tesla.

What part of the USA do you live in? Do you plan on taking road trips in your EV? Tesla's Supercharger network allows you to drive nearly anyplace in the continental United States. Electrify America's fast DC charging network (which Ford teamed up with) still has a ways to go to cover the continental US. It also costs more and isn't directly integrated into the car's navigation.
Plenty of dead areas in the Midwest for Tesla owners. Nothing in the UP of Michigan or Northern Wisconsin.

We already chose Tesla.

What part of the USA do you live in? Do you plan on taking road trips in your EV? Tesla's Supercharger network allows you to drive nearly anyplace in the continental United States. Electrify America's fast DC charging network (which Ford teamed up with) still has a ways to go to cover the continental US. It also costs more and isn't directly integrated into the car's navigation.----

Sorry that is not true. Ford has direct integration of nationwide charging stations.

• Funny
CORE CAR:
If the Tesla Model 3 is built to spec (i.e, no bolts and steps skipped to make a quarterly earnings report), then the core of the car will be MUCH better than what Ford or even Porsche will build. I am talking the engine, the integration of the core components such as battery, air circulation, the computers and software integration, etc.. Also, the battery life, efficiency of the car, and battery range are way in Tesla's favor here compared to other mass market manufacturers. The Tesla Model 3/Model Y core will be improved in future years, but the core of the car is already well ahead of any other mass market manufacturer from what I see and will be for a while.-------You are going to get a 1000 replies elsewhere questioning these statements.

: Tesla Model Y. If the Tesla Model Y is built properly, ---model 3 and others are known for quality control issues as seen in this website-panels not lined up correctly, paint quality issues, rusting behind the drivers door.

Ford will have some fancy and appealing features, but they don't build and own all of the parts and they don't fully write the software themselves. ---the true is Team Edison--part of Ford-did write all the software, Ford did build all their hardware. LG is the battery supplier.,

Don't expect Ford to exceed your expectations after launch though even if they do try to do software updates. Don't expect too much more than you get in the show models.----you are basing this on....? No solid documentation to state what you did.

No. Ford sent a reply to the dealers on this, Will sell at list price.
Ha! I'll believe that when I see it. What Ford actually told them was to not advertise BELOW MSRP. Ford can't dictate to the independent dealers the price they charge. They can require them not to "Advertise" above or below MSRP, but they cannot control what they actually sell them for. In this case, they are asking dealers to not advertise low. I haven't seen anything about markups. There will be a limited number of Mach E's available... at least in the first runs. I will be surprised if those limited edition cars didn't get a hefty markup.

Last edited:
I will be surprised if those limited edition cars didn't get a hefty markup---When you have close contact with the dealership, the new car sales manager and owner are not stating this to this potential owner as such markups would send the wrong message to the public.

Quality is hardly job #1 at Ford from my experience. I had an Explorer Sport, which had numerous issues, along with several recalls and some problems that should never have happened. I'm not going to say that Tesla has been perfect in their vehicles, but I've not had a problem with mine that can't be resolved with a software update (and good luck with ANY Ford updates from personal experience). Hell, the Ford dealership I went to couldn't even install winter tires without forgetting to tighten the lug nuts.

One thing to note about Ford: the manufacturer might be willing to sell you a vehicle, but I would go into a dealership and listen to them. The reason I say this is that many dealerships will do everything in their power to NOT sell you an EV. When I looked at what the local Ford dealership had to offer, they used one as a shuttle, but absolutely dissuaded me from buying one. They suggested the hybrid (which in turn has more maintenance). That is going to be a very telling story if/when manufacturers actually put the proper effort forward to building and selling EVs. The dealership model is dead - they know it and that's why they're hell bent on trying to block any Tesla storefronts and sales from certain states.

I say this is that many dealerships will do everything in their power to NOT sell you an EV. When I looked at what the local Ford dealership had to offer, they used one as a shuttle, but absolutely dissuaded me from buying one.---------

Ford never had a EV before*. The Focus Electric was actually a third party based designed out of Canada.

Ford used a complete electric drive train developed and supplied by Magna International,
Ford had an electric Ranger before 1998-2002 using lead acid batteries and all were recalled as was the famous GM EV1 vehicles.

For me, the factors are range, technology and charging infrastructure.

Range - Tesla has the edge and Ford efficiency hasn't been proven like the Model 3 (upon which the Y is based)

Technology - this is where Tesla has a HUGE lead in my opinion. OTA updates, continuous innovation, battery management to name a few. Ford will have to invest of ton of money and energy to get anywhere near Tesla. That rotary volume knob at the bottom of the screen encapsulates for me where Ford is right now - with one leg stuck back in the legacy auto world. Some will like it, for sure but it represents thinking that doesn't want to let go with the past and EVs should be forward-thinking.

Charging - Electrify America/Canada and others are working hard bring their network of charging solutions and Ford is promising some as well, but Tesla has an established (and growing) solution that is proven, uber-simple and integrated into the car's navigation in a way that will minimize range anxiety like no other current solution out there.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Range - Tesla has the edge and Ford efficiency hasn't been proven like the Model 3 (upon which the Y is based)---except the Ford PR photos are providing evidence that Ford Mach-E will exceed the Model 3 range.
mach e 3.6 mles per kwh.jpg