Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Perf or BMW X3M?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Wife a Model Y performance last year. We like it so much we sold my X4 M40i for our second Model Y Performance, picking up tomorrow.

The X3MComp and X4MComp were very tempting, but to me not worth it compared to the Model Y.
lol that's great, his and her Model Y performance cars.

I only had to watch and follow a few people on Youtube and see the comparisons to learn if buying a new vehicle 40K+ USD, EV is the only way to go. Otherwise buy used now if you need something and wait 2-5 years to buy the EV that fits your needs. The instant torque, ease of driving, autopilot on the freeway is all so much more advanced.

Reactions: DAJ8895
I owned a 2012 X5 diesel then a 2018 Audi SQ5 (similar to the X3 M40i, not the X3M) and switched to the MY this past September. Now that I have ~4,500 miles on it, I am extremely happy I made the switch. I don’t think you’ll regret it at all.

The MY has 5 cubic feet of more storage space (with back seats folded down), 68 vs 63 (SQ5). However, the rear hatch is sloped on the Y so there is a little less vertical space. I do motorcycle track days and one concern I had was if the Y had enough storage space to lug all my track gear and I’m happy to say it has more than enough.

As for other posters’ comments about service quality from BMW, etc., I have to say, my experiences from owning MB, BMW, and Audi were average. Nothing was exemplary, all was just a standard service transaction...well, except for the BMW where the car wash guy kept stealing all of my quarters out of the car (I leave about $3-5 in the car for parking meters). Had to bring it up with the service manager 2x and both times he just gave me a roll of $10 in quarters.
The Audi dealership that I used to have my S3 services at had the same problem. The manager gave me a roll of quarters too. Funny.

Reactions: Koolio46
Alright, you convinced me - blue MYP has been ordered and I already have a VIN! I should pick it up next week.

I'm blaming ALL of you if I don't like it!!! j/k ;)
From my experience, I think that's a smart move and you'll dig it. If not, you can always go back to slow $80K maintenance machines next time! Best wishes to you with it. Now to get that level 2 charger installed...

Reactions: z335is
Another thing to think about is that if you choose to purchase another ICE vehicle, it will probably be your last. All major manufacturers will be switching their fleet over to EV's in the next few years. Owning an EV saves a lot of money in the long run. You pay more upfront but the cost to keep it on the road is ridiculously less expensive than an ICE vehicle. Go on a road trip and fill up with gas two hours later and it's about $45. In a Tesla at a Supercharger its closer to $11 and usually about $8. No engine maintenance, no oil, transmission, etc. With fuel prices rising it only becomes more economical and to be brutally honest, I've never had range anxiety. There are so many Superchargers that it just isn't an issue. We own a model X and S and have two Tesla chargers in the garage. We're already saving for the new redesigns and probably will buy those in 2023 or so. Borrow someone's and drive it for a while. It will sell you.

Reactions: DAJ8895
I wonder what the responses would be if this were the BMW Club and the thread started with a Tesla owner giving up his M for a BMW M...
The panel gaps, poor interior, fake leather, I rather have the singing tune of an exhaust, M Motorsport heritage, German quality, range anxiety, boring design, faulty auto pilot, no CarPlay, Elon Musk overpriced stocks, failed rocket.

It is interesting how BMW, Porsche and Tesla owners are similar and loyal to their brand. The end of ICE cars is really going to change things. The amount of people that defect to another brand will really depend on the strength of the products. I think Tesla is well positioned but China (Volvo) and its brands are in the background. I think American brands and Pick up trucks are going to get hit hard. I hope Rivian makes it but we will see.

IMHO, the only advantage a BMW has over a Model Y is eye candy.
I would have said this a month ago, but now I don't know. I've had my MYP about a week. I've been stopped probably two dozen times asking about it. Yesterday I was at a funeral (yes, a funeral) and I had about 10 people (mostly non-immediate family) ask me about it there. I don't think any of our BMWs or Mercedes have ever generated that level of interest. A lot of it was curiosity about electric in general - does it have enough range for my normal use, how do I charge, etc.

Reactions: z335is
The panel gaps, poor interior, fake leather, I rather have the singing tune of an exhaust, M Motorsport heritage, German quality, range anxiety, boring design, faulty auto pilot, no CarPlay, Elon Musk overpriced stocks, failed rocket.
BMWs also can have fake leather. And CarPlay was a paid option for a while.
We have had 4 bmws in our family.
I have found that desirable features need very expensive option packages.
everyone will have their own opinion

BMWs also can have fake leather. And CarPlay was a paid option for a while.
We have had 4 bmws in our family.
I have found that desirable features need very expensive option packages.
everyone will have their own opinion
Their until recent fake leather 'Sensatec' was terrible, in my near $70k X5 I had it and to looked pretty fake as well as the seat shape being not as nice, clearly a way to force you into the 'upgrade' of real leather. Newer models are OK, my partner's X2 has it and is pretty authentic looking/feels premium.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
It is interesting how BMW, Porsche and Tesla owners are similar and loyal to their brand. The end of ICE cars is really going to change things. The amount of people that defect to another brand will really depend on the strength of the products. I think Tesla is well positioned but China (Volvo) and its brands are in the background. I think American brands and Pick up trucks are going to get hit hard. I hope Rivian makes it but we will see.
Agreed, I think a large part of the premium brands USP is the driving experience/emotion which comes from the ICE. Over the last 10 years or so as everything has moved to Turbo charging the noise and theatre has been diminished, so much so that many have piped in fake engine noise to compensate. This in my opinion lowers their appeal and the brand loyalty then falls more to prestige than driving excitement.
EVs bring the ultimate in a 'luxury' driving experience in that there is no noise, gear changes, gas smell and smoothness. This doesn't leave so much to compete over - technology? Style of the interior? Definitely going to be interesting as all brands fight to differentiate and not become commoditized (which ultimately is Tesla's ambition).

Reactions: skiwhmts
I’m late to the party here. Congratulations on your decision. My comment echos one earlier. I was a serial bmw owner as well. 5x. Think about it this way, a year or two from now as the other manufacturers continue to switch over to ev’s, you won’t regret going with the EV now.

I would have said this a month ago, but now I don't know. I've had my MYP about a week. I've been stopped probably two dozen times asking about it. Yesterday I was at a funeral (yes, a funeral) and I had about 10 people (mostly non-immediate family) ask me about it there. I don't think any of our BMWs or Mercedes have ever generated that level of interest. A lot of it was curiosity about electric in general - does it have enough range for my normal use, how do I charge, etc.

Ah, it’s a beauty inside.....