Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My commute is practically all highway, usually drive around 75-80 mph. I am averaging around 320 wh/mi. Seems a little excessive.
I have AWD LR with 20 in wheels.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_5793.PNG
    IMG_5793.PNG
    279.3 KB · Views: 407
I assume the MY range with 19" wheels will be similar to the M3P with 20 wheels...

According to the range tables on Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

The M3P on 20" wheels goes 231 miles at 80 MPH (324 WH/Mile).

According to the same site, driving slower makes a big difference:
70 MPH = 274 miles (273 WH/mile)
60 MPH = 325 miles (221 WH/mile)

Given the high speed you are driving, your comsumption seems about right to me.

So far i have driven 330 miles used 87 kWh with 264 Wh/mi. I calculated, that's about 284 mi range with at 100% battery. Not bad with 20 in wheels. I do a mixture of highway and local driving at around 65 to 75 mph on the highway. So far only turn on the AC once since weather been very nice here.

My observation is that city is more efficient that freeway. I have a MY LR AWD with 20" induction wheels and I'm averaging about 280 wH/mi after the first 490 miles. City I'm seeing like 250ish wH/mi and I'm on max max regen braking. Highway around 310-320.

I assume the MY range with 19" wheels will be similar to the M3P with 20 wheels...

According to the range tables on Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

The M3P on 20" wheels goes 231 miles at 80 MPH (324 WH/Mile).

According to the same site, driving slower makes a big difference:
70 MPH = 274 miles (273 WH/mile)
60 MPH = 325 miles (221 WH/mile)

Given the high speed you are driving, your comsumption seems about right to me.

The above seems right.

Drove PMY on 255/40R20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus on 20x8.5 M3 Sportwheels (53 lb wheel/tire weight).

I also had several 75 mile, one way trip and return the same route - average 320 wh/mile.

95% freeway 70-78 mph on 60-70F dry SoCal weather. No passenger. No cargo. Fan set to 1 at Lo. AC/Heat off.

Looking into getting Martian Wheels MW03 19" or 20" x 8.5 @ 19/20 lbs weight. These lighter wheels (with 245 tires) may lower wh/mi at same 70-80 mph freeway driving.

Tesla Model Y 19

20200426_101723.jpg

It won’t. Wheel and tire weight doesn’t measurably effect power consumption while driving at a constant speed. Any differences that you see on the highway will be due do wheel/tire aero or tire compound.

Even with changing tire from 255 to 245, and 10 lbs less weight per wheel (29 lbs to 19 lbs) ?

That has to amount to some improvement in consumption.

If what you say is true, then I will keep my set up then later change the tires (when worn) with better compound for range.

Even with changing tire from 255 to 245, and 10 lbs less weight per wheel (29 lbs to 19 lbs) ?

That has to amount to some improvement in consumption.

If what you say is true, then I will keep my set up then later change the tires (when worn) with better compound for range.
The 10mm narrower tires will have a minuscule improvement, assuming the same type of tire. Lighter wheels and tires will not increase range for highway trips. It will help very slightly for around town, whenever you’re accelerating or decelerating. The Martian Wheels MW03 could easily reduce range during highway trips due to crappy aero. Open faced wheels are not good for aero efficiency.

If you want longer highway range, get wheels with good aerodynamics and put LRR tires on them.

Just an observation after driving my EV for a year...driving over 70 seems to suck my range more often than anything else. Terrain, high winds and elevation not notwithstanding, when I drive at 70 mph or under on flat level IH-35 say from Austin to Dallas, I often get 250 Kw/mile sometimes better. Increase speed to 75 or 80 and/or move to a single lane state highway and efficiency decreases to 325+ Kw/Mile.

So on long drives on interstate highways keeping the speed to 70 I often exceed the trip planner range prediction by 10% or better. On the other hand it is tricky to make it the 220+ miles from my home west of Austin to the Sweetwater, Tx supercharger despite the fact that my MS has a rated range of 335 miles. It is uphill all the way and mostly on winding two lane highways and I usually arrive with 6% range or less from a 100% start. I generally receive multiple slow down or turn-around and charge warnings from my car but it has always made it.

One thing I find interesting is, while wh/m is interesting, especially for trip planning, I also think we need to factor in phantom drain, sentry mode usage, etc... whats the total energy cost per mile + time... Just by looking at how much charge (kw) I have put in my car the last 485 miles, I am at about 430 wh/m which is crazy high I think. Granted again that is total energy consumption over miles driven but also factoring in time as well as the car was in my garage or somewhere else for about a month. But in TeslaFi it says I am at about 300 wh/m for just driving, which seems about right for driving.

• Informative
Reactions: rmeden
One thing I find interesting is, while wh/m is interesting, especially for trip planning, I also think we need to factor in phantom drain, sentry mode usage, etc... whats the total energy cost per mile + time... Just by looking at how much charge (kw) I have put in my car the last 485 miles, I am at about 430 wh/m which is crazy high I think. Granted again that is total energy consumption over miles driven but also factoring in time as well as the car was in my garage or somewhere else for about a month. But in TeslaFi it says I am at about 300 wh/m for just driving, which seems about right for driving.
now that is an interesting post.

Man, that IS crazy high.. In the last month (427 miles driven) I have "only" lost just over 13 miles to drains not associated with driving. Something doesn't sound right here...

We have about 1,072 miles total so far and are at 272 Wh/mi. Driving at 95% efficiency, currently.

I use Stats to track stuff. It accounts for a 15% loss for charging (actually using more kWh then indicated on the car, etc...)

Good Luck!

SS

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilot1226