Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear camera worse than Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully this thread doesn't spiral out of control but it's seeming to me that the Model Y's rear camera quality is worse than on our 2016 Model X and even vs. my original 2012 MS. Do the higher-end cars have different cameras vs. the 3/Y?

I'll try to do a side-by-side at some point to see if I can be more quantitative with this claim so until then consider this just a request for info.

Sort of "meh" for me. It will probably be better than my previous cars, no matter the resolution the Y displays. My last 3 vehicles have had backup cameras with slightly increasing quality. Yet, I'm of the age where I cannot resist physically looking behind me anytime I am in reverse. More times than not, I don't look at the screen at all. When I do remember, I look at it only momentarily as I shift into reverse just in case there's a kid or an animal near the bumper. Even then, I turn my head and body around as I move the car backwards. Just habit after 10+ cars and nearly 50 years of driving.

Reactions: mgraff and house9
With the sloping roof, the view out the back is pretty bad. It's right up there with my '18 Camaro. Luckily the car has enough sensors to hopefully keep you from hitting something that's not easily visible.

I was concerned about that. The model S looks like a porthole to me. I was hoping the view would be similar to the M3.

We have one pic of the rear view mirror on the MY, but it looks like the camera was not where the driver's eyes would be (too close to the mirror). I'm not worried about parking, rather situational awareness when driving.

A pic of the rear view mirror from where the driver's eyes would be would be much appreciated. Even better would be the same shot from a M3.

Thanks for all of the great insight the early owners on this site are providing!

Hopefully that helps. It's a really short trapezoid view out the back.
IMG_6586.jpg

The S/X backup camera is Amazingly Clear... The 3 (and now Y it looks) sucks.

And don't anyone try to say it's good. Fine, maybe it's "okay" but when you've seen better it's just... okay.

Cue the fanboyz who love their cameras lol.

Thanks! So the mirror is half filled with the window frame and only half of the mirror shows the view out the back, right?

For the M3 owners out there, how does this compare?

I would say that's fair. I do remember the rear visibility in the 3 when I test drove it being pretty limited as well.

The S/X backup camera is Amazingly Clear... The 3 (and now Y it looks) sucks.

And don't anyone try to say it's good. Fine, maybe it's "okay" but when you've seen better it's just... okay.

Cue the fanboyz who love their cameras lol.

Compared to the surround view cameras on my BMW, it's a fair bit worse. Feels like 1080p vs 720p. However the screen is large enough that it does help.

Rear view out of our 2021 MY is frightening for situational awareness on a highway. You simply cannot see cars rapidly approaching if you want to pull out of a lane. Larger side mirrors might help. Also, the rear view camera is nearly always clouded with water when it rains, making it worse than useless for backing into a garage, in addition to the difficulty with the mirrors rear view. It is better to open the driver door and look back, if you can.