Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Falls Off on drive home from collection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
I got downvoted on Reddit for saying that I wish there were better photos and videos of it. No idea if that's the cult of Tesla trying to silence me, or people thinking I'm saying it didn't happen.

Pretty incredible though.

One of the reasons I delayed buying a Tesla was because of the extreme Tesla fanboi nutters, TBH. I really didn't want to be become a member of some bizarre cult, where Tesla can do no wrong.

I'm not at all sure where this comes from either. We all know that the cars, and the company, are flawed, in some areas quite badly when compared to other car manufacturers.

It's a bit reminiscent of the way Apple fanatics behaved, ignoring all the many shortcomings in the product they worshipped and coming down heavily on anyone that dared point out any flaws (and I currently own an iPhone, Windows PC, Linux PC and a Macbook Air, so am probably fairly well-balanced, I hope. . . ).

One of the reasons I delayed buying a Tesla was because of the extreme Tesla fanboi nutters, TBH. I really didn't want to be become a member of some bizarre cult, where Tesla can do no wrong.

I'm not at all sure where this comes from either. We all know that the cars, and the company, are flawed, in some areas quite badly when compared to other car manufacturers.

It's a bit reminiscent of the way Apple fanatics behaved, ignoring all the many shortcomings in the product they worshipped and coming down heavily on anyone that dared point out any flaws (and I currently own an iPhone, Windows PC, Linux PC and a Macbook Air, so am probably fairly well-balanced, I hope. . . ).

And in other news, my M3 went to Yorkshire in the pouring rain, was parked outside overnight and my taillights did NOT fog up! Additional away game news anon :)

Attachments

• PXL_20201004_093544350.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201004_093544350.MP.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20201004_093531508.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201004_093531508.MP.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 55
Nice. One of mine fogged up in the rain we've recently had, after clearing up previously. Due to be replaced next week. You only had the one replaced, didn't you?

Tail lights are originals.

Only one phantom brake on the trip, too.

Appropriate small animal sacrifices in appeasement worked (ate salmon, duck and chicken at the excellent Stone House Hotel in Hawes)

Rolec vintage coin op charger gave 7kwh. Hotel charged £8 for two nights and one morning top-up.

PXL_20201002_180302116.MP.jpg PXL_20201002_190713040.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUDoc

I think this absolutely. There are similarities between the way Tesla owners and apple fanbois take with such fervour, sucha lack of critical thought about the products. It's as if people don't realise these 2 products are sold by giant tech firms no different to a Samsung or a daewoo. Not sure why these two companies get anthropomorphised (if that's a word) as if they were something that cared about anything other than profit.

Although you don't have a chromebook so not sure you're completely unbiased :D:D:D

I’m not quite sure whether to be angry or bemused by your assertion that just because I bought a Tesla I am a fanboi nutter.

You’re falling into the trap of assuming that just because you’re obviously quite intelligent, you assume everyone else is stupid.

Give the “fanbois” some credit. It may well be simply that they value different things to you.

DOI: I have a Tesla and a ****ton of apple products. And I’m glad I do, they serve my purposes well and both companies have values I identify with.

Well said. There are plenty of people who will tolerate no criticism of Tesla or its products, however well deserved. Can’t believe you got three “disagrees” for talking sense.

I’m not quite sure whether to be angry or bemused by your assertion that just because I bought a Tesla I am a fanboi nutter.

You’re falling into the trap of assuming that just because you’re obviously quite intelligent, you assume everyone else is stupid.

Give the “fanbois” some credit. It may well be simply that they value different things to you.

DOI: I have a Tesla and a ****ton of apple products. And I’m glad I do, they serve my purposes well and both companies have values I identify with.

But do you also recognise that Tesla (and Apple) products are also sometimes deeply flawed? Crap wipers, crap headlights, panel gaps, poor paintwork etc etc etc, and a lot of what Elon says is pure BS.

I also have a Tesla and several Apple products. They serve my purpose but I realise that they (especially my M3) are far from perfect.

Of course I do! The facts are undeniable and I have posted many a gripe on this forum.
I also know that despite that there are more important things about their products and also I can contextualise it (for the time being) due to their inexperience.
But your suggestion that I will defend Tesla despite all that (and I do) because I’m a mindless fanboi is a gross oversimplification of the phenomenon.

Also, regarding your comment about the “disagrees”. Why would you not believe you got disagrees? “Talking sense” is your opinion, clearly other people don’t share the same view. That’s all it is, don’t be aggrieved by it :)

Oh, and just for clarity: a roof falling off mid drive??? Seriously? That’s a new low, even by Tesla’s “standards”.

That's not what I wrote, or intended to imply. Thankfully, the UK and Ireland section of this forum seems relatively free from those who believe that Elon Musk is the next Messiah, and that Tesla can do no wrong.

The same is definitely not true of some other Tesla forums, particularly the Tesla sub-Reddits. Like many, I suspect, I read a lot about Tesla, by way of research. I knew the Model 3 fitted my requirements, but equally, so did the VW ID.3. I placed a deposit for an ID.3 early in 2019, and was fairly committed to buying one, until the reveal at Frankfurt. It was my disappointment with the interior of the ID.3, together with rumours that delivery was going to be later than predicted, that made me switch to buying a Model 3.

Clearly not every Tesla owner, most probably not even a significant proportion of Tesla owners, is one of the hard-line Tesla fanatics. That's no different to Apple fans, the most vocal are just a small minority. It is a fact, though, that the most vocal fans of both Tesla and Apple products are extremely active in many areas of the internet, so their extreme views tend to dominate some discussion groups, and that does shape the way both brands are viewed, as far as new customers are concerned.

The Tesla Model 3 is no different to many other cars, in that it has some poor features, some good features, some outstandingly good features, but also has some clear build quality and initial customer service issues.

As for the remarks about intelligence and stupidity, I'm afraid I just don't see the relevance. Anyone that buys a Tesla has to have done well enough in life to be able to afford a car that's significantly more expensive than most (a base Model 3 is more than double the price of the average new car in the UK). Clearly, few, if any, Tesla owners are likely to be stupid. The same logic applies to fans of Apple products. They are also priced above their competitors, by around the same amount. You can buy a Windows laptop with the same sort of performance and dimensions as a Macbook for less than half the price.

As an example of the irrational way some refuse to allow fair criticism of Tesla, look at the downvotes those images of the Model Y with the missing roof got. Clearly some in that Tesla community wanted to suppress what looks to be evidence of a significant quality failing. No matter how big a supporter of a company anyone may be, refusing to accept there can be problems, and trying to dissuade someone from going public about those problems, is not in anyone's best interest, including Tesla's.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: cwerdna and Neilio
Something about this story does not add up, For that to happen, the roof would have to totally miss the urethane process. Like totally miss it from the factory. (automated by robots, so highly unlikely)

The pressure of the robot pushing the glass onto the roof without the urethane would have split the glass, even if it survived that I reckon it would have spit during transport.

And, it would have leaked like a damn waterfall from rainfall or a carwash.

I have seen glass not bond correctly due to contamination on the glass, but only in a small section, typically gets highlighted from a leak into the car. (Tesla do not make the glass)

I would say this is likely fake news.