Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range battery LFP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHAT? So you are saying 20% is converted to heat in the single motor?

If you have the same batts and the same speed and only one motor either the one motor generates more power or you get less deceleration, so you can regen LONGER with a single motor and eventually recoup the same battery power, yes?

Felt the same to me. Granted I daily drive a MYSR.. and only had MYP overnight. That said I drove the MYP for about 100 miles and regen felt pretty much exactly like my car. Same deal for a 2022 Model X Plaid I rented for a long weekend and drove 660 miles. Regen felt the same.

I was honestly a bit disappointed it was even more aggressive.

All of the reporting indicates that it is, I guess because of the lower max charge rate of 170 kW vs 250 kW for the 2170 and 4680 batteries. They have also been selling this car in Canada since earlier this year.
SR(+) M3 and MY with 2170 cells were limited as well. So it’s not just LFP. I think it is Tesla handicapping the cheaper cars just like the onboard charger at 32A vs 48A. They don’t want cheaper cars to charge faster. Then they would be more efficient for driving longer distances.

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan and vickh
SR(+) M3 and MY with 2170 cells were limited as well. So it’s not just LFP. I think it is Tesla handicapping the cheaper cars just like the onboard charger at 32A vs 48A. They don’t want cheaper cars to charge faster. Then they would be more efficient for driving longer distances.

Curious if my SR '19 M3 will the same SC speed(peak and curve) as my SR MY?

Battery Warranty? (more charge cycles makes me a bit worried)

I've read in several places that the LFP battery maxes out at around 170kW, while the non-LFP maxes out around 250kW. Not sure which battery your SR would have but being smaller it probably maxes out lower than the 250kW.

I've read in several places that the LFP battery maxes out at around 170kW, while the non-LFP maxes out around 250kW. Not sure which battery your SR would have but being smaller it probably maxes out lower than the 250kW.
Depends if the SR MY is a 2023 or a 2021. 2021 had the exact same battery and motor as the SR+ M3 so it is the same. The 2023 SR MY should have the exact same battery and motor as the 2023 SR M3 so would be the same as that if it is LFP.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I just looked at Tesla's website. It says the MY RWD has a max charging rate of 170kW, the same as a new M3 RWD. I don't recall seeing this info on there before but it's nice that they have it. LR M3 and MY both max out at 250 kW, as does the Performance version.

Thank you for pointing this out. I had the exact same thought process as to why the SR+ M3/MY were limited to 170kw.. and 32A home charging.

I think it is a technical limitation rather than a marketing one. If they wanted to restrict capability to higher priced vehicles, they wouldn't keep the charge curve so high on the LFP Model 3. It is a bit of a hidden gem, tbh.

I have the 4680 Y (now a unicorn, apparently). I just want 100-110kW up to 50% SoC. I don't care about 250, because I know I have a smaller pack. Maybe when the superchargers are opened up, they'll tweak it so they can open up stalls for revenue-generators.
The 4680 pack is probably the worst charging pack Tesla has ever made, except maybe the original roadster. I don't think it's going to improve much.

Reactions: jsight
Yes and very newest long range model 3s are also LFP.
This would suggest Tesla has shut down gigafactory Reno because all they make are 2170 cells and MY and M3share battery packs so if LR are all LFP imported from China, the no more cars need 2170. Also, unlike the 2170 SR pack, the LFP SR pack likely takes up the same amount of space as the LR 2170 pack so there isn’t room for a LR LFP pack due to lower energy densities.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh