Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the reason to NOT have the LR RWD right now is that tesla wants folks who want more range to still buy the AWD: higher profit margins. Depends on where one lives, many really don’t need AWD. But I am scratching my head a little bit with this logic also: bc SR RWD is probably less profit margin than LR RWD. Tesla probably did some number crunching and saw this as the most profitable option (releasing SR RWD before LR RWD)
Very simple. The decision to build RWD SR is to push more cars. Offering a 40K model Y will get Tesla to reach 800K+ deliveries in 2021. Happy as a TSLA shareholder, sad as wanting a Model Y RWD LR

I think it's simple : there is a battery shortage, and these cells are shared between the 3, the Y, and probably Powerwalls. So they need to sell the most cars with least battery cells, hence the standard range Y. If they had tons of battery then you'd see the LR RWD Model Y.

Yup.

RWD LR Y is the same number of cells needed, so no extra cars can be made, but less revenue and margin than AWD LR Y, so no reason for it to exist.

RWD SR Y uses less cells=can build more total cars=more total revenue

I agree with @iamnid. I think this is simply to compete on price with Mach-E and ID.4 since they’ve been getting lots of great reviews right now and have roughly the same range as the SR Y. I think this is Tesla’s ploy to steal the attention away from those cars. For those who were considering those alternatives and are price sensitive and/or don’t need longer range, I think lots will see the Y as a viable option for them now.

attractive price

Very attractive... I've been debating about getting another Tesla myself, and been eyeing the Standard 3. The new price and 3rd row option is persuading me on another Y. Already bought a Y that my wife commutes with, and we use on the weekend. Don't think it make sense to own two Y's... Wish they come out with an option for me to install the 3rd row seat.

I agree with @iamnid. I think this is simply to compete on price with Mach-E and ID.4 since they’ve been getting lots of great reviews right now and have roughly the same range as the SR Y. I think this is Tesla’s ploy to steal the attention away from those cars. For those who were considering those alternatives and are price sensitive and/or don’t need longer range, I think lots will see the Y as a viable option for them now.

It only competes with sticker price. VW and Ford can claim $7500 federal tax credit. A $40k ID.4 becomes $29k after $7500 federal, $1500 CA rebate and $2000 CVRP. Add in 3 free year of Electric America fast DC charging and there is no way Tesla can compete price wise.

It only competes with sticker price. VW and Ford can claim $7500 federal tax credit. A $40k ID.4 becomes $29k after $7500 federal, $1500 CA rebate and $2000 CVRP. Add in 3 free year of Electric America fast DC charging and there is no way Tesla can compete price wise.
Yea, I agree but the price margin to own the MY has now been reduced by $8k. Also, it would now qualify for some state tax credits that are price capped like here in WA at $45k. Who knows, maybe congress will expand the federal tax credit further in the next year and it’ll be even more competitive.

Reactions: GSP
Thought Elon said that he was going to scratch the standard RWD because the mileage will be too low... Instead release a LR RWD version.

Perhaps he said that only to keep the competition on its toes. Now they suddenly have to compete against a car that costs even less.

Another possibility is that he wants to use LFP batteries, like in the Made-in-China Model 3 SR+. Because of their larger size they cannot be used in a long-range Model Y.

For your viewing pleasure
847F938B-D4FE-4CD6-9E8B-AE54957D2FE3.jpeg
34AD21C1-0630-4A56-ABFA-6872D4CE5023.jpeg
7EAD4905-1C70-4957-B787-ED1148540B73.jpeg
0D5B80CE-EDC2-446D-8D10-32706378A776.jpeg

@mlong5905 Where are those pics from? Didn't see them on Tesla site last night. Interesting they don't show the legroom. It looks like the second row is adjustable so it's probably better than shown in the 'one' pic that has been floating around forever.

Edit: Just watched the video.

Last edited:

Wow! Nice. So with the VW I can take $7500 that I will get back on my tax return and apply it towards the cost of the VW. That’s an awesome deal.

Reactions: cdswm3

Careful when comparing VW and Tesla. Quite a few VW add-ons are already in the Tesla base configuration. A VW ID.x can be cheaper by several thousand $, but then it will not be equally well equipped.

But you cant beat the Government giving you back $7500 cash money to apply to the price of the Car.

That's not quite how the fed credit works though.

You get -up to- $7500 of the amount of tax you owe the government offset, the following year, when you file your taxes.

You don't get an upfront $7500 off the purchase.

(and if you have less than $7500 in fed tax liability you get less than $7500)