Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y suggest limit 80% but my 3 is 90%. Wazzup??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
I’ve always set my Tesla’s to 90% daily limit. Both have about 50k miles. 2020 MY and 2021 M3P. I noticed today the Y says suggested limit is 80%. What’s up with that? It’s always said 90% in the past.

IMG_0475.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: El joe
The OP is free to re post the first picture if the car name is cropped out, as the car name is not relevant to the question being asked, and also contains a banned word here.

======================
On the thread topic, I noticed the same thing for my 2018 model 3P and my wifes model YP. I dont currently set either of them to that charge percentage normally (I have them in general set to 60 / 70%) but I did think it was interesting that Tesla now has that recommendation in the app.

Thanks for the heads up moderator. :)

Here’s the edited photo. You all can see the 80% recommendation. Never seen that before.

FWIW I’m on 2023.7.20. Just upgraded to it last night. Perhaps that’s when it started but can’t say for sure.

IMG_0464.jpeg

Different versions of the Tesla software; Release 2023.26.7 and later displays 80% charge limit recommended for daily use if you set the charge limit higher than 80%. The bracketed daily charge range shows 50% to 80%, previously showed 50% to 90%. Currently on 2023.26.8 with the 80% daily use charge limit noted.

Reactions: IronCoffee_Max
The above I think is the right answer. My wife's M3 and my M3 both said 90% for awhile. Then she got 2023.26.x and it changed to 80. Mine has FSD beta so still said 90. Then it upgraded to 2023.26 as well and now says 80%. We both just use 90% because we do a lot of driving.

Reactions: phantasms
Different versions of the Tesla software; Release 2023.26.7 and later displays 80% charge limit recommended for daily use if you set the charge limit higher than 80%. The bracketed daily charge range shows 50% to 80%, previously showed 50% to 90%. Currently on 2023.26.8 with the 80% daily use charge limit noted.
I want to know why they changed this. Was 90% affecting the fleet negatively?

Reactions: phantasms
Tesla is changing the recommendation for maximum daily charging to 80% from 90%.
Neither of these will keep the degradation at the minimum, so neither is “optimum SOC for longevity”.

Most probably a small adjustment as range is longer these days, 80% should be enough for most people’s daily drives.
If not just go by travel (80-100% as needed).

"notable Tesla hacker has done some digging and found a controversial new addition in the company’s latest electric vehicle software update.

When looking at the 2023.38 code, the hacker, known as Green, found that Tesla intends to add a fee when people continue charging beyond 80% at busy Supercharger sites."

As I said. The true reason they now "suggest" limiting your charging to 80%. As usual with Elon, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the health of your battery, and everything to do with squeezing more revenue out of us.

Link to the whole article:

As I said. The true reason they now "suggest" limiting your charging to 80%. As usual with Elon, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the health of your battery, and everything to do with squeezing more revenue out of us.

Any fees for charging above 80% are only to solve congestion, not to generate revenue. Suggestions otherwise are silly... the revenue will be a drop in the bucket. They could just raise Supercharger prices by a penny and make *WAY* more money from it.