Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The looks. So many people are into the big wheels/thin tires these days.
I don't get it. Every wheel/tire choice is some sort of compromise in the end when driving on the street. My MY is a street car, not a race car. If I am exceeding the pretty high limits of the stock tires on the street, I am likely driving way too fast for the street.

On the skidpad the MYP was .94g and the MYLR .88. The MYLR specs are right in line with the BMW 330xi for lateral acceleration which has been a benchmark car in its class for a long time. If you move up to the M3, it crushes both the MYP and MYLR with over a 1g. If was tracking the car all the time (not the ideal car for that and the M3P would be better anyway), I'd get a dedicated set of wheels/tires for the track.

I am not going to notice much of a difference in the lateral acceleration capability on most roads between the LR and P. Those big heavy wheels sure look cool on the P for most people. Too many tradeoffs for me in every area; heavy, worse ride quality, easier to curb, easier to get pinch flats, fewer tire choices, terrible in cold weathe,r and more expensive tire choices to name a few. If you live where the weather ever gets below 50F, you'll need another set of tires at a minimum. I get what Tesla was trying to do with the MYP, they definitely could have executed better on the wheel/tire combo.

Tesla was trying to do with the MYP, they definitely could have executed better on the wheel/tire combo.
Yes, more thought could've been given to the wheel/tire choices, such as:

-Making 18" wheels accessible to Model Y, which do fit and work fine with 235/55R18

-Offering 18, 19, and 20 sizes to all models, regardless of trim selected

-Not *forcing* the silly, heavy iron 21" wheels on the P models. There's a reason why the for-sale section is full of people offering to trade 21" wheelsets for FREE for 19" and 20".

-Partnering up with a lighter wheel mfgr. Even if the upgrade was for just the P model, it would give such a huge price advantage for just this option alone.

Reactions: SharpKnife

Yes, more thought could've been given to the wheel/tire choices, such as:

-Making 18" wheels accessible to Model Y, which do fit and work fine with 235/55R18

-Offering 18, 19, and 20 sizes to all models, regardless of trim selected

-Not *forcing* the silly, heavy iron 21" wheels on the P models. There's a reason why the for-sale section is full of people offering to trade 21" wheelsets for FREE for 19" and 20".

-Partnering up with a lighter wheel mfgr. Even if the upgrade was for just the P model, it would give such a huge price advantage for just this option alone.
I don't disagree with any of the above. But. ALL OF THE ABOVE slows down production, adds cost, etc. Tesla has more important things to think about...like rocketships...

Reactions: Deutsch100
If you wait until your OE 19" Conti's need replacement, 18" tires are cheaper than 19"s. You can use your existing tpms. You'd be paying to mount and balance anyway. You're much less likely to get curb rash. Your wheels are lighter. Your range is farther. Your car is faster. You can easily sell your Gemini. I'm not seeing a downside.
Wouldn't a smaller tire size affect the speedometer reading? Am I missing something here?

The tire size is more to adjust the estimated range other than the 21's. I think the overall diameter is the same for the 19's and 20's. When I looked at going 18", there were a lot of tire options I could have gone with to keep the overall diameter the same and not throw off the speedo.

Unplugged Performance in Hawthorne has a set for sale, but they've been OUT OF STOCK for about a year with no indication when they might be back available. Welcome to supply chain problems.

Don't hold your breath. I ordered a set back in Nov. 2020 and still haven't received them, and they are no longer listed on UPP's website. I emailed UPP early in the week and haven't received a reply (emailed Max directly). The only options are lowering springs through UPP or Eibach. No offense, but I don't understand the obsession with lowering...to each their own. Maybe I'm just old, but is there seriously not a market for stock-height (or higher) springs that simply have a better ride?

Do some searching in the MPP or Ohlins arena. Keep in mind: the springs don't hold the car up, the dampers/struts do. Softening the springs isn't going to help the harshness of the ride, because they're not causing it.

UPP knows this, and they just might be quietly avoiding the discussion by keeping their "mild springs" off the market. That's my opinion, of course.

• Disagree
Reactions: RichBrowne
This whole big wheel thing started when higher performance versions of street cars began fitting larger diameter wheels to fit in larger diameter brakes.
This big wheel look began to signify a more expensive AMG or M versions of Mercedes and BMW (among others).
They also had lowered suspensions to enhance handling and lower profile tires to fit inside the wheel wells (Plus system)
Owners liked that higher performance look and began modifying their street cars to the more expensive look.
While these larger wheels and low profile tires have a great look, they also add cost, weight, rougher ride and are more vulnerable to damage.
Lowering the cars also gives the big $ look with smaller fender gaps, but at the cost of worse ride, scraping over speed bumps or steep driveways. Handling usually gets worse due to less compliant suspensions on anything rougher than a race track.
Aftermarket suppliers are getting rich by supplying this desire to look racy.

I stand corrected. You're correct that the springs hold the car up.

However, changing only the springs to correct for an overly stiff strut/shock won't soften the ride.
The damper (shock or strut) has a huge impact on the ride. The spring and damper are interdependent - then, add the ridiculous oversized rims...geez. These are street cars that some buyers think are racey. You want to race - then strip out the entire suspension. You want cushy, use an air suspension with magnetic adjustable shocks. Just plan on spending some cash (or test drive an X). The Y is a nice balanced car that is pretty quick at a reasonable price point.

Last edited: