Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tire rotation schedule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no harm in rotating tires more often, I do mind every 5K which makes it easy to remember, 5K, 10K, 15K, etc. Discount Tire does mine for free and they also do them as recommended by tire manufactures. Tesla mobile can only do a front to back rotation.
This is true. With tire rotation the mileage recommendations help create a routine and also ensure the tires are wearing evenly. Taking measurements of the tread depth is certainly not for everyone.

I choose to measure them and then schedule a mobile service if needed. This way I'm minimizing wasted time and money. For many it may be easier to work on a mileage schedule which is fine too.

Upvote 0
Rotating costs $50 each. If you rotate 3x time mobile service, seems like it would cost you roughly 10-15% of a new set. Do you save 10% tread life by rotating?
I get my rotated for free at Discount Tire. And failing to rotate tires shortens tire life, worse, if one tire wears out early - very common if they are not rotated - you need to replace all four.

Upvote 0
I get my rotated for free at Discount Tire. And failing to rotate tires shortens tire life, worse, if one tire wears out early - very common if they are not rotated - you need to replace all four.
I also get mine rotated free at Discount Tire. I love them. They do free air checks, free rotation, and free rotate and balance if you buy from them. They also sometimes come in higher than other places, but they always match or beat other quotes on tires. They're all I use for our (many) vehicles' tire needs.

Upvote 0
Why all four? I always thought replacing two was acceptable.

The cost is one thing but there is also the time. I prefer to check the tread depth with my wire gauge and schedule when it's needed. I usually check once a month.

I have a couple of these for both our cars. Slime Tread Depth Tire Gauge 1/32″ To 1″- 20177 Robot or human?

Upvote 0
Why all four? I always thought replacing two was acceptable.

When you replace only two then you can no longer do a proper cross rotation, which is what tire manufactures recommend. As to time, if you make an appointment at Discount Tire you are in an out in one-hour. Nothing wrong with what you are doing, but doing regular rotations, as specified by tire manufacturers, maximizes tire life.

Upvote 0
When you replace only two then you can no longer do a proper cross rotation, which is what tire manufactures recommend. As to time, if you make an appointment at Discount Tire you are in an out in one-hour. Nothing wrong with what you are doing, but doing regular rotations, as specified by tire manufacturers, maximizes tire life.
I see, I know Tesla does front to back. Here is the official guidance from Tesla. It looks like 6250 or 2/32nds whichever comes first. I typically go longer and wait for a full 1/32nds but that's not officially correct per Tesla.

It's interesting because Tesla says regardless of wear to replace tires every 6 years. Info taken from the TM3 owners manual.

Tire Rotation Tesla:
Tesla recommends rotating the tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first.

Replacing tires early:
If tires need to be replaced early, for example due to a flat tire, we recommend replacing the tires in pairs unless the other tires are within 2/32 in (1.5 mm) of tread depth of the new tire. When replacing tires, it is important to match the brand and model of the older tires. Always place a pair of new tires on the rear if all four tires are the same size.

Upvote 0
This thread reminds me of the old ICE topic of "how often should I change my oil." Each to his own - whether right or wrong - I change my oil every 2500 miles on the Rav4 Hybrid - because of such infrequent local use by my wife (she won't drive the Y.)
Well, 2500 is wrong - you could stretch that to 10k easily. Time doesn't matter, warm it up once a month to burn off the condensation and forget about it. It's a Toyota, not a 1988 Chevy Cavalier.

Upvote 0