Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you - was wondering why I couldn’t find anywhere to put petrol in … 😂
B5AD1D16-7F9E-4CDF-8D50-6EF0CBFD1432.jpeg

And didn’t have to run it in ….. 👌🏻😂👍🏻❤️

Can anyone recommend a good tyre inflator to have in reserve?
Any Ring one if you're happy to plug it in, something like the RAC635. I wouldn't bother with anything that has the gunk option to fill the tyre with foam.

I've also got a battery one, can't see the specific one anymore, but on amazon the "VEEAPE Hand Held Pump" looks the nearest with good reviews. It makes life a lot more convenient, especially if you have other things that would benefit like a wheelbarrow tyre that keeps going down in the shed. Downside is the battery can run out if you need to use it a lot in one go, not that I've ever had the problem.

Why is it in the shape of a drill?! Do you have to hold the trigger while it’s inflating?

No idea why it’s a drill shape other than it’s quite practical to use :) and I don’t think the trigger has to be held, if I recall rightly it’s one press and it inflates until it reaches the desired target then stops automatically. I’ve found it a decent piece of kit. The cordless element is much more convenient than the inflator it replaced, which involved the faff of having to plug it into a 12V socket in the car.

No idea why it’s a drill shape other than it’s quite practical to use :) and I don’t think the trigger has to be held, if I recall rightly it’s one press and it inflates until it reaches the desired target then stops automatically. I’ve found it a decent piece of kit. The cordless element is much more convenient than the inflator it replaced, which involved the faff of having to plug it into a 12V socket in the car.
Yeah I definitely would go back to a corded one now, so much less faff!

I'm pretty sure WOT (Wide open throttle), from my youth, would be lost on today's EV-driving youths ...

At the pinch-point, at end of quarter, sites that shift plenty of cars (I expect Bluewater is one of them - they had 250 new cars there when I collected, and that was just the underground car park deck) will be moving 200+ cars a day. That's 2.5 minutes a car ... I think the aim is not to clog up the "Here's your keys" :) process, and allow reporting a bit later (and run the risk that some paint damage on the way home has to be solved under should-have-done-PDI
Understood. So, straight home and out with magnifying glass. Only 24 miles from Bluewater so some mileage slack left for a spin before reporting back within the seven day/100 mile window of op'y.
Yeah I definitely would go back to a corded one now, so much less faff!
Foot pumps work well!

• Funny
Reactions: teaston
My youth included WOR.....Wide Open Reins...
Tack!

Actually, I found the cig-lighter plug on electric pumps rather fragile. Also, Halfords did not stock replacement fuses for any the pumps they sell.
So, I have a plug electric saved for slow puncture situations and a foot pump for topping up.

But what to do in the event of a repairable puncture particularly when touring on he mainland? Call the nice relay Monsieur/Mein Herr/ Signore? Carry some sort of aerosol gunge- our tyres are sound insulated are they not?
Or carry a spare and jack etc., which I have done since "The day of the runflat puncture".

When not going on hols or to the tip or collecting "She who must be obeyed" from shoe shopping, there is so much available space in an SUV. Even in my X3.

Or carry a spare and jack

I think the old scissor-jack out of a long since traded-in car isn't going to lift 2T safely, and unlikely to be able to use a safe jacking point either ...

So my assumptions, when I've carried a spare wheel, is that AA/similar will fit it for me, but that that will avoid me having to get towed somewhere to then wait for Amazon Prime to get them a suitable tyre.

When this topic comes up in America they all seem happy to carry (and be prepared to fit) a "plug", I've not heard of people in the UK doing that, but maybe they do?

I think the old scissor-jack out of a long since traded-in car isn't going to lift 2T safely, and unlikely to be able to use a safe jacking point either ...

So my assumptions, when I've carried a spare wheel, is that AA/similar will fit it for me, but that that will avoid me having to get towed somewhere to then wait for Amazon Prime to get them a suitable tyre.

When this topic comes up in America they all seem happy to carry (and be prepared to fit) a "plug", I've not heard of people in the UK doing that, but maybe they do?

Valid point on jack strength.
I purchased the spare wheel, tire, jack and wheelbrace combination in a newt carry bag, three years ago. It is certainly rated for my X3. Care will have to be taken with the Y weight. I like the idea of carrying the spare and calling the road services. The eventual tire service can then repair the Y wheel and swop it back. Yes, the way to go; why risk dirty trousers or a cardiac arrest when the Y drops off the jack.

The plugs are widely used in France and possibly elsewhere but scorned by British Tyre firms and road services who want to sell new tires (for safety sake). We had a slow puncture in France three years ago. Managed to get to quite large "proper job" tire firm who happy plugged the puncture and had us on our way in 15 minutes. That tyre seems to lose less air that the other three.

you're only lifting 2T if the whole car is in the air, an old scissor jack would still be serviceable if in good condition. I carry a plug kit and a spare wheel.

Reactions: WannabeOwner