Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question to people who have recently received their cars - are the rear windows now double glazed? I generally can find everything I need via the search (hence this being my first comment), but I can't seem to find details of this anywhere.
Geek interjection:

Double glazing is what you have in your house - 2 or 3 panes separated by a 10-16mm cavity, usually filled with Argon gas. These are primarily for insulation but also work really well to mitigate noise.

Car windscreens are always laminated - minimum 2 layers of glass with a ‘rubbery’ interlayer/glue (PvB). This is a global UN spec and is designed to stop e.g. a brick dropped from a bridge coming through. Total thickness usually around 6mm.

Side and rear windows were usually single layer toughened safety glass (shatter in small ‘safe’ pieces). This also allows smash and escape. It seems that Tesla are using laminated glass (2 layers stuck together with an inter layer) on side and rear windows. The inter layer may/may not be the same as the front so you may still be able to smash and escape (not sure if that is a requirement). Interlayers allow them to add all sorts of things: strength/security; UV filters; IR (heat radiation )filters & reflectors; heating elements; and will dampen a little noise. Not saying they do all of that, just that they can.

Model Y​

Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
6,369 mile odometer
Midlands just popped up on the Tesla used site DEMO
£61,785
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 19’’ Gemini Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • 30-Day Premium Connectivity Trial

Model Y​

Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
6,369 mile odometer
Midlands just popped up on the Tesla used site DEMO
£61,785
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 19’’ Gemini Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • 30-Day Premium Connectivity Trial
I saw this earlier. I noticed it was listed in the 'new' section, however does anyone know how the tax man would classify it for a LTD company purchase? I assume it would technically be a used purchase and therefore not qualify for the full 100% capital allowance?

I guess it depends if you're attached to principles, paying above brand-new price for an ex-demo with 6k miles is hard to swallow.. but I guess that's the premium for getting it immediately...
It’s not above brand new price.

Brand new, that vehicle is £65,890 at today’s price. I suspect you might have omitted to take FSD into account…

Reactions: Toblerone
I saw this earlier. I noticed it was listed in the 'new' section, however does anyone know how the tax man would classify it for a LTD company purchase? I assume it would technically be a used purchase and therefore not qualify for the full 100% capital allowance?
I believe HMRC regs require “unused” and so “ex-demo” won’t qualify.

I think they are: CA23153 - Plant and Machinery Allowance (PMA): First Year Allowance (FYA): expenditure on cars with low carbon dioxide emissions - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK. I toyed with the idea of an ex-demo before and had to double check

1656419522478.png

• Informative
Reactions: Utumno
It’s not above brand new price.

Brand new, that vehicle is £65,890 at today’s price. I suspect you might have omitted to take FSD into account…
Should've said brand new price based on my March order so with £3k less..
And we can all agree that to this day FSD is an useless extra on our shores, I could go as far as EAP...

Tesla is just forcing a sale by including it in all their inventory models...

Should've said brand new price based on my March order so with £3k less..
And we can all agree that to this day FSD is an useless extra on our shores, I could go as far as EAP...

Tesla is just forcing a sale by including it in all their inventory models...
I’m no expert but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for ex-demo cars to come with FSD given the whole point of a demonstrator 😀 It’s usefulness is indeed limited.

And before you say it, I do agree that whacking FSD onto “proper” trade-in/used vehicles smacks of sharp practice … it’s just that in this case the FSD probably was factory fit and so it’s inclusion doesn’t seem that unreasonable.

If you were in the market for an EAP vehicle anyway, then the price seems reasonable with the added potential future benefit of FSD. Totally get that for many their price ceiling is quite rightly what they have on their order ticket!

Reactions: swozniak
I’m no expert but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for ex-demo cars to come with FSD given the whole point of a demonstrator 😀 It’s usefulness is indeed limited.

And before you say it, I do agree that whacking FSD onto “proper” trade-in/used vehicles smacks of sharp practice … it’s just that in this case the FSD probably was factory fit and so it’s inclusion doesn’t seem that unreasonable.

If you were in the market for an EAP vehicle anyway, then the price seems reasonable with the added potential future benefit of FSD. Totally get that for many their price ceiling is quite rightly what they have on their order ticket!
Well, demo cars are also speed limited to 84mph, do you want to put up with that if purchasing one? :D

Joke aside, I get the point, but as it's purely software, it would be extremely easy for them to remove FSD when putting an ex-demo on sale. If a buyer really does want it, they can always purchase it in two clicks afterwards, hence my 'forced sale' stance.
This would be of course different if there was any factory fitted hardware, but we know this isn't the case, so this comes up to me as a 'bundled sale', a somewhat questionable practice...

• Informative
Reactions: ArunG and Utumno
Thats me picked up this morning. Apparently they guy said there were about 15 pickups today and 30 for delivery. Had first slot of the day and there were about 3 other people picking up at the same time.

Pretty wet day so yet to fully inspect but I did notice internally that there seems to be a weird line on the steering wheel - right bang in the middle above the 'T' - it looks likes the leather(?) was folded at somepoint. Also seen a scratch mark on the driver side fabric pillar, sort of noticeable when you know, but otherwise blends in with the fabric.

Also, if you are about to pick up/accept delivery of a blue car from Glasgow, I would have a very good look at the rear bumper! Saw an employee in the distance (the Glasgow centre is on a hill overlooking the car park area) reverse it straight into a light post in the middle of the car park - it wobbled quite a bit at the top! Don't know if its heading out to a customer or what, but he had the hazards on to check before moving the car. It wasn't parked with the collection load anyways.

Have to say having issues connecting to wifi, will need to try again later...

Reactions: Toblerone
Whil everyone is excited about picking up and also the rest of us moving up the queue, i am getting this christmas feeling, the one when we found some stock for sale of high school musical for the wii, cabbage patch dolls,
Well, demo cars are also speed limited to 84mph, do you want to put up with that if purchasing one? :D

Joke aside, I get the point, but as it's purely software, it would be extremely easy for them to remove FSD when putting an ex-demo on sale. If a buyer really does want it, they can always purchase it in two clicks afterwards, hence my 'forced sale' stance.
This would be of course different if there was any factory fitted hardware, but we know this isn't the case, so this comes up to me as a 'bundled sale', a somewhat questionable practice...
Theres a Black one now listed under New with 5k miles also with FSD