Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly Tesla Cambridge have booked me in for a test drive at the end of Feb. Not sure if they’re anticipating more cars at this point or rotating the Trafford/Thorpe park cars…
This is rather helpful; I ordered a MY LR with 20s. Very eager to do a test drive before accepting delivery, but they are severely oversubscribed and don't have enough cars in the country to match demand and interest at the point.

The February date corresponds with a text message from Tesla indicating increased capacity in terms of test drives.

Any ideas on how many MYs will be shipped to the UK this year?

So I managed to arrange a last minute test drive at 7.30pm last night and I currently have a White MYLR on 19's on order. I currently drive a current model Audi Q7 with air suspension, like others I was worried about all the reviews online talking about a harsh ride on 20's. I arrived early so had the car from 7-7.45pm and both my wife and I drove the car. On smooth surfaces I had no issues with the 20's whatsoever, so the dual carriageway outside and around Thorpe park were perfectly fine, on slightly bumpier surfaces and riding over cats eyes there was a jiggle but nothing that was a show stopper, I suspect on really bad surfaces it could be a little unsettling and not as well absorbed as my Audi, however the handling characteristics are great and I found it to be very responsive and sharp. My other car is a E63 AMG so I have some experience in order to make a comparison. Getting back in to the Audi Q7 afterwards made it feel more boat like even when put in its firmer dynamic setting. So I'd say its a trade off, if you are an enthusiastic driver and like a decent handling car then you should have no issue with the Model Y's suspension set up, I suspect the 19's will offer a marginal improvement over the 20's however I don't think its going to be a night and day comparison. I've instructed Tesla whilst at the demo centre last night to change my order to the 20's based on my experience as I prefer them cosmetically over the 19's. I have seen some video's on Youtube and the Tesla rep's also mentioned that you can take off the gemini covers and either paint them with a black plasitdip spray or the alloys underneath and get the best of both worlds if you don't like the silver. From my research the gemini wheel covers only offer you better range whilst at motorway speeds and less so around town so unless you do a lot of long commuting you may not see a lot of range improvement over the 20's or the 19's with the wheel covers off driving locally.

In terms of sound insulation, we had some vibration in the rear, when I pulled over and swapped over to my wife driving we noticed the middle rear seat was down and folded over but not clicked in so we just put in back to its upright position and the noise issue was gone. We drove mostly with the radio off to get a good feel for the insulation levels and again coming from the Audi I found it fine. I cannot confirm if this would be the same at constant motorway speeds but I didn't notice anything to put me off.

Only negative I can see was the rear view visibility out of the back window was like looking through a letter box but once you get use to the on board cameras it should be less of an issue.

Hope that helps.
T.
I've instructed Tesla whilst at the demo centre last night to change my order to the 20's based on my experience as I prefer them cosmetically over the 19's.
Did that change your assumed delivery date by much?

Anyone still waiting for a trade in confirmation from Tesla? Not that I’m impatient. It’s been a whole 2 working days now.
Emma
PM 02:00
In regards to your trade in offer, we are currently experiencing a high volume in trade in requests which has generated a backlog at the moment, it may take a few weeks before receiving an offer from us.
Please accept our apologies for the delay, we appreciate your patience and understanding during this busy period.

How did that come about? Were you in contact with them specifically? I'm tempted by a test drive but if there'll be a closer car soon, I'd prefer to wait.
I’d contacted them previously enquiring and they phoned me. It is currently booked in as a Model 3 test drive on the confirmation email but I presume this was just to reserve the slot

Any one know if you can reject the car on delivery if it doesn’t have the AMD processor and other new features that are important to you?
I don't believe that would count as 'good grounds' for rejection. Tesla don't make any promises about when components will be upgraded, nor whether you can expect old or new technology on a specific date. Refer back to the previous discussions on rear lights, phone chargers, door caps and a whole host of other elements responsible for much similar griping.

All you can do is cancel your order and wait until the cars being delivered contain all you want then start again.

(But don't be reading too much on here in the meantime, as there'll be another 'must have' upgrade along before you know it).

Reactions: Stuart1979
the sliver Geminis do look nice with Red Exterior/White Interior I think .. but I am biased
I hate the old aero 18" trims, but I actually really like the 19" geminis! Rimetrix (in the US) do a replacement cover that effectively gives you a 20" wheel and given the external tyre dimension is identical it means (hopefully) more comfort with larger wheel look.. But that said I'm not a massive fan of black wheels despite it being the current trend.

Reactions: sircoynie and Roarr
Pretty sure all the 3 and Y coming out of Shanghai this year will have the AMD MCU and lithium 12v etc
Not while Intel stocks exist..there's no hard cutoff point, it's just what is loaded onto the production line when your car is built. It'll just become more and more likely you'll get the AMD as time goes on.

A spreadsheet I found elsewhere - 2022 Tesla Updates Tracker (Responses)

Looks completely random to me.

Not while Intel stocks exist..there's no hard cutoff point, it's just what is loaded onto the production line when your car is built. It'll just become more and more likely you'll get the AMD as time goes on.

A spreadsheet I found elsewhere - 2022 Tesla Updates Tracker (Responses)

Looks completely random to me.
I think that may be a little bit more complicated as they have to change the motherboard (I am guessing). On PC the Intel motherboard are not compatible at all with AMD processors.