Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people's concerns with the lack of parcel shelf? the noise? (I've not test driven so don't know). I was initially concerned from a security perspective (i.e. putting stuff in the boot out of sight) but after thinking about it I can live with the Frunk/ lower compartment in the boot.

The other thing I suppose I'll have to deal with is people making comments about it being cheap or odd that it doesn't have one.
For me it's noise....but then again I am Acoustonaut!

Advance warning, sorry this is an off-topic subject from deliveries, but I know this is a concern for quite a few on here. Descending the rabbit hole....

My understanding is that on the Model Y, the the rear tyre tub contributes a significant amount of road noise to even the front seat positions. This is likely to be a key remaining contributor now that both front and rear side glass has the acoustic lamination layer. (This layer layer in the glass reduces the coincidence dip of the glass that will be around 3.5 - 4.0mm thick and therefore at 800Hz to 1KHz dip in noise attenuation. Annoyingly this attenuation dip matches perfectly the normal tyre tread noise roar that you hear. (Laminated side glass makes the parcel shelf more important as a path.) Therefore also given that there is no traditional fuel tank heal kick panel in this architecture (normally another key path for tread noise frequencies) tyre tub and door seals are really all that is left given that the floor is so thick on an EV. The other problem with no parcel shelf is that it increases not only the unbroken cabin volume, but also the maximum path length from trunk lid to windshield and therefore supports more boomy low frequencies, as well as the higher frequencies coming through from the rear air extract vents, located under the bumper on the rear flanks, leading to an apparent rear end openness.

In short, parcel shelf is good for road noise and I will be adding both damping sheets and felt to the back side of the under trunk tub trim.
AliExpress also sell MY parcel shelves which have a self adhesive panel that sticks to each trunk side trim, to modify the cars that we will "apparently" be receiving from what I was told today. (Having been told the exact opposite on my previous call (that parcel shelves WERE included) I shall be waiting until the 15th to see if my car has one already!) For anyone who wants to check these retro parts out, here is the link: tesla model y parcel shelf - Buy tesla model y parcel shelf with free shipping on AliExpress

Door trim second seal kits are also available on there and I would normally expect a car at this level to have these, but they don't, so I might be getting a set of those, too. (Be sure to try and get the free shipping options if you can with AliExpress, as the shipping can often be inflated and is non=-refundable. Also note that VAT is added at last checkout confirmation.)

Hope this helps, honestly I'm not quite this geeky about everything in life, Vehicle NVH was a previous career of mine!

I will report back on parcel shelves (and the state of the sausage rolls, quiche and vol-au-vents on the 15th.

The test drive car I had didnt seem that noisy in the cabin apart from a rattle in back somewhere - especially considering instead of a soft insulated roof lining its got highly sound reflective glass - that's always going to be louder. I've always removed the parcel shelves from my cars and never noticed a huge difference.

You could try to expose the floor in the boot and stick sound deadening mats or keep a rug in the boot. Anything soft will help.
Thats good to hear.

I've ordered these all weather bits; rubber rear trunk liner, lower rubber rear well liner, the rubber Frunk liner, as well as side bins.

I guess this will help to reduce any noise coming from the rear if its a problem at all. 🙉

I see they now have a carpet for the Frunk for £13, which seems reasonable. If they had carpets on offer for the other bits I bought I'd of gone for them, as they'd be ideal for noise dampening. But maybe the other storage areas are carpeted already, no idea. Guess I'll find out on the 16th !

Replied to one of the delivery update texts earlier to ask about March 1st ‘22 plates and received the cryptic message below in response, which at this point could mean anything

“Hi there,
Model Y is 2022 registered on day March app should also work within 24 hours of pick up March 1”

• Funny
Reactions: acoustonaut
It's so odd that Tesla is leaving off the Parcel Shelf for UK Model Y's. It's been widely reported that the HK and Mainland China Model Y's have been manufactured with the parcel shelf since the new year: Model Y Parcel Shelf

It's not like Tesla to leave out parts; typically changes are reflected between factories in the US and China within a few weeks of release. And in this case, leaving out the parcel shelf, when the cars are made within the same factory is very odd..
In addition, The LR Battery being 75kWh doesn't add up, newer Model Y's in China have 82kWh... hmm

Yes my VIN has E for battery which according to one decoder is NMC which I think LG just recently started supplying to China for the Y. So I suspect 82 kwh

I saw a few posts regarding VIN availability. Some of you have received a VIN, then asked Tesla UK to open your order checklist again to allow for a trade in request for your old car, and then the VIN disappeared. It happened to me today too.

If you browse through your account, you'll see your VIN finder extension saying that there is no VIN assigned to you unless you look specifically at the page where your completed delivery checklist lives. I simply think that the VIN only appears when your checklist shows as complete, which will happen again once your trade in offer is in. I am speculating, but I don't think that the VIN actually went away and a new car is being assign to you / us. In fact, I already have a confirmed appointment on 2 March. Before I asked them for the trade in option to be re-opened, I made it clear that I do not want my appointment to be pushed or cancelled because of it. They assured me the the trade in offer request will have no impact on this ...

My 2c.

Is the consensus that the first shipments are on Hyperion ray or Viking bravey? Given the former is due in Southampton on Wednesday I’d guess there may be a few for Bristol, Scotland etc on there with the rest on Viking bravery next week. I don’t think there’s any way to confirm this though Unless someone has been told via Tesla.

For me it's noise....but then again I am Acoustonaut!

Advance warning, sorry this is an off-topic subject from deliveries, but I know this is a concern for quite a few on here. Descending the rabbit hole....

My understanding is that on the Model Y, the the rear tyre tub contributes a significant amount of road noise to even the front seat positions. This is likely to be a key remaining contributor now that both front and rear side glass has the acoustic lamination layer. (This layer layer in the glass reduces the coincidence dip of the glass that will be around 3.5 - 4.0mm thick and therefore at 800Hz to 1KHz dip in noise attenuation. Annoyingly this attenuation dip matches perfectly the normal tyre tread noise roar that you hear. (Laminated side glass makes the parcel shelf more important as a path.) Therefore also given that there is no traditional fuel tank heal kick panel in this architecture (normally another key path for tread noise frequencies) tyre tub and door seals are really all that is left given that the floor is so thick on an EV. The other problem with no parcel shelf is that it increases not only the unbroken cabin volume, but also the maximum path length from trunk lid to windshield and therefore supports more boomy low frequencies, as well as the higher frequencies coming through from the rear air extract vents, located under the bumper on the rear flanks, leading to an apparent rear end openness.

In short, parcel shelf is good for road noise and I will be adding both damping sheets and felt to the back side of the under trunk tub trim.
AliExpress also sell MY parcel shelves which have a self adhesive panel that sticks to each trunk side trim, to modify the cars that we will "apparently" be receiving from what I was told today. (Having been told the exact opposite on my previous call (that parcel shelves WERE included) I shall be waiting until the 15th to see if my car has one already!) For anyone who wants to check these retro parts out, here is the link: tesla model y parcel shelf - Buy tesla model y parcel shelf with free shipping on AliExpress

Door trim second seal kits are also available on there and I would normally expect a car at this level to have these, but they don't, so I might be getting a set of those, too. (Be sure to try and get the free shipping options if you can with AliExpress, as the shipping can often be inflated and is non=-refundable. Also note that VAT is added at last checkout confirmation.)

Hope this helps, honestly I'm not quite this geeky about everything in life, Vehicle NVH was a previous career of mine!

I will report back on parcel shelves (and the state of the sausage rolls, quiche and vol-au-vents on the 15th.
Door trim second seal kits are also available

Could you post a link I didn’t see it - sounds more interesting

Is the consensus that the first shipments are on Hyperion ray or Viking bravey? Given the former is due in Southampton on Wednesday I’d guess there may be a few for Bristol, Scotland etc on there with the rest on Viking bravery next week. I don’t think there’s any way to confirm this though Unless someone has been told via Tesla.

considering how many cars they’re bringing in I can’t imagine they’ll want to leave them too long before getting them into customer hands.

I’m down in Southampton on Friday is there anywhere you can get a view of the dock area they unload to? maybe we can see if there are Ys coming in this week

Door trim second seal kits are also available

Could you post a link I didn’t see it - sounds more interesting
tesla model y door seal kit - Buy tesla model y door seal kit with free shipping on AliExpress

Stick to well reviewed ones, these look reasonable to me. I expect I will grab some at some point, but I haven't driven a MY yet, only the 3, which I thought was quite reasonable. I'm expecting the MY to be good enough for most ears, and I want to experience the car unfettled first. Would love a DM from anyone who tries this, good luck!
See you next Tuesday, Pandinium (meant nicely!!)

tesla model y door seal kit - Buy tesla model y door seal kit with free shipping on AliExpress

Stick to well reviewed ones, these look reasonable to me. I expect I will grab some at some point, but I haven't driven a MY yet, only the 3, which I thought was quite reasonable. I'm expecting the MY to be good enough for most ears, and I want to experience the car unfettled first. Would love a DM from anyone who tries this, good luck!
See you next Tuesday, Pandinium (meant nicely!!)
There is one kit on Amazon but the reviews was all over the place, I was also looking at the internal lighting trim packages - but they are only from 3rd party app…

My MY is getting delivered on 1st March and I received the lease paperwork today which had a 22 registration plate on it. I also text CS and they said it definitely will not have a parcel shelf.

Message attached.

Still struggling to get sensible insurance quotes though 😭

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220207-221921_Messages.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220207-221921_Messages.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 105
Everyone so far has been saying 82Kwh battery but top gear say 75... hmmm
1644274164325.png
I was told LR is 75Kwh today when they called me (they were reading it direct from my car details off their screen). It ties up with this picture which was uploaded earlier by another poster and then quickly disappeared. It's from a German Tesla wiki site, I can't vouch for it's accuracy. The link is here:
[Wiki] Model 3 / Model Y - Batteriewiki / Akkuwiki
If this chart is to be believed, it indicates that they should be shifting to a 79Kwh any time now. Model 3 is 82.

Reactions: imstitch
I think maybe wait until you've at least sat in your new car before deciding to order aftermarket parts to modify it? Seeing so many worries about things being present/not being present/being wrong..... its only a short matter of days folks, no need to panic ;)
Decide for yourself if it is noisy or otherwise, not everyone will pick up on or hear the same thing that niggles others?