Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's so odd that Tesla is leaving off the Parcel Shelf for UK Model Y's. It's been widely reported that the HK and Mainland China Model Y's have been manufactured with the parcel shelf since the new year: Model Y Parcel Shelf

It's not like Tesla to leave out parts; typically changes are reflected between factories in the US and China within a few weeks of release. And in this case, leaving out the parcel shelf, when the cars are made within the same factory is very odd..
In addition, The LR Battery being 75kWh doesn't add up, newer Model Y's in China have 82kWh... hmm
Yeah, I mentioned the HK deliveries, and they were aware of the HK cars having them, too. But apparently it was very explicit in the briefing. Being automotive background myself, I see two possibilities; Using up old trunk side trims that don't accommodate the shelf on the EU/UK batch, or a breakdown in communication, in which case who knows which we will get?!

Reactions: Arran
Just had a call from Tesla, the person I spoke to seemed to know more about the Aerospace Bristol and the other events than anyone I've spoken to so far. Therefore I asked lots of questions, including covering some old ground, here is a summary of what I learned, maybe others can add more:

Cars:
Cars are still on boat (must be Hyperion Ray).
My car apparently has 67% charge right now, they could see this.
Shanghai built MY's do NOT NOT NOT have parcel shelves, and will NOT be retrofitted, confirmed at an internal meeting Friday....BOOOOOOOO! #firstworldproblems.
Berlin MYs not to UK until 3rd Quarter at earliest and would be Performance only for foreseeable.
Rizen chip confirmed.
16V small battery confirmed, to compensate for Rizen power requirement increase, gives small range increase.
LR battery is 75KW.
Heated wipers confirmed.

Delivery Events:
50 cars being delivered at Bristol on 15th. This was considered small, especially compared to Southampton Event.
Food has been arranged for all events except for Bristol, which isn't yet finalised.
Mixture of some free and some purchasable Tesla merch.
Bristol attendees will get access to the museum.
The team calling us know that they are deliberately being told very little of what is being planned by the event team. I was told that some things are planned that would make it likely feel worth picking up a 17 plate rather than waiting for a 22 one. We will see. (Jeez I do sound like a spoiled brat!)

Anyone else get a call and learn anything else besides this?
Thanks for the update. Let’s hope there’s some dregs left when I get to Southampton for 7pm pickup! Im deliberating whether to check the forum when the “special” events start or to just keep it a surprise. They told me two weeks ago that my car had 68% charge so it can’t have lost much in that week, what’s the normal battery drain like?. When I spoke to someone last week they said they guaranteed 30% I doubt it would loose that much charge in two weeks?

Yeah, I mentioned the HK deliveries, and they were aware of the HK cars having them, too. But apparently it was very explicit in the briefing. Being automotive background myself, I see two possibilities; Using up old trunk side trims that don't accommodate the shelf on the EU/UK batch, or a breakdown in communication, in which case who knows which we will get?!
Tesla have tweaked the user manual to say ‘Parcel Shelf (if equipped)’.

A subtle but important clarification.

• Informative
Reactions: acoustonaut
What are people's concerns with the lack of parcel shelf? the noise? (I've not test driven so don't know). I was initially concerned from a security perspective (i.e. putting stuff in the boot out of sight) but after thinking about it I can live with the Frunk/ lower compartment in the boot.

The other thing I suppose I'll have to deal with is people making comments about it being cheap or odd that it doesn't have one.

It's so odd that Tesla is leaving off the Parcel Shelf for UK Model Y's. It's been widely reported that the HK and Mainland China Model Y's have been manufactured with the parcel shelf since the new year: Model Y Parcel Shelf

It's not like Tesla to leave out parts; typically changes are reflected between factories in the US and China within a few weeks of release. And in this case, leaving out the parcel shelf, when the cars are made within the same factory is very odd..
In addition, The LR Battery being 75kWh doesn't add up, newer Model Y's in China have 82kWh... hmm
Not sure how much of anything Tesla staff say is believable with all the conflicting reports. I am definitely hoping for some good free stuff on the 19th though! Literally counting down the hours now...

Reactions: Arran and drewpost
What are people's concerns with the lack of parcel shelf? the noise? (I've not test driven so don't know). I was initially concerned from a security perspective (i.e. putting stuff in the boot out of sight) but after thinking about it I can live with the Frunk/ lower compartment in the boot.

The other thing I suppose I'll have to deal with is people making comments about it being cheap or odd that it doesn't have one.
Noise is a big one for me. The other thing is safety in motion. I like the idea that, in the event of a collision, a parcel shelf flies up and stops boot contents from flying into the cabin.

The test drive car I had didnt seem that noisy in the cabin apart from a rattle in back somewhere - especially considering instead of a soft insulated roof lining its got highly sound reflective glass - that's always going to be louder. I've always removed the parcel shelves from my cars and never noticed a huge difference.

You could try to expose the floor in the boot and stick sound deadening mats or keep a rug in the boot. Anything soft will help.

Reactions: Pete UK
Having dogs the parcel shelf is usually the first thing to get pulled out of any new car I get - I don't think I've ever noticed a difference in noise in the cabin with/without them on previous cars or been worried about security. Maybe the MY will be different but at the moment I'm pretty ambivalent about whether it's included or not 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Tameautumn and ukmy
Just got back from test drive. Ordered from lease company and have VIN.
Been informed that delivery is 17 Feb - 6th March.

I've not received any texts to choose collection date, but the CS showed me this. He wasn't convinced too much by this date (see pic).

Wonder if this could be accurate??

Ideally, I need to either sell my car/give it back to the dealership before collection.

This is for Trafford centre pick up. Anyone else got a confirmed collection date around this time from Trafford?

Attachments

• FF96188B-6DA1-4007-938F-CC0289C33113.jpeg
    FF96188B-6DA1-4007-938F-CC0289C33113.jpeg
    734.4 KB · Views: 75

Security of cargo mostly, noise secondly very noticeable in the model 3 for example, most people I know do not remove the parcel shelf from their cars. I find it rather strange that it doesn't come with one to be honest especially when they now have the ability to provide one from the factory that the car was made in.

Reactions: ajbrun
Thanks for the update. Let’s hope there’s some dregs left when I get to Southampton for 7pm pickup! Im deliberating whether to check the forum when the “special” events start or to just keep it a surprise. They told me two weeks ago that my car had 68% charge so it can’t have lost much in that week, what’s the normal battery drain like?. When I spoke to someone last week they said they guaranteed 30% I doubt it would loose that much charge in two weeks?
I've opted for 8am to beat the rush at local superchargers 😭

I'll try and post something if I remember... might be too overcome when Elon personally drives each car out and hands me the key plus a big bag of swag, free supercharging for life and a handful of cash and all the fireworks going off and the brass marching band sat in the back of a cybertruck doing donuts.

I've opted for 8am to beat the rush at local superchargers 😭

I'll try and post something if I remember... might be too overcome when Elon personally drives each car out and hands me the key plus a big bag of swag, free supercharging for life and a handful of cash and all the fireworks going off and the brass marching band sat in the back of a cybertruck doing donuts.
Don't forget Fish and Ryzen chips served in Space X dish! 📡

Reactions: dazzap
Security of cargo mostly, noise secondly very noticeable in the model 3 for example, most people I know do not remove the parcel shelf from their cars. I find it rather strange that it doesn't come with one to be honest especially when they now have the ability to provide one from the factory that the car was made in.
I'll be considering one of these:
Retractable Rear Trunk Cargo Cover for Tesla Model Y 2020-2022

My main concern would be sound dampening. So I guess I'll see how it is on various road surfaces first. It's not like I'm swapping from a silent car by any means, but with it being "electric", quietness is sort of assumed.

Got a text earlier today ‘your vehicle is on its way …’. Details to follow. Maybe it is, it’d be nice to see a proposed trade in value for my current vehicle appear.

Unsure about the parcel shelf. I typically leave them in as they reduce noise in the cabin. Though shifting it out before putting big loads in is something I wouldn’t miss.

Wonder what month and date they’ll suggest for delivery/pickup.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Got a text earlier today ‘your vehicle is on its way …’. Details to follow. Maybe it is, it’d be nice to see a proposed trade in value for my current vehicle appear.

Unsure about the parcel shelf. I typically leave them in as they reduce noise in the cabin. Though shifting it out before putting big loads in is something I wouldn’t miss.

Wonder what month and date they’ll suggest for delivery/pickup.
There is a super easy after market one - I will buy it if required - I’m just happy to get a car after 11 months without a real one! (Wife’s doesn’t count)