Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relax and stay with it. The £2100 you're saving will pay for those Rimetrix several times over. Hell - you could probably even get a fabulous set of aftermarket alloys for significantly less.
I'm not sure you can get a set of nice 20s plus tyres for 2100. I originally ordered 19s but switched to 20s because I couldn't find a good (easy) aftermarket option.
NO WAY am I paying £300+ for some 19" plastic wheel trims!!

Reactions: RichardTheKing
I'm not sure you can get a set of nice 20s plus tyres for 2100. I originally ordered 19s but switched to 20s because I couldn't find a good (easy) aftermarket option.
That was my reasoning too, 19's look small on the Model Y, no decent aftermarket 20" Wheel/Tyre combination for the same amount and wheel trim covers are notorious for damaging the alloy wheel underneath either by scuffing the outer edge through vibration or trapping water and damaging the lacquer layer of the face/edge. Be careful those that have ordered Rimetrix covers - do your research online.

Reactions: foxtru and VX Foxy
-Originally ordered white Y / 20’ wheels
-Changed to 19’ thinking I can add the Rimitrex (like I did with my M3)
- Have a 12th March delivery date
- Every Picture I see tells me to swap back to 20’ wheels even if it delays order…???
I went through a similar process.
- originally ordered MYP within 10mins of the book opening
- changed to LR on 19s thinking the P wasn't worth the extra and I'd powdered coat or buy aftermarket 20s
- rejected Feb 19 pick up
- changed order to blue/black/20
- test drove Y on 20s and was very happy with the firm ride.
- just received delivery window of 15-29 March

Just got home from Bristol delivery and read through this so far. Offering my summary here, going into a bit more detail where I can hopefully add a bit of definitive value given my automotive development background.

I was picking up 2 MY's today and I will start by saying that they are both very solidly built, no squeaks and rattles, no panel gap issues (large but consistent, so OK) and I AM VERY HAPPY at this stage. Everything else here that sounds like moans is just critique, with me having assessed 100's of cars through the years for all aspects, but particularly for Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) and Audio and Infotainment. I am happy because THE CARS ARE GREAT!

Event:
The event was a non-event and Tesla made a gaff by calling it a Delivery Event and telling me on the phone there would be swag and cool other stuff presumably to tempt us to take a 71 plate rather than wait 2 weeks. I was told it would be "spectacular." Not cool Tesla, not cool. That said, if the cars had be badly built and the event amazing, that would have been far, far worse. So overall, good. (Tesla have an exceptional control over their operating costs and today we saw why other car companies only make 5% operating margin and Tesla make about 18% - They spent £50 on Jaffa cakes!) So overall, the right balance, first world problems. TAKE UMBRELLAS THIS WEEK BECAUSE CARS ARE ALL OUTSIDE!

OK the car info:
Weirdly my blue car has the paint protection film in front of the rear wheels and my black car doesn't?!?!
Both have front mud flaps only.
Neither car has any of the Type C USB ports working. This will be a service fix, until then, wireless charging or 12V socket through an adaptor only. (The sockets are there but not the printed circuit boards behind them. (THIS WAS NOT STATED TO US TODAY.)
No parcel shelves, no ledges for them, the Ali express third party part is the way to go as it has the additive side mouldings included.
Can't really comment on the paint finish as its just been too wet, not too worried about this, Shanghai doesn't have the old paint shop like Fremont, so I'm not expecting issues.
2021 software as delivered was reliable, but I am only downloading 2022 software now I'm back on WIFI.
Side glass, I think I can clear this up for everyone - Yes it has laminated side glass fitted front and rear. (This is what some people call double glazing.) So, YES we have the new uprated rear glass to compliment the front glass already changed a couple of years ago. BUT, This laminated glass (poly-vinyl bonded or PVB) does not look to me to be acoustic PVB, just ordinary PVB. (acoustic PVB normally has an ear symbol on the markings or the word acoustic. Basically this normal PVB offers about half the benefit of acoustic PVB (at around half the cost) but to my tuned ears it has done the job well on this vehicle. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by how good this car was. For anyone still reading at this point, the parcel shelf would provide SOME benefit, but not much. There was no dominating higher frequency openness coming from the rear, but some mid frequency that was inoffensive to me. (Would be of more benefit to rear passengers, obviously.) The mid frequency from the rear would have me treating the rear tub with damping and some felt below that trim. If I were tasked with making that car quieter tomorrow I would be heading straight to the second set of door seals sold on ali express to give the greatest benefit, as without doing this, any other money spent on a parcel shelf or otherwise would offer little benefit. I will be living with the car as it is for a while before making any mods, as I find it to be that good. Wind noise was good, road noise was good, biggest niggle beinng the very audible whines when the vehicle starts pre-conditioning for super-charging. That said, all opinions will be different and fall within a bell curve as at least 50% of acoustics is psychoacoustics and brains are highly subjective and variable. My dissertation for my degree many years ago was actually on subjective responses to vehicle noise, so I know we will all hear whatever we hear, and be valid opinions! Therefore I'm not saying whether you should be happy or not, just offering an explanation to maximise any further investment value.

It's a great car, good luck everyone, hope this helps. Just don't get your hopes up beyond getting a great car at the event!

Same here, have been assigned a VIN this morning
And me - Cancelled White/Black on 19s for White/Black on 20s yesterday - this morning got a new VIN and delivery date of between 12th-26th March. Really wasnt expecting notification and a delivery before May.

As someone who had issues with a model 3, do not expect anything. THE SERVICE IS WORLD LEADING for being AWFUL! Never experienced anything like it. Your car will be amazing if without fault but service is just a different level
I would respectively disagree with you. Owning a Tesla is a mind shift in many ways to traditional car ownership. Sure, it's frustrating at times when you are not getting the service you expect. However, the majority of times I have spoken to a Tesla representative or visited the local SC, they have been excellent. I have had 3 service visits and 2 Ranger visits over 2 years so I'm not without issues.

Reactions: VX Foxy
I'm sure you are correct that a good set of 20s will cost more than £2,100 but you forget that those Geminis that come off the car have a significant value too - anything between £400-500 a corner.

Reactions: Campi and VX Foxy
Thinking about potentially cancelling my order, I’m sure it’s a great car and have heard great things about Tesla, but part of the reason I was making the switch was I was tired of Jaguars customer service post purchase. I find it very frustrating that after rejecting delivery for the 19th there’s been absolute silence from Tesla, they haven’t responded to emails and no way to talk to them on the phone, getting worried if their presale customer service is so horrid surely post sale can’t be that much better.
This is my take on the problem based on my experience (ordered on 30/10/21).

In the middle of January, I changed my order to Inductions and requested a March pickup (I was never offered the 19th Feb). This then meant that my account was put on hold so that you did not get offered again in Feb.

Have suspected that when on hold it meant that your account stayed on hold until March, which is not the same as asking for a March delivery. This is why, I suspect, many who rejected the 19th heard nothing for so long and why later orders were given early March delivery dates.

In my case I wanted to pay the car off in Feb (accountancy benefits) and was not worried about when it got delivered, so I decided to raise a second order to see which order would come in first and then also raised this point via email which was replied to. As if by magic, the next day, a VIN number appeared on my first order. Might be a co-incidence, but to be fair to other orders I then cancelled the 2nd order (I don’t expect to get my £100 deposit back).

The next set of problems for us “London” collections was that we lost Thorpe Park and Brent Cross has still not gone live. This meant Tesla now need to try and shoehorn London collections into Bluewater or fund home deliveries (I bet that hurts). This week I emailed and said I would take Bluewater as an option (if it helps my case) and a few hours later I had a date at Bluewater. Co-incidence? Maybe. From the outside looking in, this logistics problem should have been a known risk, and they should have had contingencies in place and that includes communication plans.

I also think that trying to get the first ship load of MY’s out to customers in late Feb did more harm to their individual customer base than good. Possibly a lesson learnt for Tesla, or perhaps they won’t care that much because they have the enterprise accounts that will take a late Feb delivery.

Not long to go now and this will be a distant memory.

Happy Friday to all of you :cool:

And me - Cancelled White/Black on 19s for White/Black on 20s yesterday - this morning got a new VIN and delivery date of between 12th-26th March. Really wasnt expecting notification and a delivery before May.
As @JL17433 says, great outcome. Out of interest, where were you aiming to collect from? I've just got a VIN this morning but also vaguely tempted to switch to 20s...certainly not at the trade off of a May delivery though.

I went through a similar process.
- originally ordered MYP within 10mins of the book opening
- changed to LR on 19s thinking the P wasn't worth the extra and I'd powdered coat or buy aftermarket 20s
- rejected Feb 19 pick up
- changed order to blue/black/20
- test drove Y on 20s and was very happy with the firm ride.
- just received delivery window of 15-29 March
Think I’m going to change to 20 and just accept the delay . When it doesn’t let you change an order online who is best to contact ?