Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought it for my Model 3 and don't regret it at all. But I'm an acceleration freak, the type who slightly regrets not geting the Performance Model 3. Totally understand why people would find it too expensive, but I think it's well worth it if you'll really enjoy the extra acceleration. It's not just the 0-60mph that feels significantly faster, it's also very noticeable from a roll. Same would apply for the Model Y, it would be an instant purchase for me.
Did you have any issues with your insurance company with the AB purchase?

Just depends on your personal preference. Many people will find the stock performance more than adequate.

0.5 sec off a car that can do 0-60 in 10 sec wouldn’t be worth much but shaving half a second off a car that already does 0-60 in sub 5 sec is huge, that would cost a lot more to increase performance that much in an ICE.
I agree tbh. I used to have a Mercedes A35 AMG with stage 1 which took the 0-60 down to around 4 secs, however a mate of mine who had a M3 would destroy me off the line.

Need to remember that the model Y is a much bigger car and the feeling will generally and automatically feel quicker. I have a delivery date of 2nd March for my MY. I'm sure a coupe of beers that following weekend may end up an expensive one!! 🤣

Did you have any issues with your insurance company with the AB purchase?
Good point, i see it that Insurance companies always ask if the car has been modified.

Be interested to see what peoples POV on this is. The MY hasn't been modified as it can actually do the 0-60 when you bought it, However, I suppose the same can be said of ICE cars having stage upgrades...

I can say that I struggled like mad trying to get a good insurance cover price for my MY starting on 2nd March. I had been driving a company car for 15 years before getting my own (company cars are a tax nightmare) and couldn't get the huge corporate company I worked for to get me proof of no claims. I ended up with just claiming two years no claims and doing a multi car policy to get the Model Y under 1k!!.

Good point, i see it that Insurance companies always ask if the car has been modified.

Be interested to see what peoples POV on this is. The MY hasn't been modified as it can actually do the 0-60 when you bought it, However, I suppose the same can be said of ICE cars having stage upgrades...

I can say that I struggled like mad trying to get a good insurance cover price for my MY starting on 2nd March. I had been driving a company car for 15 years before getting my own (company cars are a tax nightmare) and couldn't get the huge corporate company I worked for to get me proof of no claims. I ended up with just claiming two years no claims and doing a multi car policy to get the Model Y under 1k!!.
I've gone with a DL policy and they have just added a note on the policy for AB - no increase in premium. A bit ahead of myself as I don't even have the car for another 10 days 😁

Collected mine last night. All seems good except for the driver door trim not aligned. Went around and checked few other cars and they all had the issue. One of the tesla guys helped me book in a service with tesla near me. Please check yours too. Also met a few Y owners when charging in Reading who had just picked up theirs. All very happy 😁

I have been thinking about changing my order to the 20s induction tyres because people say they look nice. But I cannot get past the:

1. Worse performance
2. The ride not being so good
3. The additional cost
4. Michelin tyres and their side wall cracking issues. Experienced this problem many times and a simple search on Google highlights the problem many others have experienced.
5. Not going to get the money back when you sell the car in the future.

Therefore, in conclusion I can see no advantage in getting the 20s apart from some people think they look nice on essentially a family car - eye of the beholder.

I would be interested to hear of other people's opinions other than the 20s look nice to them?

I have been thinking about changing my order to the 20s induction tyres because people say they look nice. But I cannot get past the:

1. Worse performance
3. The additional cost
4. Michelin tyres and their side wall cracking issues. Experienced this problem many times and a simple search on Google highlights the problem many others have experienced.

Therefore, in conclusion I can see no advantage in getting the 20s apart from some people think they look nice on essentially a family car - eye of the beholder.

I would be interested to hear of other people's opinions other than the 20s look nice to them?
I agree with you. I think the difference will be 11-12 miles in real range and maybe 20 or so on a long slow run. Yes they look better but not so much that 2k plus range and comfort disadvantages justify it. If range and comfort not an issue 20s win, if u want to save money and improve range and comfort (all be it a little bit). Get stock wheels

1. Worse performance
3. The additional cost

Best opt for what you like the look of as you’ll be looking at it every day.

If you buy what you love… it’s easier to forgive any marginal downsides.

I’ve driven 19’s and 20’s and felt there was a clear difference. So if comfort is very important then I’d suggest the 19’s might be more appropriate, and tbh they look f***** awesome in the flesh.

It all boils down to personal choice and tricky if you’ve not been able to see/test both to compare.

Collected mine last night. All seems good except for the driver door trim not aligned. Went around and checked few other cars and they all had the issue. One of the tesla guys helped me book in a service with tesla near me. Please check yours too. Also met a few Y owners when charging in Reading who had just picked up theirs. All very happy 😁
Mind uploading a pic of the misaligned door trim so we know what to look out for?

Could you post a photo of what to look for?

1. Worse performance
3. The additional cost

My suggestion is if it benefits you the owner. I'm having ppf covered to protect the paintwork. If I ever sell it the owners will be more interested in the paintwork than the fact the wheels are 19 not 20.

1. Worse performance
3. The additional cost

My suggestion is if it benefits you the owner. I'm having ppf covered to protect the paintwork. If I ever sell it the owners will be more interested in the paintwork than the fact the wheels are 19 not 20