Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me wrong. I'm on the same boat as you, first EV and it's a MY.

Vendor locking is a strategy most companies use to stifle churn, but I guess Tesla see it as an opportunity to make more money at the expense of removing exclusivity. I think this has a huge risk of pissing off its current user base. Imagine driving from a long leg of your planned trip, and showing up at a Tesla Supercharger completely full, with Ford's, Hyundai's, KIAs and other EVs, having to queue up for something that wasn't always so.

Tesla is a company that thrives on data. Note they're being very selective about which Supercharger sites they open up to other EVs and are monitoring their usage. They certainly don't want to risk causing frustration or alienating their existing customer base by just flicking a switch and opening all sites up for everyone. If you're not aware, the reason they've chosen to do this so broadly in the Netherlands is because they're served very well by other rapid charging networks as well. The situation in the UK is different and I agree that suddenly opening up the Superchargers here would be a bad move - which is why they haven't done so.

Reactions: Jason71
They’ve paved the way for the future. A bit like Apple with the iPhone. Competition is good, it’s good for the consumer. I’m about to collect my first EV and it’s a MY. But I’m looking forward to some of the advances in the EV space, which will benefit mankind greatly. The question is whether Tesla can stay ahead of the rest - opening up super charges is not staying ahead but I get why they are exploring this.

There’s a reason why iMessage and the Apple App Store are not available on android - this keeps Apple ahead and customers locked in if you would.
At least apple have excellent customer service

At least apple have excellent customer service

Just like with Tesla service, it depends who you ask. Apple is rated "Bad" with 1.7 / 5 on Trustpilot

I've had very good service from Tesla but haven't shared my experiences. Much better than I had from Jaguar or Renault for the previous cars (also EVs) I owned. I'm confident I'm part of a quiet majority here and honestly think the criticisms are overblown.

"If you're not aware, the reason they've chosen to do this so broadly in the Netherlands is because they're served very well by other rapid charging networks as well"
Isn't it new EU directives that are forcing them to open up the Supercharger network in Europe? They will find a way of doing it that doesn't inconvenience Tesla drivers too much. So maybe not in UK and anyway probably split facilities - Tesla this side, other crap that side (and Teslas if they're desperate)!

Reactions: foxtru
That's the thing, Tesla most likely will not have a better product than the competition. The competition is catching up and quickly. Their only unique selling points (USP) are the Supercharger network, the promise of the best FSD, and the battery tech. The network will be opened up to non-Tesla EVs soon, so forget that being a USP. The batteries will be resold to other EV manufacturers. So the only thing left is FSD.
No other EV has so much room versus exterior size - Tesla so much better at packaging their power train - the latest BMW iX is quite telling on that. You should look the Model S Plaid tear down on Munro Live channel. Really telling.
No other OEM is able to provide the efficiency of Tesla, using the same LG battery technology - likely to take more years to catch up.
No other OEM able to really improve the car over the air - the whole architecture philosophy is preventing them to do so. Volkswagen ID software architecture is a disaster.

So to me, it’s really not only about the supercharger network… that’s only the cherry on the cake

So to me, it’s really not only about the supercharger network… that’s only the cherry on the cake
Yeah, you are quite right. A lot of EV manufacturers use the engine bay for a slew of systems, essentially taking away space that could be used for luggage as a froot / frunk.

I guess you also didn't mention the processes and technologies that go into the automated production line, and the amount of volume they can pump out in their Gigafactories. So I think you are right in saying they're several years ahead in all those regards!

No other EV has so much room versus exterior size - Tesla so much better at packaging their power train - the latest BMW iX is quite telling on that. You should look the Model S Plaid tear down on Munro Live channel. Really telling.
No other OEM is able to provide the efficiency of Tesla, using the same LG battery technology - likely to take more years to catch up.
No other OEM able to really improve the car over the air - the whole architecture philosophy is preventing them to do so. Volkswagen ID software architecture is a disaster.

I agree with the above points, however most of these aren’t as visible to someone making a buying decision as the Supercharger network is.

Having looked at various companies there, I think they should probably rename themselves Rantpilot. Quite funny if you look at "reviews" of Trustpilot themselves as well. Trustpilot Reviews - Read 2,100 Genuine Customer Reviews | www.trustpilot.com
TrustPilot is bollocks, and it’s refreshing that Tesla and Apple haven’t bought into the TP scam.

Wren Kitchens, for example, are a complete shower of sh17 yet score 4.6 because they are able to manipulate the reviews by paying a subscription.

Reactions: EVMeister
Does any one know why I am losing miles so rapidly while being parked ? I was at 294 miles when I parked , drove just 2miles and today I am at 243 !
Sentry mode alone cannot be draining this much juice for sure !
I believe if you can leave the charging cable plugged in even after it has finished charging, unplug when ready to drive it will be better. I think Tesla also advises this.

Does any one know why I am losing miles so rapidly while being parked ? I was at 294 miles when I parked , drove just 2miles and today I am at 243 !
Sentry mode alone cannot be draining this much juice for sure !
So many things affect the mileage estimates. This is an impossible question to answer. Switch to % then post what you are loosing. But just so you are aware if not already. An M3 loses 200-300 wh per hour on Sentry which would be 6-9% of an MY battery in 24hours. With the new Ryzen processor MY may be worse. So don't underestimate Sentry range loss