Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy collection day, reps left a lot to be desired but all in all a easy experience

Attachments

• AD014D13-5D84-4D8C-917C-7A48C11DE05D.jpeg
    AD014D13-5D84-4D8C-917C-7A48C11DE05D.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Pete UK
Just swapped my 4 year old Model X 75D with 50k miles for a new Model Y LR. Literally a straight swap on Tesla trade-in. I'm very happy with the deal as the trade-in was way above WBAC or Motorway quoted prices. When I bought the MX 4 years ago, I never expected to have a penny of equity in it, but ended up with £13,500 equity after paying off the PCP.

I'm really impressed with the Model Y and it doesn't feel like much of a downgrade from the X. The newer and less buggy infotainment system makes up for the slightly cheaper finish. But it still feels like a premium car and the build quality is noticeably improved. Handling is sharper too. Overall a better car for UK B-roads and the car I would have originally chosen over the X had it been available back then.

We also have a 1 year old Model 3 LR (last of the US built cars, 2021 model) and I have to say the fit and finish on the new Y is much better. Panel gaps are perfect all round, whereas our 3 was borderline acceptable, with a terrible boot and front wing fit - slightly improved by service. Paint is better too, with none missing this time and no blobs! But aside from the cosmetics, I'm surprised how different the Y is to drive. The 3 feels and handles like a serious low-slung sportscar, while the Y feels far more like an SUV, albeit a sharp handling one. I was expecting them to feel closer, but it's not a negative. I think the Y actually makes a more relaxed daily driver, while still being seriously quick from A-B. The sound system on the Y also seems a little better than the 3. I would have thought it was identical, but it definitely sounds better - less muddy and deeper bass. Almost on a par with the premium sound system in our Model X, which set the bar very high. Maybe the bigger cabin volume helps?

So just out of curiosity I requested a trade-in price for our 1 year old Model 3 LR with 14k miles. They came back with a price only £1k less than we paid for it new (£47k vs £48k). So looks like we'll be trading it in for a second Model Y while the deal is still on! Or could be tempted by a Model 3 Performance as they look like reasonable value at current prices over the LR. I have to say I'm quite impressed with Tesla at the moment with no plans to jump ship any time soon.

PS: All this talk in the motoring press about the Model Y having a harsh ride has turned out to be complete bollocks. At least on stock 19" rims it rides our crappy B-roads very nicely. It's on the firm side for sure, but definitely not harsh in any way. So that was a relief having not had a test drive before ordering.

You don’t need to pay the deposit to receive your reg, vin or collection date, as long as you’ve got 4 ticks in your account then you’re all set
Thank you. So turns out that my car is already ready for collection on 28th March. I’m beyond amazed that I booked on 21st and will collect on 28th March!! When I went to Chelmsford Tesla for a test drive I gave the rep my RN number and when he checked the system he could see an ‘undelivered’ text message to my mobile notifying me of my collection date. He then re-sent the text message to me with my VIN and reg number. I’ve paid my deposit amount now and my account has been updated with the “paid” status. Had I not visited Chelmsford Tesla, I would have probably missed out on this.

I guess I got really lucky to skip long waiting periods and got MY in a week. Can’t wait for 28th Mar now.

Collected my Y today. Far fewer issues than when I collect my 3 a few years ago. Build quality seems a lot better!
Has anyone noticed that the fog light controls are disabled and cannot be turned on?
I’m right in thinking the LR should have fog lamps?
Cheers!
I went to pick one up with a friend and we noticed the same initially confused us for a minute. I seem to remember we worked out in the end it has to be in drive with the dipped headlights on before it becomes enabled but then it was fine.

Just swapped my 4 year old Model X 75D with 50k miles for a new Model Y LR. Literally a straight swap on Tesla trade-in. I'm very happy with the deal as the trade-in was way above WBAC or Motorway quoted prices. When I bought the MX 4 years ago, I never expected to have a penny of equity in it, but ended up with £13,500 equity after paying off the PCP.

I'm really impressed with the Model Y and it doesn't feel like much of a downgrade from the X. The newer and less buggy infotainment system makes up for the slightly cheaper finish. But it still feels like a premium car and the build quality is noticeably improved. Handling is sharper too. Overall a better car for UK B-roads and the car I would have originally chosen over the X had it been available back then.

We also have a 1 year old Model 3 LR (last of the US built cars, 2021 model) and I have to say the fit and finish on the new Y is much better. Panel gaps are perfect all round, whereas our 3 was borderline acceptable, with a terrible boot and front wing fit - slightly improved by service. Paint is better too, with none missing this time and no blobs! But aside from the cosmetics, I'm surprised how different the Y is to drive. The 3 feels and handles like a serious low-slung sportscar, while the Y feels far more like an SUV, albeit a sharp handling one. I was expecting them to feel closer, but it's not a negative. I think the Y actually makes a more relaxed daily driver, while still being seriously quick from A-B. The sound system on the Y also seems a little better than the 3. I would have thought it was identical, but it definitely sounds better - less muddy and deeper bass. Almost on a par with the premium sound system in our Model X, which set the bar very high. Maybe the bigger cabin volume helps?

So just out of curiosity I requested a trade-in price for our 1 year old Model 3 LR with 14k miles. They came back with a price only £1k less than we paid for it new (£47k vs £48k). So looks like we'll be trading it in for a second Model Y while the deal is still on! Or could be tempted by a Model 3 Performance as they look like reasonable value at current prices over the LR. I have to say I'm quite impressed with Tesla at the moment with no plans to jump ship any time soon.

PS: All this talk in the motoring press about the Model Y having a harsh ride has turned out to be complete bollocks. At least on stock 19" rims it rides our crappy B-roads very nicely. It's on the firm side for sure, but definitely not harsh in any way. So that was a relief having not had a test drive before ordering.

Would you upgrade to MX when the new one comes out? We really like the look of falcon doors.

Would you upgrade to MX when the new one comes out? We really like the look of falcon doors.
The Falcon doors were fun and proved to be surprisingly practical with 2 small kids (both were still in child seats when we bought the MX and it was so convenient not having to bend over to strap them in). But now the kids are older I don't see much point. Then there's the price difference to consider. I don't think the MX is worth the difference in cost. I would only give it serious consideration if there was ever an entirely new Model X. Something that was a real game-changer like the original X was. I think the Y is simply much better value for money and I prefer the slightly smaller size and sharper handling.

But I have to admit I was a little sad to say goodbye to my Model X. It was easily the best and most unique family car I've ever owned. It was even reliable, lol.

Reactions: Maplepho
The Falcon doors were fun and proved to be surprisingly practical with 2 small kids (both were still in child seats when we bought the MX and it was so convenient not having to bend over to strap them in). But now the kids are older I don't see much point. Then there's the price difference to consider. I don't think the MX is worth the difference in cost. I would only give it serious consideration if there was ever an entirely new Model X. Something that was a real game-changer like the original X was. I think the Y is simply much better value for money and I prefer the slightly smaller size and sharper handling.

But I have to admit I was a little sad to say goodbye to my Model X. It was easily the best and most unique family car I've ever owned. It was even reliable, lol.
That’s our current situation with two child seats and bending all the time to strap them in, but no new MX available at least in the nearish future we will be happy with the Y.

That’s our current situation with two child seats and bending all the time to strap them in, but no new MX available at least in the nearish future we will be happy with the Y.
Yeah, that was the big advantage of the Falcon doors. They also made a great umbrella in the rain! But other than that the Y is every bit as good. One advantage to the Y is a much more expansive glass roof in the rear. Our kids have already picked up on this. The X could actually feel a bit claustrophobic in the rear with those deeply recessed little roof skylights. Only the front passengers really benefit from the panoramic windscreen - which was another very unique and impressive feature of the X. I will miss that a little too now I think about it. Although it was a mixed blessing when you needed to use the sun visor, which was an acquired skill to operate. I got used to it while driving, but most passengers failed miserably with it!

The 3 feels and handles like a serious low-slung sportscar, while the Y feels far more like an SUV, albeit a sharp handling one. I was expecting them to feel closer, but it's not a negative

Nice to see you back :)

Me too. Switched from M3 to MY for hatchback and tow hitch. The M3 was tighter, the MY lacks precision - e.g. floor it from 40 on a straight road, some attention is required on the steering wheel; maybe all SUVs are like that ... Useful to read your comparison with MX. I still prefer the MS for long journeys; we didn't need the MX gazebo-doors for umbrella as our kids were already teenagers by the time of MX launch, but any of them is pretty cavernous for luggage when going on holiday, perhaps the MY is a bit easier to load than M3 (and of course will take an odd-shaped object that the M3 boot would have failed on)

All this talk in the motoring press about the Model Y having a harsh ride has turned out to be complete bollocks

Yeah, can't say I've noticed that the ride is harsh at all.

Reactions: Peteski and VX Foxy

Motoring Press were using high inflated 20" wheels .. They are shocking when inflated highly. But 19" inflated to 42PSI seem decent. not air suspension good, but decent

So my May Delivery date turned out to be totally wrong. Just had two texts telling me my collection has been scheduled for Saturday! I think Tesla are trying to push as many registrations by the end of this month as they can. Hopefully a few others will get the same news today?
I haven’t heard anything since my welcome/congrats text, fingers crossed they match me to a car as was originally told end of March. Now annoyed as can see inventory cars matching my spec

white/black/20’s picked up today. Absolutely perfect. Old 3 disappeared immediately from app and new one was there. Flawless. They fitted some locking wheel nuts while I was there. Lowered the tyre pressures to 42. Overall painless.

Car is immaculate. Washed. Cleaned inside. Perfect. I’m shocked how different it is from my 2019 3LR. Quality fit and finish are not even comparable. I’ve no idea where the complaints regarding ride quality are coming from. Seems absolutely fine.

Overall I’m mega impressed. Mega.