Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, hence the (🤣)
I couldn’t tell the difference in ride quality between the Gemini’s and the Inductions so went for the better looking wheel (IMO). Only half an inch difference in side wall after all.

Either way, as long as we are all happy that’s the main thing. ✊🏻

In terms of air volume in the tyre it's actually quite significant. But if you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter. I agree the inductions do look better, but not £2k better. They will also be more prone to kerb damage and then they won't look quite so good. I do wish the Gemini's were dark grey like the current M3 covers, but not enough to be arsed painting them!

In terms of air volume in the tyre it's actually quite significant. But if you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter. I agree the inductions do look better, but not £2k better. They will also be more prone to kerb damage and then they won't look quite so good. I do wish the Gemini's were dark grey like the current M3 covers, but not enough to be arsed painting them!
The Gemini’s are just as prone to kerb damage as the inductions if the Model Y facebook group is anything to go by. Just doesn’t stand out so much as it will on the black inductions. But you pay your money and take your choice. I would’ve been happy with Gemini’s too but something was nagging me to go with the 20’s. Oh yeah, the wife…..🙄

Reactions: VX Foxy
The Gemini’s are just as prone to kerb damage as the inductions if the Model Y facebook group is anything to go by. Just doesn’t stand out so much as it will on the black inductions. But you pay your money and take your choice. I would’ve been happy with Gemini’s too but something was nagging me to go with the 20’s. Oh yeah, the wife…..🙄
I kind of agree with you, but an extra half inch of tyre can make all the difference on a low kerb. All Tesla wheels are prone to damage because they are all flush with the tyre with no protective tyre bead like you see on some cars. My wife managed to kerb her 18" M3 wheel within the first week, but it was almost invisible and didn't even damage the wheel cover. Just grazed the outer lip of the actual alloy and was invisible after a bit of grey touch up paint. It would have caused much more damage on the 19 or 20" M3 alloys. So be careful! ;)

Collected my new MY MSM/Black/Gemini this morning from Bluewater. Hundreds of MY and M3s there. Relatively efficient key collection but really not enough staff for any car problems. Just charged the car and got out of there, left my inspection til I got home. The car like my Shanghai Model 3 is spot on as a build. First Class! I was slightly worried as in some respects I regretted losing the M3 which was by far and away the best Tesla I have had. I suspect Berlin may have a problem achieving the Shanghai build quality for some time!
Three problems, tyre pressures obviously, a paint chip on the door caused by an adjacent parked vehicle I imagine, and strangely only a single mud flap, got it booked in next week. Interestingly none of my previous M3s ever were referred to a SUC.
Amazing things I noticed on the drive home
- the best efficiency I have yet to get out of a Tesla on a motorway, just under 250.
- the amazing panoramic roof, a joy in full sunshine, I had only driven a Y in the dark before.
- the ease of access and great driving position.
Less amazing is the ride, not at all uncomfortable but noisy and a little skittish over uneven surfaces and small bumps. Hopefully will sort it out with reduction of tyre pressures and boot cover arriving in 2 weeks.
The car was very clean externally but there are remains of the Sahara under the bonnet and in the openings of each door. It had been washed but not valeted.

Less amazing is the ride, not at all uncomfortable but noisy and a little skittish over uneven surfaces and small bumps. Hopefully will sort it out with reduction of tyre pressures and boot cover arriving in 2 weeks.
Was this at 50 psi all round? I noticed the same thing on my drive home, but the noise and skittish behaviour disappeared when I dropped the tyres to 42 psi. It's a slightly firmer ride than our M3, but no less comfortable. The cabin does seem to transmit a little more road noise, but I guess that is because of the open boot and bigger interior volume. Sound system is great though, definitely better than our M3.

Was this at 50 psi all round? I noticed the same thing on my drive home, but the noise and skittish behaviour disappeared when I dropped the tyres to 42 psi. It's a slightly firmer ride than our M3, but no less comfortable. The cabin does seem to transmit a little more road noise, but I guess that is because of the open boot and bigger interior volume. Sound system is great though, definitely better than our M3.
Yes all round. It is negligent of Tesla to release new vehicles without any apparent checks. Those tyres at those pressures are probably both dangerous and illegal particularly considering the weight of the beast!

Yes all round. It is negligent of Tesla to release new vehicles without any apparent checks. Those tyres at those pressures are probably both dangerous and illegal particularly considering the weight of the beast!
I wouldn't go that far, but they are unnecessarily high and don't do the ride quality any favours. I drove home on them at 50 psi and it wasn't a disaster by any means. Just felt a bit jittery over small bumps, like the motoring press were complaining about! At 42 psi it was all smoothed out as you might expect. Probably get good motorway efficiency at 50 psi though! I had a friend who used to work for Dunlop as a tyre development engineer and he used to pump up his tyres for long motorway journeys to save a few quid in fuel!

Reactions: VX Foxy
I can only speak for the 19" wheels, but honestly the ride is more than acceptable on our pretty rough country roads. It is quite firm, but in a positive way. Damping is fine too. Maybe they changed the damper spec at some point, or the press are just full of s***! I would expect 20" wheels to be a notch down on ride quality (simple physics of a lower profile tyre sidewall), but I would imagine it's not a huge deal overall. The 20" wheels do look great, but I stuck with the 19" for the best ride possible. They look pretty good anyway.
I wish there were silver wheel options. I just can't get the hang of those black 20" or any black wheels really. Of course, I forgive them on a Tesla.

That's a shame. I'll probably end up in a similar situation with our M3 trade-in. Also got an estimate on Monday and now about to submit photos for a final offer. How does the deal look overall? The estimate I got was only £1k less than we paid for it new 15 months and 14k miles ago. So I'm not going to complain too much if they drop their offer a little as long as they don't low ball it. The trade-in I got on our 4 year old MX was £9k higher than what Motorway estimated, so Tesla are in my good books at the moment!
The deal still isn't bad, offering £49,736. (Paid £49,590, 30th Sept 21 pickup) It just feels a bit sour that they sent me the offer on Monday, so then I place an order and they drop it by the Wednesday.
I have raised this with Customer Services who are approaching the trade in team for me. I should hear back today supposedly.

Found this in the car a factory inspection list

Attachments

• 81676260-5C9A-4B61-8ECA-83C094F10B0A.jpeg
    81676260-5C9A-4B61-8ECA-83C094F10B0A.jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 88
Richard Symons has extensively tested both the 19s and 20s, and he says the ride on them is "roughly the same", so it's just stiff suspension, the wheels don't appear to make a noticeable difference.

It was after hearing that which made me change my order to the 20s.
my personal experience did not reveal that at all. And Symons may be a tad biased.

Does anyone know a rough time for home deliveries? It’s a GJ plate so assuming it’s coming from Bluewater. Haven’t received the delivery tracking text yet. It’s on a lease if that makes any difference
It can be any time of the day depending on how many others being delivered, their route and traffic etc.

It could arrive first thing or it could arrive late this evening.

was it the colour or the extra half inch that sold her on them. Either can be important to some people?